Find owner of registration

GtiOli

T6 Pro
Hi,

With a new van on order I have been thinking about private registrations (as if I hadn’t got enough to buy). My first car was a 1978 mini which had a great 6 digit reg, when I sold the car the plate was transferred and I have seen it’s now on a Fiat. I’d love to track it down and see if I could buy it back, but have no idea how to do it, has anyone any ideas??

Plaster it on social media, offering a small reward, it can be a small world?

Is it a classic Fiat ?
if so, you could try owners clubs.

Pete

No it’s a 2016 1242cc thing, makes it even worse lol.
I had thought about social media, might try it, just didn’t know if plastering the reg online was really a good thing to do!

Hi,

With a new van on order I have been thinking about private registrations (as if I hadn’t got enough to buy). My first car was a 1978 mini which had a great 6 digit reg, when I sold the car the plate was transferred and I have seen it’s now on a Fiat. I’d love to track it down and see if I could buy it back, but have no idea how to do it, has anyone any ideas??
Having been on a ‘78 Mini and a Fiat it must have been the most reliable part on both vehicles, worth keeping.

Unfortunately, the old bill aren't as obliging as they used to be. Any check is computer registered and is tagged the reason for the search, theft, RTA, etc. A simple road side stop is logged and the reason why. So culpability recorded. Had a friends daughter pull out of side road in stationary traffic, woman in the near side screamed up and stopped gave the lass a right mouth full of proper soldier language. Then when the ped x lights changed allowing cars to move, rammed the back of her 3 times. An independent motorist gave his details as a witness. Road rage, failing to report an accident, driving without due care. Police not the least bit interested. Cressida p***k in charge of that service (note Service LOL, not Force) Insurance company can't proceed with the other driver as not reported to the Police, and won't therefore give her the owners details. I have no idea what the Police is therefore anymore, no traffic, no beat, useless at Wembley. Just a political blame game, and the public are too passive to do anything.
I'll stop there as I know that Paul, wants to keep the politics out and keep the forum as friendly as possible.
Apologies if I have gone too far, and Paul will remove, and I am a guest on his forum after all.

Apologies if I have gone too far, and Paul will remove, and I am a guest on his forum after all.
As a retired Police Officer I'd say this - There are extremely good reasons why Police Officers and staff go to prison for unofficially helping a mate by doing a quick computer check, it has really resulted in violence including shootings and other violent crime. Some criminals will offer big money for information about a registration number and even recruit a "clean" person to make the request so it appears reasonable.

But your experience and opinions are as valid as anybody else's IMO. The right to speak freely and express your opinions (as long as it's not hateful or criminal) is one of the rights that we take for granted in the UK.
The day you can't level fair criticism at a tax payer funded institution will be a sad day, as many people living in other parts of the world already know.

Do a DVLA check see if its still on the road.. if its not there may be a way of getting hold of it...

I just googled the reg number of my Mk2 Golf. It came up with some images that I posted on a forum a few years ago with links to the thread.

You never know, the reg might come up on a facebook post.

wifes a police officer. you have gone too far. i suggest you try dealing with some of their jobs for c 30k. a year. no way would i do it. if you really want to continue ranting, look up police pay rises against inflation for the last ten years, look up theresa mays cuts to their funding, look up how they've had their expected service length lengthened and their pension shortened. look up how the first thirty minutes of overtime is without pay (its for the queen apparantly). look up how many of them were still going into messy houses in the midst of a global pandemic looking for criminals. and learn how to stay on topic.

you used to be able to write to the dvla and say you'd bumped a car in a car park but for the same reasons police officers dont do a look up without a case number, i doubt this trick has worked in the last 15 years.

just find another plate. look for rusting cars in back yards and ask if they're available for a price. i once bought a rusty old jag for G60LHD cos i had a left hook G60. i gave the jag away for free in the end.

Thanks all, I had thought I would try the DVLA as nothing to loose but doubt get anywhere, I wondered if any of the guys in the trade here had any ideas like detailed car searches and history checks.
The registration was TEW45S, more personal value than a sort after registration for anyone else.

Haha I don't think you went far enough to be honest! Horses for courses though I guess, but I don't think your assessment is too far off the mark nowadays... certainly from my personal experience. Obviously minus the part about paying to do checks... that has never been acceptable, and it's nearly unheard of for good reason!

Short answer to the topic though.... there is no lawful means of identifying the owner of that plate in these circumstances. Far easier to buy another one, or make it one of your bucket list things to drive around the whole of the UK just to bump into that plate again

Last edited:
Yep, it'll give you V23 history, HPI etc. but it still won't give you any personal details.

Pretty reliable checker for general due diligence though

@bytejunkie;
I am a retired Police officer of 30 years service. Grunwicks, Miners Strike, Tottenahm and Brixton Riots. Been bricked, bitten, punched and spat on.1977 3 days a month Compulsory over time. Every weekend for 7 years was either, Spurs or Arsenal, plus Sundays Iran-Iraq marches. 19 years before I had a News Eve off. 8 years a Coroners Officer, 3000 post mortems, from cot death to a suicide a month. Not a single friend left who speaks up for the 'Job'. When you've trod the boards, then come and get on the stage.
Don't even get me started on pay, applying for subsistence allowance under Ted Heath. Then moved from Cheshire to the Met. When your a cop the whole family pays. Wife lost 2 jobs as her colleagues thought she would grass them up. First day at school for my 7 year old son, nose broke on the sink. Because he made the mistake of saying his Dad was a copper. My daughter was beaten up in secondary school, needed counselling, and had to moved school. Was never that flamboyant girl ever again.

Last edited:
Back