Extra Warranty surcharge ?

Dave Mac

High-Top
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Just had the emissions light come on, rang the local dealer who sold me the vehicle will give it a diagnostic check next Monday, earliest they can do it.
Now here is the interesting bit, Sir due to Covid 19 we will need you to pay a surcharge for our PPE, he never had the chance to tell me the cost as I stated it’s warranty work and VW will pay it and also get them to provide a decent EGR Valve then there would be no need for the PPE costs.
He tried to give me some story about they can’t factor in extraordinary costs, I stated my company cannot either but if we want to trade we have to swallow this cost or sit at home, I’m paying for mine and am certainly not paying for yours also.
He said to take this up with the service manager on the day, I said I’ll just run it as it is Until the pandemic is sorted, he said no no bring it on Monday.
Am I being unreasonable?

Wow! Have seen many hairdressers with a PPE surcharge, but a garage? How close are they going to stand?

no, stick to your guns.
Why not call VW Assist and get a man out... (request a VW tech not a regular AA man) he can also fast track it into the dealer if required.

Mention putting in a counter claim for having your van sanitised after the repair work.

no, stick to your guns.
Why not call VW Assist and get a man out... (request a VW tech not a regular AA man) he can also fast track it into the dealer if required.
If it expires into limp mode I will, but I’m using the car and motorhome until the new roof is fitted, so no big issue other than the fact they have more cheek than an elephants backside.

Our emissions engine light came on; I followed the advice on here, called VW Assist. Held out for a VW Tech (not an AA patrol).

Once he confirmed the EGR needed flushing I was able to book it into a VW dealer for it to be done under warranty. That was during semi-lockdown.

I wouldn't expect to pay anything extra, certainly not for warranty work. There have been some recent tales on here of being charged for 'diagnostics' if warranty issues are not found. Getting the VW Assist Tech to confirm it first (for free) means you shouldn't need to go through that.

I may turn up suited and booted, as an ex fire officer my mate still runs the stores and a gas tight suit would look the part.
Type 1 suit may be slight overkill, but effective!

I have been told on several occasions i would have to pay for things linked to a warranty claim and have always just plain refused and its never been an issue

The most common one seems to be £15 for some insurance type product on a courtesy vehicle while yours is in for work, i even had them tell me they were going to remove my gearbox to investigate an issue and if no fault was found they would charge me £650 labour to refit it !

Now here is the interesting bit, Sir due to Covid 19 we will need you to pay a surcharge for our PPE, he never had the chance to tell me the cost as I stated it’s warranty work and VW will pay it and also get them to provide a decent EGR Valve then there would be no need for the PPE costs.
He tried to give me some story about they can’t factor in extraordinary costs, I stated my company cannot either but if we want to trade we have to swallow this cost or sit at home, I’m paying for mine and am certainly not paying for yours also.
He said to take this up with the service manager on the day, I said I’ll just run it as it is Until the pandemic is sorted, he said no no bring it on Monday.
Am I being unreasonable?

No - you aren't being unreasonable, your arguments are cock on and is the same scenario as any business trying to operate in this weird world today.
Your conversation is the same one as I had with a main dealer last week, when I was booking in for Warranty work, to be completed today.
The booking in guy told me there was a £5.75 charge for sanitizing my vehicle upon delivery to the dealer, so the tech could have a clean environment to work in, and then another cleaning procedure to complete upon handover back to me, so I could drive home safe in the knowledge that all was Covid 19 free.
I was ready for a deep and meaningful conversation, to politely put my point across this morning, when I was to drop it off.

But... no conversation was needed, as no charge was asked for!

So, stand your guns if need be, but if like me you may not need to?

I have been told on several occasions i would have to pay for things linked to a warranty claim and have always just plain refused and its never been an issue

The most common one seems to be £15 for some insurance type product on a courtesy vehicle while yours is in for work, i even had them tell me they were going to remove my gearbox to investigate an issue and if no fault was found they would charge me £650 labour to refit it !
I’m in full agreement, I did say that I’m paying nothing as the van hasn’t covered 10.000miles yet and if they want money out me I’ll return the vehicle as not fit or serviceable or as described.

The mechanics should be wearing gloves anyway, so what's to pay for unless he's going to lick the steering wheel!
Just point out that you will be invoicing them for your lost time due to the vehicle being unreliable and having to bring it in!

The mechanics should be wearing gloves anyway, so what's to pay for unless he's going to lick the steering wheel!
Just point out that you will be invoicing them for your lost time due to the vehicle being unreliable and having to bring it in!
I’ve compiled a list of charges and costs and will record all phone calls with VW York from now on, and they wonder why they get called Main Stealers!
It’s supposed to get me to Peterhead at the weekend to do some work so maybe an assist call needs to be made.
My next door neighbour is service manager for a main dealer brand and says it’s all about bottom line profit, tell them their now famous on the forum and your open to a freebie for a good will post and see what he offers.

So VW Assist responded this morning within 45 mins of my call.
A very competent and honest tech, he stated that it’s not really in a state to drive any distance and if you get more than 20 mpg as it is you will be lucky, it’s not giving any real power and needs a flush at least or a new EGR the boys in the shop will do what it needs.
Awaiting an Enterprise hire van as I type this.

Reactions: CAB
Its always a flush under warranty and a new expensive part once the warranty lapses! Or is that just me being cynical!

I’ve needed an egr flush (van only did 600 miles in 18 months at dealers) so I’m monitoring. If its a regular failure I might buy a second EGR so I can swap over so I can clean the original at leisure.

Ian

Its always a flush under warranty and a new expensive part once the warranty lapses! Or is that just me being cynical!

I’ve needed an egr flush (van only did 600 miles in 18 months at dealers) so I’m monitoring. If its a regular failure I might buy a second EGR so I can swap over so I can clean the original at leisure.

Ian
I’ve scanned the van before the Vw tech arrived and will keep the info and scan and monitor the results monthly from now on, I’m a bit obstinate when I feel wronged so poor old VAG are now in my sites for the next 24 months of warranty.

And here is the hire vehicle

2B487B77-6FF6-45D1-8235-359A40F2219A.jpeg

Hopefully no big materials needed in the next few days?

I’ve scanned the van before the Vw tech arrived and will keep the info and scan and monitor the results monthly from now on, I’m a bit obstinate when I feel wronged so poor old VAG are now in my sites for the next 24 months of warranty.

Are you able to see build up of soot in the EGR or just the fault details? I know you can read off DFP ash content.

Ian

Not checked the scan readout yet as on my way to mans country to do some work near Peterhead.

:mad:Those cheeky Main Dealer cnuts. I have a Golf that was in for first service on Monday. I didn't check the invoice..... They've tucked me up for £5 + VAT for PPE. This was never mentioned during booking or dropoff/collection. They also say they no longer offer a courtesy wash (wipe down with grit ingrained sponge) due to COVID (I always ask them not to wash anyway). They did say there was a £7.50 fuel charge. Normally they just ask that a loan car is returned with same amount of fuel in it. I managed to use my £7.50 worth though and took it back with the light on..... I also asked for the rest of the screenwash to be told they used a whole bottle. I did lose interest trying to discuss it with the Service bim however.... Annoyed now I've just spotted the PPE surcharge....

service invoice.jpg

I did leave the tracker set with a geofence whilst it was at the Stealer. It was gratifying for once that the road test was just a gentle drive round the industrial estate rather than a full on rag by the technician down the local bypass......

golf track.PNG

Last edited:
Back