Fire Extinguishers

xpfloyd

T6 Legend
What type of extinguishers are you guys using in your campers? So much conflicting info online it's hard to know what's best. Some say powder is best others say you won't be able to see anything after a second with powder. Some say AFFF suitable for all types others say not suitable for electric.

So what do you guys carry? I want a extinguisher and a small fire blanket for cooking fires

Cooking fire then powder is the obvious option, water and oil dont go well ;)
I don't fancy the entire van being instantly filled with powder and the oxygen gone so will be using a fire blanket for cooking fires if I have one. Just trying to chose a suitable extinguisher in case I get a non cooking fire in the van

If your worried about getting powder everywhere then CO2 is an option but not ideal and that will displace oxygen too. The answer to cooking fires in the van is to cook outside away from the van Cadac safari chef style

Hmm sounds like powder is the answer then. I'm more thinking along the lines of an electrical fire or the curtains catching fire while cooking etc as opposed to a actual cooking fire. Just want to be prepared as would hate a fire to break out and have nothing to tackle it with

I suppose it comes down to this, would you prefer to clean up powder or watch your van go up in flames lol

I wouldn't worry about oxygen displacement, you should be fighting any fire from the safety of the outside world if it is that bad you can't chuck a fire blanket over it and by that time a bit of white powder would be the last of your worries

I think this is a valid question..

My thoughts are that if you are in the rear, use CO2, especially if you have asthma, young kids/pets (yes some kids are animals! :rofl:) etc, then have powder by the exits, but only use when all are out, as there are health considerations.. It is also why you should cook with the slider unlatched and ajar, and a clear throw space outside.. :eek:

Remember.. Egress first, fight second ! (no that does not apply to pub fights.. They are done in situ.. :eek::D:rofl:)

Last edited:
What advice from our Fire & Rescue members please ? I agree safety of life is paramount, always have a clear exit, and the idea of a clear chuck space is good but often complicated by awnings etc. A fire blanket of a good size is a necessity to smother flames or give a protective shield while cooking fuel is turned off. However, Professionals - over to you !

Oh there is so much I could write about this thread but I'll not bore you with the science.

• Why would you be cooking without moving curtains out the way first? You're just asking for trouble.
  • A fire does not just spring up from nowhere and catch you unawares there are warning signs first. If you are attending your cooking at all times as you should for safety, then there are really simple options such as remove the pan from the heat or turn off the heat. Unattended cooking is one of the main causes of fire in the home. If you are with the pan you'll never need more than a blanket.
  • It's not as though you are using a saucepan full of oil to deep fry chips; and if you are what the hell would you do that in your van for!
  • Personally I would never use a Powder extinguisher in the van, at most I would use a co2. However, sod the van, so long as my family are out and away from it, it can burn. It is replaceable and too many people get hurt trying to fight fires because they think they are fire fighters or invincible as soon as they get an extinguisher in their hands.
  • Having seen the extinguisher Loz has posted it looks pretty good and can do class B, C, E and F fires, so it'll do class A by default.
  • All this talk about extinguishers but how many of you have a smoke detector in the van/ awning? An extinguisher is not going to wake you up in the middle of the night to warn you about the presence of fire.

Yeah, I'd egress fighting with a CO2, call fire brigade, and stand by door if safe to and blast with a big powder until empty whilst shouting "FIRE" to warn others around vehicle then walk away.. Banging on vehicles near to mine to awake or alert people.. Oh and moving any gas cylinders away if I could.. That's one point to tell the FB when they arrive, is where they are in the vehicle or area concerned, as well as what type and size they are if possible..

Not sure what you shout on an Army or military base.. If I shouted "FIRE!" I think I'd duck afterwards! :eek::rofl::rofl:

It may be a small vehicle but a Fire Plan is essential so that all occupants bail out safely. If sleeping children are in sleeping bags then just drag them out in the bag. Too many open doors create draught to feed the fire and deflect flames

Last edited:
Note, I think I'll make myself clear, I'd not attempt to put out the fire, I'd be using the co2 for egress, and the powder to slow the fire whilst giving time for surrounding campers to awake or become aware, and to slow the fire until FB arrived, or more kit and trained people.. If I managed to put it out, I'd still want FB attendance to check it was out properly.. Life and limb are more important, and being amongst campers you have a certain unwritten duty to care and protect them as well from your fire..

Another consideration...... Sorry but..

Leisure battery installations.. I'd recommend an isolation switch so that in the event of your leisure electrics giving cause of fire, you turn and remove to kill battery supply, this is also why it is a good idea when parked up to pop bonnet and leave on latch, just put a note or "remove before flight" tag somewhere to remind you, although the mfd will tell you as well.. That way you or FB can cut the main battery cable if needs..

Years ago, when I was a lad, I had a car that started to fill up with smoke due to elec fire caused by faulty ign switch.. I managed to have presence of mind enough to pull over, pop the bonnet pull, and rip the battery connection off.. It saved the car! And a powder or co2 would have been no use in this instance as the source of the fire would have still been connected and "feeding" the fire, unless like I had, you managed to disconnect or "remove" the source of ignition..

Last edited:
Any advice (or photos of your installtion) on the best place to fit a fire ex on a T6 campervan? :)

The one I posted in post #3 fits in the pocket on the side of the drivers seat base.

Back