Exploria Kombi Beds

Twoguns

T6 Guru
Has anybody got one of these bed systems and could give a review as to how good or bad they are?

I'm looking for a sleeping solution where I can still retain the functionality of a van when needed by being able to take it out with minimum effort and also provide a reasonably comfortable sleeping solution.

Going by their web site this system looks ideal for me as I can use it to do quick overnight sleeps and when needed remove it to pile the gear in the back. So was hoping that somebody could give an honest review as to how reality is compared to the hype that sometimes manufacture’s portray.

@Twoguns You've just asked the question for me...I am looking at one also as for me it would have multiple uses i.e removable bed, parcel shelf to cover up expensive photographic equipment and somewhere for my dogs to sit...
I noticed they have recently tweeked the design (and price!) so it now runs on some sort of bearings when you extend it...

I was at exploria on Friday having windows fitted. A guy had just had one fitted in a T6 while I was there and I was impressed with it, they come in several heights but I think the most popular is a size 4.
Its going to work out expensive for me as I need to purchase the kombi seats etc, so it would be a toss up between going down that route, or getting a decent removable r & r bed.

@superflyguy That sounds about right regarding heights, they do six heights but the lowest three don't work in conjunction with the back seats so that would explain the popularity of height no.4...They are a big seller for them apparently

I've had one for a couple of weeks so only an initial view.

I needed an extendable shelf rather than a bed but this seemed like the best option in terms of flexibility etc. I can store all my toys for windsurfing/fishing/kayaking under it out of sight, boards can go on the top with the seats up if I have the kids with me or laid flat in no kid mode when extended. Haven't used it as a bed but the mattress seems good quality (vinyl seems good quality and I needed protection from wetsuits/wet boards etc.).

Exploria were extremely helpful and delivered on time.

The only minor issue I have is when extended it doesn't click into position so can slide back, this is not a problem if the van is level but because I use it as a shelf for boards would be nice if it locked into extended mode - hasn't caused a real issue for me though and if I cared enough would find something to hold in place. Obviously for intended use as a bed this wouldn't be an issue as the van would be level.

Also while its easy to remove/put in it's definitely a two man job, at least if you are built like me! This is both good and bad as the weight does seem to relate to the quality of the materials, its definitely going to last.

I spent a long time looking for similar options, I liked the idea of the Slidepod setup which includes all the kitchen gear + boards to make a shelf/bed but I needed the space for my toys and that was $$$ more - but very cool :). Some of the conversion companies had similar options but the Exploria seemed to get universally good comments (though obviously expensive), simple and good quality - hence me going in that direction.

Would definitely buy again, just need to work out how to integrate some racking on the top for my boards now....

Hope that helps.

@SimonB a good little review, I think they have updated the design recently so a shame about the little niggle you have noticed.
I want the luxury of if needed I could remove seats etc to utilise the space to move large items, so if I can find someone who's removing there kombi interior for a camper conversion and I can get at a reasonable price, then explorias option would be a definate purchase.

Is no4 the lowest you can have that will slide out with the seat backs dropped?

I needed an extendable shelf rather than a bed but this seemed like the best option in terms of flexibility etc. I can store all my toys for windsurfing/fishing/kayaking under it out of sight, boards can go on the top with the seats up if I have the kids with me or laid flat in no kid mode when extended. Haven't used it as a bed but the mattress seems good quality (vinyl seems good quality and I needed protection from wetsuits/wet boards etc.).

The only minor issue I have is when extended it doesn't click into position so can slide back, this is not a problem if the van is level but because I use it as a shelf for boards would be nice if it locked into extended mode - hasn't caused a real issue for me though and if I cared enough would find something to hold in place. Obviously for intended use as a bed this wouldn't be an issue as the van would be level.

Also while its easy to remove/put in it's definitely a two man job, at least if you are built like me! This is both good and bad as the weight does seem to relate to the quality of the materials, its definitely going to last.

I spent a long time looking for similar options, I liked the idea of the Slidepod setup which includes all the kitchen gear + boards to make a shelf/bed but I needed the space for my toys and that was $$$ more - but very cool :). Some of the conversion companies had similar options but the Exploria seemed to get universally good comments (though obviously expensive), simple and good quality - hence me going in that direction.

Would definitely buy again, just need to work out how to integrate some racking on the top for my boards now....

Hope that helps.
cheers @SimonB thats exactly the write up I was after. Like you I'm an active person with fishing and mountain biking being the main ones. I like the fact it acts like a shelf to put things on and to more importantly store things under it and keep them out of view.
I think a phone call to them will be happening very soon. Thanks again, very useful..

Yep #4, just the right height to cover the seats and sits just level with the bottom of the window so you don't lose any visibility, loads of room underneath.

Superflyguy - My niggle is really a minor issue, I probably wouldn't have noticed if my drive wasn't on a steep incline.

Yep #4, just the right height to cover the seats and sits just level with the bottom of the window so you don't lose any visibility, loads of room underneath.

Superflyguy - My niggle is really a minor issue, I probably wouldn't have noticed if my drive wasn't on a steep incline.
That's good to hear @SimonB , I just need to find some seats etc now !!, I think if you went higher with the bed @Twoguns it would be a bit of a squeeze, especially if you was of a portly frame.

Hope that helps.
Hi @SimonB have you had chance to sleep on this system yet. Or can anybody else give an opinion on what it's like to sleep on?

Yep but only one night so far. I'm small and light (60Kg) so not sure how this will relate to others, my son and I both were both very comfortable and slept a full 8 hours. It's as big as it could be filling the full width of the van and being short - length isn't something I can comment on other than to say it extends right over the back seats. My son slept across the bed and me diagonally. It was very comfortable, didn't notice any difference really to my bed maybe slightly harder than our memory foam boudoir effort! Heavier/normal size people may have different experiences.

Very happy with it.

As above only remaining challenge is adding some racking on one side of it so I can organise my boards better.

Glad that you have posted this. It's the system I was looking at for very similar reasons, I.e need ti be able to sleep in van but retain ability to use it as a van for mountain bikes and sailing kit. Top thread.

Yep but only one night so far. I'm small and light (60Kg) so not sure how this will relate to others, my son and I both were both very comfortable and slept a full 8 hours. It's as big as it could be filling the full width of the van and being short - length isn't something I can comment on other than to say it extends right over the back seats. My son slept across the bed and me diagonally. It was very comfortable, didn't notice any difference really to my bed maybe slightly harder than our memory foam boudoir effort! Heavier/normal size people may have different experiences.

Very happy with it.

As above only remaining challenge is adding some racking on one side of it so I can organise my boards better.
Cheers @SimonB sounds like I really need to see one of these in the flesh so to speak. I'm around 90Kg and 5' 10" so best give it a try first.

I have the juice one in mine , bikes, work gear etc stored underneath out of sight and safe . Really well made , but Jesus squeaked like mad ... put some felt tape on it and its perfect now ! For sleeping on I use a outwell dream catcher mattress , very comfy . Also for my work 8x4 sheet material lays flat on top when extended . Will try and get some photos if anyone interested ?

I have the juice one in mine , bikes, work gear etc stored underneath out of sight and safe . Really well made , but Jesus squeaked like mad ... put some felt tape on it and its perfect now ! For sleeping on I use a outwell dream catcher mattress , very comfy . Also for my work 8x4 sheet material lays flat on top when extended . Will try and get some photos if anyone interested ?

If you could that would be great.

I wonder if the guy who runs juice is an ex employee of exploria, as they are not far from them and the bed looks very similar ?
are they a similar price ? @Richard h ?

Back