Engine Light Permanently On!

Camperjoe

T6 Pro
Just turned 2000 miles on the clock and engine light has come on. DPF regen is really frequent and my last journey on motorway suggested only 24 mpg.
Lovely when they are working, but they are not what they used to be. Disappointed.
If anyone has any ideas before I go to dealership it would be appreciated.

At 2000 miles I'd be back to the dealership no questions mate. If you can do a fault code scan first even better. I know why you want an idea of the problem, but don't wait for it, it's not up to you to figure out the problem when you've got a warranty.

Reactions: DPS
You don’t say what your vehicle is but a number of 150s have had issues with sensors on the exhaust system so I expect you’re due a recall. The 204 also had a recall for a software update that improved the frequect regerations..

All interesting comments thanks alot. Typically they can't look at it for another week, but will let you know. I had to use it today and sods law the light went out, but its definitely going back in as I have mental N/S/R brake squeal now. And sorry yes its a 150 DSG.
Also on the DSG, I'm sure the gear change from 3-4 is longer than it was. Am I going mad? Not looked as yet to see if any mention of this one.
I treated myself to this motor for blinking reliability. Thanks all for the advise it is appreciated!:thumbsup:

Ok an update for all. Took my Kombi in today only to be told it is waiting for a software update. Apparently I'm the 25th or so van waiting for this, but told me the software don't exist. They said it was a misreading of the adblue, which I very much doubt as the fault code was P20EE00 NOx Catalytic Conv Bank 1 Efficiency too low sporadic.
Can anyone tell me if the software exists as I think they are stringing me a line? I also put it in for rear brake squeal to which they have noted 'could not fault the brakes' so I guess I must be imagining that!!!!
Any ideas please? as at the moment I have to drive it until the light reappears, and possibly wait for a software update forever. Thanks all!

The illusive software update is true, there is a known issue that VW are apparently working on to produce a software based fix but its already been a couple months i think so dont hold your breath :(

Thanks Pauly, well watch this space as I have contacts in Hanover!
Not suggesting I'm going to get any special treatment, but they will hear all about it now!

Thanks Pauly, well watch this space as I have contacts in Hanover!
Not suggesting I'm going to get any special treatment, but they will hear all about it now!
I feel your pain. I went through this about this time last year. I can’t believe they are still turning these vans out with the same fault

Yep the dealerships have next to no room to move vehicles around. I'm sure I have a dent in the bonnet now that wasn't there before. They give it all the 'hello Mr bla,bla, bla, and we will wash your vehicle, but all you want is the fault fixed. Faults happen,that's life, but just fix it rather than fob you off! and guess what?as I backed onto my drive from the dealership the brakes were squealing a treat. My customer confirmation of repair sheet should have read 'cleared fault, took vehicle for test drive, skilfully took a rock to the bonnet', waited till rush hour to call customer to say 'diagnosed fault to customer and confirmed fix unavailable'. Should fault, no sorry WHEN fault reappears please come back and go through it all again. Superb service! Please feel free to like this rant! I feel strangely better now. :thumbsup:

Yep the dealerships have next to no room to move vehicles around. I'm sure I have a dent in the bonnet now that wasn't there before. They give it all the 'hello Mr bla,bla, bla, and we will wash your vehicle, but all you want is the fault fixed. Faults happen,that's life, but just fix it rather than fob you off! and guess what?as I backed onto my drive from the dealership the brakes were squealing a treat. My customer confirmation of repair sheet should have read 'cleared fault, took vehicle for test drive, skilfully took a rock to the bonnet', waited till rush hour to call customer to say 'diagnosed fault to customer and confirmed fix unavailable'. Should fault, no sorry WHEN fault reappears please come back and go through it all again. Superb service! Please feel free to like this rant! I feel strangely better now. :thumbsup:
Welcome to the T6 counciling forum.

Ok an update for all. Took my Kombi in today only to be told it is waiting for a software update. Apparently I'm the 25th or so van waiting for this, but told me the software don't exist. They said it was a misreading of the adblue, which I very much doubt as the fault code was P20EE00 NOx Catalytic Conv Bank 1 Efficiency too low sporadic.
Can anyone tell me if the software exists as I think they are stringing me a line? I also put it in for rear brake squeal to which they have noted 'could not fault the brakes' so I guess I must be imagining that!!!!
Any ideas please? as at the moment I have to drive it until the light reappears, and possibly wait for a software update forever. Thanks all!
It seems so hit and miss whether you get problems or not. Mine is a Feb 17 150 DSG, approaching 8000 miles, and has never failed to give a genuine 33-36 mpg dependant on journey, I have never seen an engine light and only noticed a regen happening twice in all that time.

Weirdly though, every time I do a scan with VCDS I get exactly the same fault code description as you!

Last edited:
Strange mine is a Nov17 with 3ooo miles so clearly the fault remains and they are doing nowt about it. Clearly there is an underlying fault and once it runs out of warranty they will charge us for the fix. All I want is it fixed, this can't be right that we all have to wait to see even if they are going to fix it, and I can guarantee you now they won't do a recall for it. With most everyday items, if it goes faulty and they can't fix it, they offer a replacement, yet with a van you are expected to accept it.

I have had the same fault for some time now. Taking the van back almost weekly now. Local dealer has been great but patience is beginning to wear a little thin. VW should be all over this should be a priority 1 issue as there is no workaround, needing the dealer to reset.

Weirdly though, every time I do a scan with VCDS I get exactly the same fault code description as you!
@andys if you go directly to "Engine", then "Fault codes" and untick "Aggressive mode" - do you still see the fault? Reason I ask is that I have a few times noticed that the dealer's VW-tester shows only faults which can be seen in non-aggressive mode.

And, mine is also one of those waiting for the cure for the same fault. But for some reason neither mine haven't had engine light although the same fault code stays in the engine. But "fortunately" it has surfaced a few times so that also VW-tester has caught it (but no engine light).

VCDS_agr.JPG

Me too. Jan 2017 150DSG. Every 2000 miles I get engine light for a few days. It's happened 8 times now. Going to call VW
customer service next as although dealers are very nice, they clearly don't know what is wrong or can't fix it.

Really disappointed VW, sort this out.

Is there a fix yet for this engine management light and constant regens? The dealers just fob you off with a reset and some bull.

Back