Factory reverse-camera issue when selecting reverse.

Craigsom

VCDS User
T6 Guru
has anyone else experienced these issues with the park pilot/reverse camera, just suddenly came up with this message and hasn't worked since ??

camera.jpg

I see that occasionally like if i flick in and out of reverse to quickly or the van does a stop start while reversing but its rare and doesnt last long

was gonna do that as got service booked in june, was just curious if anyone else had the same issue or is it rare ?? 12 months old and the problems are starting :sick::sick:

I see that occasionally like if i flick in and out of reverse to quickly or the van does a stop start while reversing but its rare and doesnt last long

I was hoping it was something I had done, but its been like it for a few days now :-(

Plug in with VCDS? Might tell you something.. Mine failed to come on, display and interior lights said hatch was closed, but opened it and closed it a bit harder than the norm, and then tried again... Sorted. Although it didn't have a message on the screen like that that I remember..

@Walski, the only time I have had that is when the tailgate was open. Well I say open, the van thought it was open, even though buttoned up tight. Opened it, shut it, selected reverse and it started working again.

had this on my t5.1, open and shut all the doors, ignition on/off and it seemed happy again, probably did it 10 times over 3 year period but never any faults logged in any control unit.

mine had always kicked back in to life by the time I could plug in so no surprise that it was always clear. I always assumed a door contact was amiss but could never prove it, dealer looked twice but always came back with the popular line...no fault found : /

Try your fuse
I retro fitted mine camera and took the power from the reversing lights (not enough power) and it kept bringing this screen up worth a try anyway

Try your fuse
I retro fitted mine camera and took the power from the reversing lights (not enough power) and it kept bringing this screen up worth a try anyway
Did you manage to solve this , I'm thinking of adding a Garmin BC30 wireless reversing camera to my T6 and concerned that it will create problems if connected to reversing lamps , anybody have any experience of this info would be much appreciated .

has anyone else experienced these issues with the park pilot/reverse camera, just suddenly came up with this message and hasn't worked since ??

View attachment 8301
Yes, unfortunately, I have seen that, too :(. Reported it to the dealer. There are other vans, too o_O.
I have seen two different cases: 1) The Park Pilot..., 2) No picture from reverse camera.
As @Pauly's - rare, and next time works just fine. No quick way (other than engine shut down/restart) to get it working when fault is on. For example, switching DSG between R,N,D,N,R didn't help :thumbsdown:.
Nothing on VCDS :cautious:. Nothing on MFD.

You have to be careful powering the camera purely from reverse lights as due to canbus/bulb monitoring they do not receive a clean 12 volt supply but more of a fluctuating voltage which some cameras dont like.
The factory camera takes two positive feeds, one is a permanent 12v to actually power the camera and a second live from the reverse which activates it

@Wabbit took a feed from the fuse box in dash, powered on ignition live everything works ok unless i go from R,N,R,N etc etc and it comes up with a blank screen as above

@Shaw many thanks ,the Garmin needs a direct feed from reversing light ( only one live ) to the transmitter otherwise it means manually switching when needed , so looks like it's a retro fit of a VW camera to the head unit . Hoped to save a bit of money and use my exiting Garmin Driveluxe

If the camera doenst like being fed of reverse feed the only alternative would be to use the reverse feed to trigger a relay that has a direct 12v feed

Plug in with VCDS? Might tell you something.. Mine failed to come on, display and interior lights said hatch was closed, but opened it and closed it a bit harder than the norm, and then tried again... Sorted. Although it didn't have a message on the screen like that that I remember..

I have plugged in my VCDS and it is showing an electrical fault, reverse camera?? so it would seem that there is an internal electrical fault, I guess the only option is for the monkeys at VW to pull it all apart :mad::mad::mad:

Back