Engine oil specifications

Gooson

Hi, it's probably been done to death but I've bought 8 litres of castrol magnatec 5w30 fully synthetic oil ready for a service next week but having looked at it now its not got the vw approved rating on it? I thought this was the correct grade? Any thoughts please?

Screenshot_20190808_182505.jpg

Does not look like it's to VW 507 specification.

If you want Castrol, then Edge 5W30 LL according to their website.

I thought it was a good deal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't really understand how it can be the wrong oil if the grade is correct and fully synthetic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hi guys apologies if has been asked before, nothing jumped out on the search function.

My van was serviced by the supplying dealer (Ford) on delivery and according to the invoice used 5w/30 Shell. I want to grab a 1 litre bottle to have in case but at my Shell fuel station there was so much to choose I left empty handed.

I have seen the mention of 504/507 on the forum but the bottles had AG/AF/ECT just want to get it right.

Hi guys apologies if has been asked before, nothing jumped out on the search function.

My van was serviced by the supplying dealer (Ford) on delivery and according to the invoice used 5w/30 Shell. I want to grab a 1 litre bottle to have in case but at my Shell fuel station there was so much to choose I left empty handed.

I have seen the mention of 504/507 on the forum but the bottles had AG/AF/ECT just want to get it right.

If your is a diesel you need the VW507.00 spec 5w-30. As loing as the oil has this spec on the can, you should be good to go.

Cheers,

Guy

On Checking the dealer's invoice on my last interim service I note that they have used shell longlife 0W-30 oil. What's the difference between that and the Castrol 5w-30 apart from the price of the 0W-30 which seems to be more expensive. Any body able to give me a link to a genuine VW oil filter for VW T6 2.0 102

Shell dont currently have anything called the Shell Longlife 0w-30 in the UK at the moment, current range here Helix It could be, that is just what they have called it on their system, or left over from previous branding. If they used the Shell Helix ECT 0w-30 that is VW504/507 approved, as is the Shell Helix AV-L 0w-30. As for the difference between that and the Castrol, not a lot really they both meet the same specs, and there is virtually no difference between 0w and 5w in our UK climate.

Cheers,

Guy

I was told the thing to look out for is the ACEA spec number along with the grade (5W-30) The spec ID is usually a letter with a number eg C3.
I don't see this reference on the photo of the one used above. Should tell you in the hand book / owners manual. Guess I need to look at mine.
Regards
Stephen

Back