EV Charger install

You can find an installer here, it’s a shame they couldn’t just do a post code search.

Is the real issue not more one of whether the power infrastructure beyond your property being up to the job? The buck-passing between the power supplier and the installer is another matter!

Exactly......9 days off grid up here from Storm Arwen was a big wake up. Power lines running through forests, overgrown trees and rotten poles. That's one of the rural issues; built up area will have their own problems

Exactly......9 days off grid up here from Storm Arwen was a big wake up. Power lines running through forests, overgrown trees and rotten poles. That's one of the rural issues; built up area will have their own problems
That was an embarrassing disgrace….exposed a massive underinvestment

Smaller charger for now whilst you continue the battle?

A 60amp main fuse shouldn't be an issue for a 7kw charger, many are able to take account of incoming current and throttle back their power consumption if necessary, I'd imagine this would rarely happen at the usual charging times though. The problem would be if you were to use electricity for heating via a heat pump or otherwise.

And so the cracks start to appear. The infrastructure issue is only the start. Around 30% of the UK energy demand is provided by petrol & diesel, if we all switched to EV vehicles tomorrow, there isn't the capacity in the system to replace all the oil fuelled vehicles with EV. Bear in mind that the UK already imports 5% of it's electricity from the EU, guess whose going to have us over a barrel:whistle: The only way to produce the amount of energy required in the short term is to burn more gas, & ICMYI the price of gas has gone through the roof. A wise man once said "if we're all going to be driving electric cars tomorrow, we need to start building more nuclear power stations 20 years ago"
Don't get me wrong, I'm no Luddite, EV's have a future, even if they aren't THE future, but we aren't ready to adopt them in the numbers required to make a difference.

Not T6 related, but I know there are some EV owners on here, plus some knowledgeable people.

I've recently collected my wife's new Mini full Electric (Awesome car by the way) but we seem to be hitting a brick wall with a charger installation.

I've purchased another house which I'm currently renovating and this is the house the charger needs to be fitted in. The house has a 60amp main fuse which I'm told needs upgrading to a 100amp. This fuse, as most will know, has to be changed by the main electricity owner, which in my case is Western Power. This is where we are hitting the wall.

Western Power are saying they don't upgrade fuses anymore, unless an EV charger installer puts in an application. They claim that this cannot be done by the home owner.
The issue is, from those charger suppliers that actually got back to be, none say it's their responsibility to make an application for fuse upgrade, and just say it's my responsibility. Hence the current issue (excuse the pun)

I've tried to explain to Western Power that the EV charger companies don't seem interested, but without this application, they won't even send out an engineer.

I'm aware that I can install a 7kw charger on a 60amp fuse theoretically, but no one will and as I'm having a lot more tech installed into the house than it originally had when it was built in the 60s, I would sooner upgrade the main fuse.

I've exhausted my research and it's the usual mixed opinions on the internet, so wondered if anyone has had this issue and got around it?
Hi, firstly has a load survey/ maximum demand calculation been carried out for your house taking into account all your proposed new tech and power requirements ?
I would recommend a Hypervolt or Zappi charge point ( i have only fitted a Zappi but am assured the Hypervolt is brilliant also) these can be load limited for a 60a main to only use either 20a or 16a fuse till a time you may be upgraded. If the existing supply cable is not big enough then it will cost a few thousand pounds to get it upgraded. I am registered with OZEV but I don`t fit that many charge points so I steer clear of having to apply for the grant, too much paperwork and it can take up to 3 months to be reimbursed, but just for your info the grant will cease this April.

Hi, firstly has a load survey/ maximum demand calculation been carried out for your house taking into account all your proposed new tech and power requirements ?
I would recommend a Hypervolt or Zappi charge point ( i have only fitted a Zappi but am assured the Hypervolt is brilliant also) these can be load limited for a 60a main to only use either 20a or 16a fuse till a time you may be upgraded. If the existing supply cable is not big enough then it will cost a few thousand pounds to get it upgraded. I am registered with OZEV but I don`t fit that many charge points so I steer clear of having to apply for the grant, too much paperwork and it can take up to 3 months to be reimbursed, but just for your info the grant will cease this April.

I haven't been able to get anyone to even come out to the property yet, but I've found an electrician that's willing to assess the job now, so I will see what he says.
It was Zappi I'm interested in.

Reactions: JOG
And so the cracks start to appear. The infrastructure issue is only the start. Around 30% of the UK energy demand is provided by petrol & diesel, if we all switched to EV vehicles tomorrow, there isn't the capacity in the system to replace all the oil fuelled vehicles with EV. Bear in mind that the UK already imports 5% of it's electricity from the EU, guess whose going to have us over a barrel:whistle: The only way to produce the amount of energy required in the short term is to burn more gas, & ICMYI the price of gas has gone through the roof. A wise man once said "if we're all going to be driving electric cars tomorrow, we need to start building more nuclear power stations 20 years ago"
Don't get me wrong, I'm no Luddite, EV's have a future, even if they aren't THE future, but we aren't ready to adopt them in the numbers required to make a difference.

I don't disagree with much of your post, but I do think battery powered vehicles will be the future, or at the least, I really hope they will.

The more I look into my current problem with charger, the more it seems unlikely that the UK's power companies will foot the bill for upgrading thousands of miles of ageing infrastructure to accommodate for mass charging, hence why the Government are making it law for all new homes to come with an EV charging system already installed from this year onwards, which may be too little too late, but it's progress at the very least.
It's because of this, I think the future will be in the charging technology and how it can be retrofitted to an older infrastructure without the mass disruption.

My experience of EV ownership is new, but it's been a fast learning curve and the biggest change is how we actually use this new car. Instead of just jumping in the Mini and going where we want without thinking, like we did with the previous petrol Mini, we have to plan our journey and assess if the Electric Mini is the right vehicle to use for that day. This is always going to be the biggest drawback in my opinion and this will be the stumbling block for anyone looking to buy a new car, especially if you are a slight EV sceptic, but maybe the future of vehicle ownership needs people to think about the way they drive and how much they rely on cars.

Do I think I've made the right choice going EV? even with the current teething problems. Yes 100% My wife commutes 60 miles a day, which cost her £200 a month in the previous Mini Cooper S. She now does this same commute in silence, more comfort, a lot more fun (think Mini go-cart handling but with instant power:)) and without the cost of petrol. For her it's a no brainer. For me it's a no brainer.
We use the Mini for everything now, unless it's for my work or an extra long trip where the Mini would need a charge up. She's actually going to see her friend in Manchester next week, where she'd normally drive, but now she will use the train because of her choice of car, which I think is a good thing personally. More public transport usage eventually equals less traffic on our over stretched roads. You only have to look at the effect on the roads today against pre-pandemic roads, now many more have stopped using public transport.

EV's will always have negative press, but much of what's progress often does until it's no longer progress and it becomes normal. I for one hope they do become normal because I long for the day where I don't hear cars roaring up and down my local village like nobs (the main reason we are currently moving house) and if Volkswagen made a Transporter that was full electric and did more miles than their current EV, I'd be stood outside my dealer ready to sign on the dotted line. Bring it on.

My experience of EV ownership is new, but it's been a fast learning curve and the biggest change is how we actually use this new car. Instead of just jumping in the Mini and going where we want without thinking, like we did with the previous petrol Mini, we have to plan our journey

The consumer will eventually pay for the installations and upgrades, whether it’s direct fees, income tax to recover government grants or increased tariffs.
EV or otherwise we all have a responsibility to plan our journeys as far as possible, no doubt a very unpopular comment within the petrol head community.
I used to get lectures from my daughter for working in the oil industry, my standard response was when you make the 20 minute walk to school instead of driving I’ll be able to give it up.
Personally I think the EV charging issue could be partially eased with standard cassette type batteries which are automatically exchanged at a ‘filling station’.
Renting a battery which gets checked at every exchange would make initial EV ownership cheaper, like @DaveD mentioned in a previous post there are many people who simply cannot afford the current EVs.

I don't disagree with much of your post, but I do think battery powered vehicles will be the future, or at the least, I really hope they will.

The more I look into my current problem with charger, the more it seems unlikely that the UK's power companies will foot the bill for upgrading thousands of miles of ageing infrastructure to accommodate for mass charging, hence why the Government are making it law for all new homes to come with an EV charging system already installed from this year onwards, which may be too little too late, but it's progress at the very least.
It's because of this, I think the future will be in the charging technology and how it can be retrofitted to an older infrastructure without the mass disruption.

My experience of EV ownership is new, but it's been a fast learning curve and the biggest change is how we actually use this new car. Instead of just jumping in the Mini and going where we want without thinking, like we did with the previous petrol Mini, we have to plan our journey and assess if the Electric Mini is the right vehicle to use for that day. This is always going to be the biggest drawback in my opinion and this will be the stumbling block for anyone looking to buy a new car, especially if you are a slight EV sceptic, but maybe the future of vehicle ownership needs people to think about the way they drive and how much they rely on cars.

Do I think I've made the right choice going EV? even with the current teething problems. Yes 100% My wife commutes 60 miles a day, which cost her £200 a month in the previous Mini Cooper S. She now does this same commute in silence, more comfort, a lot more fun (think Mini go-cart handling but with instant power:)) and without the cost of petrol. For her it's a no brainer. For me it's a no brainer.
We use the Mini for everything now, unless it's for my work or an extra long trip where the Mini would need a charge up. She's actually going to see her friend in Manchester next week, where she'd normally drive, but now she will use the train because of her choice of car, which I think is a good thing personally. More public transport usage eventually equals less traffic on our over stretched roads. You only have to look at the effect on the roads today against pre-pandemic roads, now many more have stopped using public transport.

EV's will always have negative press, but much of what's progress often does until it's no longer progress and it becomes normal. I for one hope they do become normal because I long for the day where I don't hear cars roaring up and down my local village like nobs (the main reason we are currently moving house) and if Volkswagen made a Transporter that was full electric and did more miles than their current EV, I'd be stood outside my dealer ready to sign on the dotted line. Bring it on.
I think (and that's all it is, an opinion) that we will have a brief dalliance with EV's in the short term, just to prove that we're "doing something" about climate change. Then the true cost & logistical problems will become apparent & we will find a more practical alternative. Personally I think EVs will be a flash in the pan & we will turn to Hydrogen, think VHS - DVD - Downloads - Streaming. The companies & countries that currently supply oil, can relatively easily turn to hydrogen production. H2 is easier to distribute around the world from source to market, petrol companies, shippers & stations stay in business. All you need to produce H2 is (ironically) electricity & sea water, The middle east has plenty of both if they turn to solar power, as does Norway with its abundance of Hydro Electricity. Hydrogen would do away with batteries, "range anxiety" & long charging times etc.
Just my 2 penneth fwiw.

I think (and that's all it is, an opinion) that we will have a brief dalliance with EV's in the short term, just to prove that we're "doing something" about climate change. Then the true cost & logistical problems will become apparent & we will find a more practical alternative. Personally I think EVs will be a flash in the pan & we will turn to Hydrogen, think VHS - DVD - Downloads - Streaming. The companies & countries that currently supply oil, can relatively easily turn to hydrogen production. H2 is easier to distribute around the world from source to market, petrol companies, shippers & stations stay in business. All you need to produce H2 is (ironically) electricity & sea water, The middle east has plenty of both if they turn to solar power, as does Norway with its abundance of Hydro Electricity. Hydrogen would do away with batteries, "range anxiety" & long charging times etc.
Just my 2 penneth fwiw.
I agree 100%, if Saudi Arabia can’t export oil they will produce solar hydrogen or it’s back to living in tents and camel kebabs for dinner.

EV's are probably part of the solution to local pollution problems and undoubtedly bring benefits, but relying on EV's in a country that has no coherent or credible strategy for generating clean, reliable electricity is like putting the cart before the horse. Hoping that the wind blows is not a strategy.
It's been said already, we should have been building nuclear power stations for two decades if we wanted to phase out fossil fuel.
Interestingly the EU have recently reclassified nuclear and gas as green energy sources.

Interestingly the EU have recently reclassified nuclear and gas as green energy sources.
Yup & the Germans are kicking off after closing down their nuclear plants & switching back to coal. They have around 70 coal fired power stations, half of which burn Lignite which is a filthy fuel even by coal standards. The French however, produce around 70% of their power via nuclear. At the end of the day, energy is a dirty business, anyone who thinks there is such a thing as "clean energy" is delusional.

Back