First van, first self build

Great looking van you've built!
With the Swell Shades - is there a reason one looks like it pulls top to bottom, and one is bottom to top?

Great looking van you've built!
With the Swell Shades - is there a reason one looks like it pulls top to bottom, and one is bottom to top?
All pull bottom to top other than the sliding door for some reason. The barn doors are obviously this way because the bottom of the window is wider than the top but not sure about the others to be honest. I'm sure I read somewhere on this forum before the reasoning behind it but cant remember. Not sure if it had something to do with my drivers side window being a slider or not.

A few weekends ago I set about installing a webasto heater. Ideally I was hoping I could get someone else to do this but I couldn't find anyone with the parts or the space in their schedule to book the van in so figured I'd give it a bash. After lots of reading on the forum and installation manuals I began. For those attempting this I would jack the van up as high as possible, I only had it up on bits of wood under the wheels so spent a lot of time hitting my head on the underside of the van. Once all the underway is removed it's relatively easy to drop the fuel tank (unless your on your own) and pull to the side in order to remove the sender unit. Once the suction pipe was fitted it was just a case of refitting it and running the pipes to the pump and then to the heater which I positioned under the driver seat. The worst part for me was the outlet as all my electrics are under the seat so finding a good place to drill the hole was a real struggle. Still waiting on the controller being sent out so I csn actually test it so fingers crossed it works.

20210526_083435.jpg

20210526_135258.jpg

20210526_143534.jpg

20210526_145934.jpg

20210527_151607.jpg

20210527_160308.jpg

Reactions: CAB
A long 15 weeks had gone by but my evomotion units finally arrived. (Still waiting on the right splashback being sent out after them sending out 2 wrong ones previously) other than that I have to say the kit is really well made and pretty straight forward to put together. Now to take it all back out to run the electrics into the unit and fit the gas and water pipework for the hose. Trying to decide on the placement of things and what size water tank to get is the real struggle.

IMG_20210618_164757_059.jpg

IMG_20210618_164757_105.jpg

IMG_20210620_194226_015.jpg

IMG_20210620_194226_060.jpg

This weekend was spent modding my vanfurniture sliding bed so it sits flush with the rear door so I get the maximum space for entry/exit on the sliding door. Its all held securely down with these threaded screws i found. Great for being able to easily remove the bed without leaving anything protruding from the floor. Once that was all sorted the altro was glued down. Also mid process of making a sliding tray for my bike. The logistics are a lot harder than I thought when I took into account I still wanted to be able to use the bed at full width without removing the tray.

View attachment 101215

View attachment 101220

View attachment 101221

View attachment 101223

View attachment 101224
Hello, where is the flooring from?

This is the sort of arrangement I'm looking at.....very nice work!
What is the total width of your bed, 1100, 1200?
Did you consider the L shape from Vanfurniture?

looks good! do you have any photos of the bed looking in from the side door .Been looking at these beds but cant visualize how much space I might gain over a RIB bed

This is the sort of arrangement I'm looking at.....very nice work!
What is the total width of your bed, 1100, 1200?
Did you consider the L shape from Vanfurniture?
Its about 1200 but in theory you could make it narrower or slightly wider depending on how far you slide out the extending bed section. I did consider the L shape but because i wanted to leave a space down the middle for when i have my bike in it wouldn't have worked. When the bikes not in i usually just leave the rear section out so its like a L shape anyway as it works best for eating off the table.

looks good! do you have any photos of the bed looking in from the side door .Been looking at these beds but cant visualize how much space I might gain over a RIB bed
I dont have one on me but i'll try and remember to take one when i get home. I had to fashion a new side piece out of a similar ply as with the door open there was a gap as the bed has a cut out for the wheel arch which is universal for different vans so extends further than you may want. I also shaped mine so it sits flush with the rear door meaning i get the maximum space for going in and out of the sliding door. I'd say you gain loads of extra useable storage with these beds as well compared to a generic rib bed not to mention how much cheaper they are. It was a no brainer for me considering i wasn't going to have passengers in the back when driving around.

I dont have one on me but i'll try and remember to take one when i get home. I had to fashion a new side piece out of a similar ply as with the door open there was a gap as the bed has a cut out for the wheel arch which is universal for different vans so extends further than you may want. I also shaped mine so it sits flush with the rear door meaning i get the maximum space for going in and out of the sliding door. I'd say you gain loads of extra useable storage with these beds as well compared to a generic rib bed not to mention how much cheaper they are. It was a no brainer for me considering i wasn't going to have passengers in the back when driving around.
Cheers for that .I actually have a RIB bed fitted at the moment but would like to free up some more useable space inside for sitting .Its a great bed but find it a bit restricted at night if no awning attached. What length did you get ?

Cheers for that .I actually have a RIB bed fitted at the moment but would like to free up some more useable space inside for sitting .Its a great bed but find it a bit restricted at night if no awning attached. What length did you get ?
makes sense. I went for the 1800. I could measure the gap between the b pillar and the edge of the bed if you want? Just as i know some people are worried about it encroaching on the space to get in/out of the sliding door. Mines is a SWB so if you have a LWB it would be more than enough

makes sense. I went for the 1800. I could measure the gap between the b pillar and the edge of the bed if you want? Just as i know some people are worried about it encroaching on the space to get in/out of the sliding door. Mines is a SWB so if you have a LWB it would be more than enough
SWB too a photo will do great when u get time (no rush) .Will be interesting to see as you have the same evo units as me as well!!

I think you said you did some alterations to the bed to get to sit flush to the back door? Was it structural or just a bit of scribing? With it being 1800mm, I'm guessing it gives you a little bit more room by the slider....
Who did your cushions?

I think you said you did some alterations to the bed to get to sit flush to the back door? Was it structural or just a bit of scribing? With it being 1800mm, I'm guessing it gives you a little bit more room by the slider....
Who did your cushions?
Not sure if you can see in that pic very well but its nothing too structural. Just really following the contour of the rear corner. There is a vertical support underneath that I had to move forward a bit but other than that it wasn't too difficult. It's worthwhile to do as it does gain you quite a bit more space.
My mother gets full credit for the cushions! I just bought some foam online and cut to size then the covers are a set of curtains from dunelm which she made to fit the foam.

20210123_190551.jpg

Back