Electric tailgate rams

ei-aprilia

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Does anyone know if the electric tailgate rams are serviceable? One of mine has started making a clicking type noise , there's no issue with it going up or down however. My van is still under warranty but any time I've dealt with the dealers around here it's a drawn out , costly (travel to and from dealer , time off work, time without vehicle etc) and painful experience .

If it's a simple strip down the ram and clean I'd do it myself. If they need replaced VW can pay!

Have a look below(both links).

Have a look below(both links).

Outstanding, thanks @Robert .
I can see my noisy ram has a rusty spring , through small hole at bottom of the ram . I think it's worth me stripping it that far and cleaning the spring . If it's the planetary gears though I think it's best to leave it to a warranty job .
For anyone wondering how quickly this has started to fail , my vans 4.5yrs old, it's a work horse too and so the tailgate is used a lot on a daily basis. I did wonder how long they'd last ....now I know!

If you strip it yourself and it’s evident to VW then I doubt they will honour the warranty.

If you strip it yourself and it’s evident to VW then I doubt they will honour the warranty.
Yes I had considered that but I think it's worth the risk over dealing with the balloons at my not so local dealers.

Back