EV Charger install

Interesting that, just checked my 2nd property which is a 2000 converted barn, terrace arrangement. Non looped but with only a 60a fuse. My main concern would be my parking is out the front and my electricity stuff at the back...
You could be on the tail end of a looped supply, I remember reading/watching something about these issues, it was common in the 70's to feed a semi detatched block of two houses from the street main in to one side of the house block then run from there to the other side of the house block. the likelyhood of both houses using high current devices (showers and cookers) at the same time was minimal and the feed in from the street main was sized accordingly, now when these houses decide to fit car chargers, that will both be on overnight in most cases, the cumulative current exceeds the feed in rating by some margin and over a longer time period thus things start to get warm.
In these situations both houses would need their feeding arrangements changing, giving an individual feed in from the street main sized accordingly to account for the increased load.
This of course is only realised once the car is at home and the electricians coming to install the charge point says 'Nope! Can't do it' and the DNO says 'We'll be able to do the ned feed in's to both properties in 6 months time, IF the neighbour is in agreement.'

No experience of the looped supply issue. I had an EV charger fitted when I bought my Model 3 two years ago. The charger is an Andersen A2. At the time it was my responsibility to contact the power company - also Western Power as per the original post - to get the fuse updated. Western Power came to take a look, noted that I had a 60amp fuse and said that I had two options - upgrade to 80amps free of charge, they could do that right away, or 100amps which would cost £150 ish as it required a bit more work, bigger fuse needed a bigger housing if I recall rightly. The deciding factor was whether or not we had any other high demand appliances, he cited swimming pool, hot tub as examples. We have nothing like that, just the usual household electrical appliances, so 80amps proved to be sufficient and has been just fine.

The deciding factor was whether or not we had any other high demand appliances
Hence the need to carry out an on-site survey as this will also look at cable routes, the need for any additional consumer units etc etc. There`s companies out there who reckon they can do an online survey with client supplying a few pictures of main fuse and consumer unit. Trouble is people don`t want to pay for a proper job they see companies offering an all in price of £550 without even looking. Oops starting to rant now :eek:

I'd just be happy with a company actually calling me back.

I've been out of the house renovation game for 10 years, but it's shocking how things have changed. Companies used to fall over themselves to get work, but this experience has literally been as follows:

Seven plumbers called, not one answered, which is fine, they may of been busy with a customer, but not one called me back or responded to a message or email.
Three window/door suppliers called, one of them we used 10 years ago and spend £15k with. Not one got back to me.
Two electricians recommended from trusted friends were contacted, neither got back to me.
Three EV charger companies from the Five I initially contacted, didn't respond. The two that did respond, then went silent when I told them the main fuse issue, after they told me that was my responsibility.
Two electric gate fitters were contacted, neither replied to my enquiry.
A decorator that my neighbour used last year and who seemed like a genuine guy, didn't answer his phone, and never called me back.

The only guys that have been fantastic are my plasterers (who's a VW enthusiast and followed me on Instagram) and my kitchen builders who also came through Instagram, but, who now cannot go any further because of all the other first fix trades.

I get that companies are busy, I really do, but a simple call back or reply telling me this is all I need. I've run my own business since 2008 and I'd never not call back or reply to a customer. Not only would that loose me work, it's just plain bloody rude.

I've had no choice but to do as much of the work myself now, just to get moving forward. The irony is, I'm spending a reasonable amount of money on each trade and they'd of walked into a gutted, clean, warm house, making their work much easier. I'd of been on hand to do any donkey work, made tea/coffee and even treated them to breakfast and lunch from my local bakery every day :oops:

I will get there eventually. It's just frustrating when this is my quiet period and after the end of February my work goes crazy (although I do still answer my phone and emails to customers) Plus I need to get the current house 'Rent' ready, so I'm not paying to run two houses at the same time.

(that's a proper rant)

I've been out of the house renovation game for 10 years, but it's shocking how things have changed. Companies used to fall over themselves to get work, but this experience has literally been as follows:

Seven plumbers called, not one answered, which is fine, they may of been busy with a customer, but not one called me back or responded to a message or email.
Three window/door suppliers called, one of them we used 10 years ago and spend £15k with. Not one got back to me.
Two electricians recommended from trusted friends were contacted, neither got back to me.
Three EV charger companies from the Five I initially contacted, didn't respond. The two that did respond, then went silent when I told them the main fuse issue, after they told me that was my responsibility.
A decorator that my neighbour used last year and who seemed like a genuine guy, didn't answer his phone, and never called me back.

The only guys that have been fantastic are my plasterers (who's a VW enthusiast and followed me on Instagram) and my kitchen builders who also came through Instagram, but, who now cannot go any further because of all the other first fix trades.

I get that companies are busy, I really do, but a simple call back or reply telling me this is all I need. I've run my own business since 2008 and I'd never not call back or reply to a customer. Not only would that loose me work, it's just plain bloody rude.

I've had no choice but to do as much of the work myself now, just to get moving forward. The irony is, I'm spending a reasonable amount of money on each trade and they'd of walked into a gutted, clean, warm house, making their work much easier. I'd of been on hand to do any donkey work, made tea/coffee and even treated them to breakfast and lunch from my local bakery every day :oops:

I will get there eventually. It's just frustrating when this is my quiet period and after the end of February my work goes crazy (although I do still answer my phone and emails to customers) Plus I need to get the current house 'Rent' ready, so I'm not paying to run two houses at the same time.

(that's a proper rant)
No surprise to me, I used to work at sea with 17 different nationalities, Brit’s were not the most work shy but pretty damn close.

(that's a proper rant)
These same folk will be “victims” when business takes a downturn and first in line looking to be bailed out

These same folk will be “victims” when business takes a downturn and first in line looking to be bailed out
It's the same story I hear from customers time and time again of late, I'll always answer my phone and if I miss a call I'll ring straight back. You never know what you're missing, the smallest jobs can become a customer for life. I'll never understand it, I'd hate to think I was missing out on work.

It's the same story I hear from customers time and time again of late, I'll always answer my phone and if I miss a call I'll ring straight back. You never know what you're missing, the smallest jobs can become a customer for life. I'll never understand it, I'd hate to think I was missing out on work.
Never a truer word was said. A plumber (heating engineer!) that I didn’t know at the time called me back….that was over 20 years ago….he has had all my business (and recommendations to others who ask for a reliable plumber) ever since!!!

(that's a proper rant)
Off the subject slightly, but I'm struggling to get a plumber/heating engineer, window fitter or someone to extend the driveway. The majority haven't even turned up to quote and the ones that did aren't responding to calls or e-mails.

Never a truer word was said. A plumber (heating engineer!) that I didn’t know at the time called me back….that was over 20 years ago….he has had all my business (and recommendations to others who ask for a reliable plumber) ever since!!!
About 25 years ago I called out a plumber to our boiler at 7pm on a Friday night. It took him 3 hours to sort it out & he charged me £70 parts & Labour. I’ve used him ever since, & I actually employed both of his sons when I was in business. What goes around comes around.

I've got the Andersen-a2 installed and i'm very happy with it.
I had is installed by a local Spark signed to the EV scheme local to me.
Anderson delivered to him within 5 days and he had it installed the following week along with a new isolated fuse board.

Powering this :thumbsup:
IMG_2265.JPEG

I've got the Andersen-a2 installed and i'm very happy with it.
I had is installed by a local Spark signed to the EV scheme local to me.
Anderson delivered to him within 5 days and he had it installed the following week along with a new isolated fuse board.

Powering this :thumbsup:
View attachment 140611
nice looking car that . . . . what is it?

Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo.
ill ask the missus for one in " VW Reflex Silver" for my birthday . . . . . . . . . . . Not holding out much hope though. :slow rofl:

edit:

"The new Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo has been revealed, along with the Taycan GTS saloon. It costs from #Loads and the first examples are due to hit UK showrooms in spring 2022."

ill ask the missus for one in " VW Reflex Silver" for my birthday . . . . . . . . . . . Not holding out much hope though. :slow rofl:

edit:

"The new Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo has been revealed, along with the Taycan GTS saloon. It costs from #Loads and the first examples are due to hit UK showrooms in spring 2022."

I nearly held out for one, but I wanted leather and the turbo wheels so it took the point of the GTS away.
Mine has full air suspension so it can sit nice and low in preset modes. Gravel mode is fun on the farm track every day though :)

New legislation coming into force in June this year will mean that all new EV chargers have to be on separate smart meters from your domestic supply, the grid will be able to slow down or delay your charging if demand exceeds supply. (instead of having an adequate supply)
I think the current inducements which are getting us into EV's, such as tax benefits and low cost per mile running will soon disappear, the bigger plan IMO is a societal move away from private car ownership for the average man and woman in the street, which was discussed by a transport minister Trudy Harrison;
I think it's a safe bet that Trudy won't be giving up her car.

^^ seperate smart meters for ev charge points

really? Are these people real?

^^ seperate smart meters for ev charge points

really? Are these people real?
Yep! Smart meters facilitate throttling. Don’t expect your bill to reduce just because the power companies don’t have to pay a wee chap to pop round to read your meter. Remember how diesel cars were promoted back in the day…?

Until the law requires me to have a smart meter, I won’t have one.

Smart meters don’t work for my neighbour and we’re not having them either.

As for splitting tails etc. that’s not easy, and in some cases impractical or impossible

Back