First Time Away With The Young Un - Where Does Your 1 Year Old Sleep?

j4ckal

VIP Member
T6 Guru
So it's coming up to our first trip away in the van with our young one, he'll be just over 1 year old when we go away.
Where is the best place for him to sleep do we think and what do the rest of you do?

The van is virtually fully converted with a Cali seat/bed, reimo roof and driver's/passenger double on swivels.

I'm assuming the front hammock type beds that go over the front seats aren't safe enough for a one year old?
Would he be ok up in the pop top on his own if I fitted the safety net? Or just sleep downstairs with his mum and me upstairs? (We also have a dog though)...
Or mum and son upstairs and me and the dog downstairs?

Any advice greatly appreciated as I'm new to all this (the baby thing, not camping in a van :) ).

Cheers.

Is he crawling? I’d be concerned with him being in the pop top. My 6 year old fell out of the roof once as he wriggles when he sleeps (was 4 at the time) and I found him under the RIB bed! He was ok, crying but didn’t even get woken up!

We had ours in a Koodie pop up cot/tent thing sat on top of one of those stretchers which fit across the front seats. Did that until she was 2, then switched to just using the stretcher until we bought the T6 and had a pop top fitted. :thumbsup:

Not alone in the pop top, I’d suggest the first nights alone with mum upstairs and then see how you go. Do you have heating? This time of year can get cold - especially in a pop top.

Thanks for the replies.
Yes I'd look at one of those koo-di pop up travel cots for last year when he was younger, but we never made it away. Good idea with putting it on the stretcher type bed then using that when they get bigger. Do the stretcher type beds pack away small enough?

Yes he is crawling and nearly walking, and into anything he can get his hands on.

At what age would we say the pop top is suitable for sleeping in then, more toddler age? So the safety nets don't completely seal off the pop top area then? i.e a younger nipper could easily fall past one?

Heating wise- we'll only be on hook up sites for a while and have got an oil filled rad and small fan heater.

Just build a removable hatch that can be put in place when they're up there. 18mm carpeted mdf would do it. That's what I'm going to do.

:rofl:
Thanks for the replies.
Yes I'd look at one of those koo-di pop up travel cots for last year when he was younger, but we never made it away. Good idea with putting it on the stretcher type bed then using that when they get bigger. Do the stretcher type beds pack away small enough?

Yes he is crawling and nearly walking, and into anything he can get his hands on.

At what age would we say the pop top is suitable for sleeping in then, more toddler age? So the safety nets don't completely seal off the pop top area then? i.e a younger nipper could easily fall past one?

Heating wise- we'll only be on hook up sites for a while and have got an oil filled rad and small fan heater.

We found that our boy tended to crawl forward in his sleep, so pointed him in the other direction and he can’t escape that way!

We also put him in a sleeping bag now and that slows him down!

:slow rofl:

Def would have the 1 year old downstairs and put 1 adult upstairs - my boy was 3 last year and I couldn’t keep him out of the roof - no net but the sleeping bag trap works.
Have you seen the inflatable baby beds that look like a boat - not bc sure if that could be utilised.

Saw something on ebay that someone had created to help with this.. not sure if it would've helped- I cant find it now.. otherwise I would have put a link.

Help as much as said - not a lot.. haha! Sorry.

Back