Engine Rattle Noise?!!

harry2019

Hi All new here. Have owned my t6 highline for a week now, lovely van but a couple things I thought I would ask before I mention it to the dealer.
From outside the van on idle I can hear a rattling noise seems to be coming from the front area of the engine. When reved up this seems to go away. Anyone else come across this?
Also inside the van when driving there is a slight viabration noise up to 2000rpm and after that it dissapeares. I don’t believe this noise is to do with the other engine noise.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks

Bit more detail on van, engine, gearbox type, mileage?

But first thought might be DMF or balance shaft noise?..... assuming it's got some miles on it?

Anything like this?

'cos I was wondering too...

(2016, 150 manual, circa 25k miles)

Hi All new here. Have owned my t6 highline for a week now, lovely van but a couple things I thought I would ask before I mention it to the dealer.
From outside the van on idle I can hear a rattling noise seems to be coming from the front area of the engine. When reved up this seems to go away. Anyone else come across this?
Also inside the van when driving there is a slight viabration noise up to 2000rpm and after that it dissapeares. I don’t believe this noise is to do with the other engine noise.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks

Is it the lower bhp engine?

Any chance of a video clip?

I’m struggling to upload the video, it’s saying there isn’t a supported extension?? Am I missing something? Ha cheers

You can’t upload videos direct to the forum but will need to put on YouTube or similar and link it here

You can upload mp3 audio though if you just want to do a sound file

Sounds like the DMF (duel mass flywheel) rattling to me....

Does it go away when drive is engaged and your accelerating?

Being a 66plate is it still in warranty?

Yeah it seems to go away once accelerating. Yeah it’s got a year warranty only bought from Vw a week ago!

Has it just started then?
Or had you not noticed it before?

I had a similar thing.... it started quiet, and got louder and louder.

But if its confirmed as a DMF then it's a gearbox out job. . . . . which could cost £800 - £1600 if out of warranty.

Best get it to the VWCV center to be checked . . . .

more info on DMF:

Only noticed it on Friday then thought I would ask you guys on here before I speak to them tommorow. Oh really this is probably going to turn into a nightmare then ha. Have you had any problems since yours has been fixed? Wondering if my van is going to be trouble now

Only noticed it on Friday then thought I would ask you guys on here before I speak to them tommorow. Oh really this is probably going to turn into a nightmare then ha. Have you had any problems since yours has been fixed? Wondering if my van is going to be trouble now
No... no trouble at all.

The DMF is a serviceable part that has a certain lifetime and need replacing eventually... basically like a clutch....though saying that mine went at 90K.

Take it to the garage, let them diagnose it, let them fix it. Get your van back and be happy.....

Remember all VW parts and labour are warranted for 24mnths regardless.

And a DMF should last at least 90k.

So don't worry, let them take care of it.

Back