Ideas for closing gap between Rib Bed and Ceiling...

ahappychappie

T6 Guru
Hi,

As per picture there is gap between the Rib Bed (when in seat position) and Ceiling. We seem to carry more and more stuff - so ideally would like to put something in place like a net / in effect dog guard etc - between the gap so we can load from floor to ceiling. On a safety point, also would stop anything on the seat from flying over in the event of collision heaven forbid.

I'm sure this is done by many - even in a Kombi van probably - so just wondered what people had used, you can get the narrowish height Dog Guards - but these seem quite bulky... I've googled but not had a lightbulb moment - I'm sure I'm missing something obvious!?

Practical wise - the Rib Bed will be converted into a bed - so of course guard would have to come down, so would need to be something that's quick and easy for fix in place, plus takes minimal storage.

Thanks in advance

20220613_153927.jpg

Something like this?

Yes and No! Cargo net is probably the obvious solution - but if you look at the picture there's lots and lots of connections - so a 'faff' if camping and moving around having to set it up each time.

I was wondering if there was a 'quick fit' sort of solution!? I was sure someone on here would have a similar requirement and found a solution.

Appreciate the suggestion, keep the ideas coming...

The number of connections included are to give you a variety of options. For what you need you would only need to use the 4 most suitable clips or hooks. The kit also gives you suitable mounting points to install on the van

We had a cargo net. We just used four hooks and removed the others. Mounted on some D ring fasteners with self tappers.

The number of connections included are to give you a variety of options. For what you need you would only need to use the 4 most suitable clips or hooks. The kit also gives you suitable mounting points to install on the van

Thanks for the update - makes sense - and is pretty much the route I was looking at - as don't think there are any other options really - apart from fixed metal guard - which for my purpose to too bulky etc.

We had a cargo net. We just used four hooks and removed the others. Mounted on some D ring fasteners with self tappers.

Yep - defo seems to to be the way forward. I'm just always nervous of drilling into the van, but clearly has to be fastened secure so doesn't give way.

Hi,

As per picture there is gap between the Rib Bed (when in seat position) and Ceiling. We seem to carry more and more stuff - so ideally would like to put something in place like a net / in effect dog guard etc - between the gap so we can load from floor to ceiling. On a safety point, also would stop anything on the seat from flying over in the event of collision heaven forbid.

I'm sure this is done by many - even in a Kombi van probably - so just wondered what people had used, you can get the narrowish height Dog Guards - but these seem quite bulky... I've googled but not had a lightbulb moment - I'm sure I'm missing something obvious!?

Practical wise - the Rib Bed will be converted into a bed - so of course guard would have to come down, so would need to be something that's quick and easy for fix in place, plus takes minimal storage.

Thanks in advance

View attachment 160468
I have the same RIB set up & when travelling always pull up the headrests to maximum height and then we store our folded up camping chairs behind, taking up the full width of the bed.
This would then stop anything moving forward if you braked.
Gives another 6"/8" of height to safely fill

For @Oldrat cargo net suggestion, if you don't want to drill the van yourself, you could always ask Brandon to do it for you, as it looks like an @AJCConversions fit out?

Last edited:
I have the same RIB set up & when travelling always pull up the headrests to maximum height and then we store our folded up camping chairs behind, taking up the full width of the bed.
This would then stop anything moving forward if you braked.
Gives another 6"/8" of height to safely fill

For @Oldrat cargo net suggestion, if you don't want to drill the van yourself, you could always ask Brandon to do it for you, as it looks like an @AJCConversions fit out?
Hi,

Did try headrests option and prob would work - but when Camping kids are with us - and headrests at full height wasn't comfy for them - summer Hol involves circa 6/7 hours drive to Scotland this year - so not really fair to have them uncomfy for that long.

I've seen Oldrat's instructions - seem simple enough - though me and DIY don't get on LoL. Yep - an AJC fit out - hopefully can avoid having to harass Brandon for what is really a minor job - though I know he's always ever so helpful.

This is the only pic that I have showing mounting points, these are on the inside uprights by the tailgate.
(Sorry, six points not four.)

The cargo net attached at three points each side, and went from the floor to 3/4 the available height.

I put it in to stop the bedding etc falling out when I opened the tailgate.

But you could use the same idea higher up, to stop stuff coming over the top of the seats.

My only thought is that you’d want to be 100% certain that none of your ‘load’ was able to move over the seat top in a collision, so perhaps consider a non stretch net, rather than an elastic cargo net!

34AC4313-ADC1-4561-AE9F-742A0F3A6975.jpeg

This is the only pic that I have showing mounting points, these are on the inside uprights by the tailgate.
(Sorry, six points not four.)

The cargo net attached at three points each side, and went from the floor to 3/4 the available height.

I put it in to stop the bedding etc falling out when I opened the tailgate.

But you could use the same idea higher up, to stop stuff coming over the top of the seats.

My only thought is that you’d want to be 100% certain that none of your ‘load’ was able to move over the seat top in a collision, so perhaps consider a non stretch net, rather than an elastic cargo net!

View attachment 160648

Thanks - makes sense - principal is exactly the same like you say.

Yep, 100% needs to be firm enough to take load and withstand any sudden force against it.

Back