Engine Cover And Bug Protector

JimVee

Retired
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Just had the bonnet resprayed due to some really bad stone chips all over it that were really triggering my OCD. Thought I would have a bug protector painted too and have the bonnet ventureshielded in a few weeks. Also had the engine cover painted too.

IMG_4291.JPG

IMG_4313.JPG

That actually doesn’t look quite so “Halfords” with it being painted, much less obvious, blends in well.
Let’s just hope it doesn’t deflect those stones up into the windscreen instead.:eek:

That actually doesn’t look quite so “Halfords” with it being painted, much less obvious, blends in well.
Let’s just hope it doesn’t deflect those stones up into the windscreen instead.:eek:

Cheers and lets hope not! already had 3 chips done in the windscreen. The red in the picture looks really bright but its the right RAL and looks better in the flesh.

Loving the plate @JimVee
Missed out on that one, and it looks better than I thought it would! Giz a shout when you get bored of it....:whistle:

..love me the protection of the engine, but I think it is better without .... the engine needs to "breathe" as much as possible and then beyond the appearance I do not think there is another reason to put the protection. ..or am I wrong?

..love me the protection of the engine, but I think it is better without .... the engine needs to "breathe" as much as possible and then beyond the appearance I do not think there is another reason to put the protection. ..or am I wrong?

I fitted it just for aesthetics, I'd love a full engine cover like they used to do on the T5 but can't find one anywhere.

user55199_pic87669_1361301548.jpg

..... back to the protection of the bonnet ... I also find myself with some chipping of the paint caused by pebbles "fired" by the vehicles that preceded me during travel ... I saw that some are fitted with plastic mustaches, fabric bandages but everything looks horrible aesthetically ..... I think it is useful to "wrap" all the hood and occasionally replace the wrapping film ..

..... back to the protection of the bonnet ... I also find myself with some chipping of the paint caused by pebbles "fired" by the vehicles that preceded me during travel ... I saw that some are fitted with plastic mustaches, fabric bandages but everything looks horrible aesthetically ..... I think it is useful to "wrap" all the hood and occasionally replace the wrapping film ..

I had my bonnet painted a couple of weeks ago because of a small amount of damage, and dozens of stone chips.
Two weeks later, and just over 1000 miles, and hey presto, it's chipped in loads of places again. I give up.

try to stop driving so close to vehicles in front, I had a lotus exige and that was difficult to keep the star field at bay :thumbsdown: you soon learn not to wedge yourself up the **** of the vehicle in front

.... maybe enough to stay away from the vehicles that precede you ..... on the highway for example, how much you have to keep away from a truck that travels at 110 km / h ....? in fact, possibly traveling in overtaking ...

try to stop driving so close to vehicles in front, I had a lotus exige and that was difficult to keep the star field at bay :thumbsdown: you soon learn not to wedge yourself up the **** of the vehicle in front

A slightly daft assumption. I tend to drive to the conditions of the road, and the only time's i'm too close to the vehicle in front is when they are stupid enough to squeeze into the gap between myself and the car I was following.
My T6 has a rather annoying little logo on my dash that indicates i'm too close to the vehicle in front anyway.

Most of the chips I hear hit me are from vehicles going the other way.

A slightly daft assumption. I tend to drive to the conditions of the road, and the only time's i'm too close to the vehicle in front is when they are stupid enough to squeeze into the gap between myself and the car I was following.
My T6 has a rather annoying little logo on my dash that indicates i'm too close to the vehicle in front anyway.

Most of the chips I hear hit me are from vehicles going the other way.
just a friendly tip , no need to call me daft

I do not want to lose the thread of the speech ... my Cali is white, if I wanted to wrap the bonnet I could also change color .. what do you think? by the way ... if someone tries to slip between me and the vehicle that precedes me usually makes a bad end .. I keep it in the middle of the road until it does not spring .. hahaha

I do not want to lose the thread of the speech ... my Cali is white, if I wanted to wrap the bonnet I could also change color .. what do you think? by the way ... if someone tries to slip between me and the vehicle that precedes me usually makes a bad end .. I keep it in the middle of the road until it does not spring .. hahaha

Wrap is very thin but would protect the bonnet a little, better than nothing i guess.

PPF is the way to go but can be expensive for the good stuff.

I have thought about using a cheap wrap then put bonnet bra over the top, not sure if the wrap would be a good enough sacrificial layer but it's an idea and potentially lower cost.

btw I quite like the halfords bug protector although never seen one irl.

Back