Baby Sleeping Setup - DSG Handbrake Question

jagnew

Hi Everyone,

We're just about to do our first trip in our t6.1 camper conversion. We have 8 month old baby who we want to sleep in the front of the van. The idea is pretty simple, turn the two caption seats to face each other. Lay down the base of our Joie main travel cot, it's a thin foldable mattress with two metal poles to keep it solid. This allows us to have nice flat surface which we put koo-di pop-up travel cot on (picture attached). The issue is the handbrake can't be engaged in this mode, however it is DSG so van will hold.

Is there a way to get the handbrake to work in this setup by remove some of the plastic from the seat? or alternatively could we use some leveling blocks to improve the hold on the van?

Thanks
Jason

IMG_1378.jpg

I dont see a huge problem leaving the handbrake off as long as you are on a flat level surface, i think a big issue would be if you are on a slope as this would put tension on the gearbox and it can let out a big bang/knock when you try to move off and force it out of park/into a gear, i am of the understanding that putting it in park locks the gearbox so no revolutions are possible ie it cannot role away but not sure how tough the lock mechanism is if you are relying on it ?

Thinking form a worst case perspective, what would happen if you are parked without handbrake and another vehicle strikes yours etc etc, not really a problem on a campsite but a factor if you are parking elsewhere maybe ?

Turn the seats fully around... put a cusion on the floor and hope the baby doesn't roll off the seats?

??

I'd just put it in park, I only use the handbrake if I'm parked on a decent hill.

I agree with the above, you don't need it but you can buy and fit a Handbrake Lowering Kit

Thanks everyone for replying so quickly. It sounds like we should be okay without the handbrake, I've ordered some chocks for added safety. And we're planning to use a campsite.

@IestynD I did try the seats fully turned round but the driver seat doesn't leave enough room, I guess it might be possible to squeal the cot in. I figured I can always see how I feel when I'm there.

@Chris Sherwood Thanks for the suggestion, this could be easy long term solution.

Back