F45 awning sheared off

Groover

Our 1st proper trip in our brand new T6. Came back from our walk to find awning had sheered off, another camper had lifted it back up. The articulated arm had sheered off and then a pool of water had caused the bracket rivets to fail. Hence the awning fell and scratched our 6 week old van. There had been some rain but awning was angled. Now notice that on reverse it says “Support” in 3 places - each end and the middle but only 2 brackets. I think it’s 2.6m. Any one else have this problem or has 3 brackets? Any advice ? It’s a Bilbo’s conversion

99C713AC-18A9-49CB-9317-5A13CC47F5DB.jpeg

3B5A2EB2-2126-4C41-8EBF-54895920EA7B.jpeg

I think the support sticker is for when your are winding it out initially about 1/4 before you can put the legs out and down.
There is an optional rafter which can go in the centre but no '3rd leg'.
Was it windy too?

Our 1st proper trip in our brand new T6. Came back from our walk to find awning had sheered off, another camper had lifted it back up. The articulated arm had sheered off and then a pool of water had caused the bracket rivets to fail. Hence the awning fell and scratched our 6 week old van. There had been some rain but awning was angled. Now notice that on reverse it says “Support” in 3 places - each end and the middle but only 2 brackets. I think it’s 2.6m. Any one else have this problem or has 3 brackets? Any advice ? It’s a Bilbo’s conversion

View attachment 169086

View attachment 169087
Gutted. Sorry to read this.

Is it worth talking to Bilbos if they installed it? Could be a manufacturing/installation problem?

Die-cast aluminum, not known for it’s load bearing characteristics but often used in Italian manufacturing.

I’m afraid you have learned the hard way that these awnings do not like rain and or wind. It only takes a very mild gust or a teacup of rain and they break.
Other than winding them in whenever you leave them you should also consider using both a centre rafter and a tie down strap.
We also have a Bilbo’s and I am sure they will have fitted it correctly - they are very professional.

Reactions: CAB
Yep we never go away from van with awning out, recommend a wratchet strap thrown over and anchored to ground via spike or whstever

Had same issue in france few years ago in Motorhome, learned the hard way,

View attachment 169086

View attachment 169087
Gutted for you… hope the damage to the van isn’t too bad.

Back