Engine Light Permanently On!

Argggh, this has just happened to me this morning!

This morning the van's emission warning light came on whilst on a reasonably long (50 mile+) run.
The van is just reaching 10,000 miles and is a 2017 model, 102bhp.

I've noticed the DPF regen has been very frequent and loud, sometimes running for several minutes after the vehicle has been turned off for the last few months.
The AdBlue warning light has also been coming on intermittently, it came on to tell me I had 600 mile range a few weeks ago, but when I checked it said I had 3500 miles range left.

I've topped the AdBlue up today as a precaution and its now reading a range of 5500 miles but the emissions warning light is still on

Booked it in at the 'local' commercial dealer (20 miles away) for a week today.
Has anyone else had this issue recently and had it fixed?

I had a terrible experience with a main dealer over an emissions related issue last year, my Passat 1.6TDI went in for the recall and after the warning light wouldn't go off, a month in the garage later and 4 failed attempts to fix VW finally replaced the DPF and sensors.

Sounds like you need to give it good thrashing so it can complete the regen, if it is still going it when you stop it didn't complete.

I'll thrash it abit on the way home and see if that helps.
I was driving quite conservatively at about 65mph on the motorway with cruise control on when it happened.

Cheers @Loz

Mine started today whilst out picking up some bags of bird food, so I stuck it in sport and gave it a very spirited drive back home, all done and no fan run on when I stopped.

Would be really interested in what the dealer says. My money will be on 'it needs a software update, but unfortunately not available at this time'. Mine does a regen every 150 miles or so. Absolutely shocking answer to the fault and as much as I love my motor, with under 10k on the clock really poor reliability. I remember when you used to buy a VW quality stood out. God knows whats next, one things for sure not a software fix. Would I sell it? Nope, would I buy another? Mmmmmm Yep! Am I stupid?...............absolutely!

I'll let you know what they say @Camperjoe the plot has thickened, after filling the AdBlue up today and it saying I had a 5500 mile range the light came back on on the way home and stayed on, saying 600 mile range.
I'm thinking it has to be something to do with that, maybe a faulty sensor or faulty AdBlue injector.
I had no end of emissions issues with my last VW so put everything in an email to the dealer so I don't get screwed over.
Hopefully they can fix it!

I'm with you on being stupid though! I'll be keeping it regardless

Yes would be great to hear how you got on. Like you say it may be just the Adblue issue that I had before and still wait on available software. Mine will be coming up to a top up and I bet the engine light comes on rather than just MFD warning. Good luck :thumbsup:

Dropped it off at the dealer this morning and explained the issues, the guy said they've seen this 'quite a few' times before and said it should be sorted fairly easily. Fingers crossed.. send positive vibes my way please :D
I'll let you know the results!

Engine light can on for me again the other day - read the codes as P20EE and 31103.

Booked into dealer on weds but since then the engine light has gone off this time (happened twice before)

May as well take it into the dealer as they’ll still be able to read the codes? And then fob me off as usual - need to see them anyway as when they fitted new side windows they missed one of the finishing strips off one window

17 plate 150 DSG - so seems to have the same issue as many others..... falling out of love with this van very quickly......

Engine light can on for me again the other day - read the codes as P20EE and 31103.

Booked into dealer on weds but since then the engine light has gone off this time (happened twice before)

May as well take it into the dealer as they’ll still be able to read the codes? And then fob me off as usual - need to see them anyway as when they fitted new side windows they missed one of the finishing strips off one window

17 plate 150 DSG - so seems to have the same issue as many others..... falling out of love with this van very quickly......
The P20EE and 31103 are just different identifiers of a fault.
How did you read the fault codes - Carista, VCDS, Torque?
Have you reread the fault codes if they still exist? I've seen this code to fade away out of the reach VW OEM tool in a few engine startups. After hooking up the VW OEM tool the codes definitely will be gone.
Anyways, the Crafter got a software update for the issue just a few weeks ago... time will tell if the patch has cured the problem there.

The P20EE and 31103 are just different identifiers of a fault.
How did you read the fault codes - Carista, VCDS, Torque?
Have you reread the fault codes if they still exist? I've seen this code to fade away out of the reach VW OEM tool in a few engine startups. After hooking up the VW OEM tool the codes definitely will be gone.
Anyways, the Crafter got a software update for the issue just a few weeks ago... time will tell if the patch has cured the problem there.

I used Carista, the faults are still in there even though the light has now gone out - hoping for a software update soon.....

Reactions: mmi
My Van is going into the dealers tomorrow emission light came on driving back from Bristol, handbook says its a fault with the catalytic convertor ! also had the adblue warning come on saying 650 miles left but reverted back to 3500 about 5 minutes later!
The van has the 102 engine. Also the heater/aircon fan has stopped working on the slower speeds only operates now at the max. Interested to see what they come up with!

My Van is going into the dealers tomorrow emission light came on driving back from Bristol, handbook says its a fault with the catalytic convertor ! also had the adblue warning come on saying 650 miles left but reverted back to 3500 about 5 minutes later!
The van has the 102 engine. Also the heater/aircon fan has stopped working on the slower speeds only operates now at the max. Interested to see what they come up with!
The van is back from the dealers, was told that the emission light coming on was caused by the hard acceleration just as there was an injection of Adblue into the system he said it was rare but he has seen it before. Not sure I buy that but the technician was adamant and was keen to know if it happens again as they are trying to build up a dossier of fault data like this so that they can talk to VW about it and get a fix sorted.
The Heater fan problem was sorted with a new resistor the service guy said it was a known issue

got mine back from the dealers today - they say they've done a forced Regen -and to be fair it now STOP/STARTS at the lights etc every time, when it didn't do that very often before. Dont think the issue is resolved as my expectation is still that the EML coming on is a software issue. will see what happens after a few miles.....

Back