EHU Charger For Leisure Battery.

CALLAKN

Electrician / Linesman
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hello guys,

currently undergoing installation of my leisure battery and split charger for the use of USB and 12V sockets (nothing too serious)

We go camping a fair bit... and wondered if it was worth going with travel volts https://www.travelvolts.net/product-page/victron-ip-65-12-10-charger whilst im at it....

do people find they need the extra charging from an EHU when theyre out and about? or is the split charger doing enough when driving....

TIA!

Callum

Ps What size are these things? can they fit under the seat with the rest of it!!

Yep we do need the extra ehu and have that unit from @travelvolts.

our set up is solar 130watt, CTEK b2b charger and 12/10 smart charger.

all summer no need for ehu, however, winter is a different matter. This New Year spent 3 nights in Brean Somerset, need the heating on all the time and only need to charge the battery on day two.
So would recommend put it in now (easier to hide the cables) the units is small enough to hide under driver or passenger seat with a plug socket.

hope it helps :thumbsup:

Kramsdog, could you state exactly what you have? I’m just purchased a T6 and it only has the split charge relay. I’d like a setup like yours, I just need to make sure I buy the right kit. Thanks.

Hi @CALLAKN ...I’ve got a really simple setup ,,,Ctek to charge battery with solar input and a stand alone EHU unit so does not effect vehicle electrics

Cable entry via bonnet area and plug into unit ( 3 pin sockets and usb ) so when not required can remove / or move to tent

4CAE2B8E-B703-4CE3-8FE0-7DB902A6A279.jpegA61966AD-014B-4044-BE4F-24BCE7A4DA5D.jpeg

Kramsdog, could you state exactly what you have? I’m just purchased a T6 and it only has the split charge relay. I’d like a setup like yours, I just need to make sure I buy the right kit. Thanks.
okay - bits of kit are as follows:-
1. lensun 130watt black solar panel (Roof)
2. 110 amp gel battery (Under passenger seat)
3. victron Energy 12v 10amp blue smart charger 240v to 12v charger ( under Driver seat)
4. Ctec D250 SA, battery to battery charger/mppt solar charger (Under Passenger Seat)
5. Distribution board in rear cupboard close to ehu point at rear of the van.
6. 12v fridge which automatically detects 240v and switches accordingly
7. caravan style ehu 3 pin connector at rear in black.

all the cables are hidden in the wall or in the floor except for the one the cabinet maker drilled through.
86632BD5-0F84-496B-97A2-E7BF061492F7.jpeg

253302B5-1DF7-4C0E-9CE6-BB5F5E13F8AD.jpeg03436B87-65D8-4A09-894A-73C85A4E0932.jpeg9382B95E-3379-4729-8C3B-C09761CEB623.jpeg2521C811-3175-40CF-A48B-50BB4CF8BBCB.jpeg17F6AE75-C4BD-437F-92BF-7B10ED73A624.jpeg

C98B6124-D203-44F9-B768-E0B5EF07AD34.jpeg

Reading a few posts on electrics and I think I’ve confused myself with the set up I’ve had done on my van, probably not helped by COVID as we’ve hardly used it since having it done... please help if you can understand what I’m getting at...

I have a leisure battery and CTEC 250 under my drivers seat, I have electric hook up connection under my bonnet and the consumer unit under the passenger seat. I’ve got USB sockets on both seat bases and one 3 pin plug, and I’ve got USB’s and cigarette lighter sockets in the back.

My understanding is when I’m on a campsite and on EHU that would be charging my leisure battery, is this correct? If not, will all my sockets be powered by the EHU or just the 1x 3 pin plug??

44461233-6C9E-412A-88AE-156092DAB17D.jpeg
605E83A9-646D-499E-9A86-FE14FA72C4EF.jpeg
207DEDDB-B1F5-47DC-83C2-F13BCF52EF72.jpeg

If you're fitting an inverter to power your 240v sockets from the leisure battery, you can fit a change over contactor next to your consumer unit. If it detects a supply from your EHU it switches to this and isolates the inverter supply to your consumer unit. Sourced mine from @travelvolts .

I'd recommend a investing in a good quality charger that can be powered from a EHU. If you do find you've got low on power on a campsite and solar hasn't been sufficient, it could save the day. Plus a decent charger can recharge the battery in the correct cycles with, bulk, absorption, float, storage to keep the battery in the best condition. Not to mention it can be used to recover the battery if its completely dead.

Personally, I wouldn't rely solely on a DC DC charger for long campsite stays. It means running the engine on tick over for long periods of time. Likely to result in little yellow lights, illuminating on the dash. And we want to avoid those at all costs. Otherwise costs, you will not be able to avoid.

My understanding is when I’m on a campsite and on EHU that would be charging my leisure battery, is this correct? If not, will all my sockets be powered by the EHU or just the 1x 3 pin plug??

It‘s difficult to answer your questions as it depends what your convertor installed. To charge your leisure battery on EHU you need a battery charger, and you don’t mention one. What is that device in the metal case ?

Pete

All I know is, when I’m plugged into the EHU, I have given myself a 240 volt system in the van, to run 13amp sockets for charging laptops, running tvs, hair dryers etc, but also when it’s plugged in, I have a feed to my ctek250 that then charged the leisure battery back up, and so in my eyes, I’m running 12v power without using my leisure battery charge as it’s sitting topped up 24/7 on EHU

It‘s difficult to answer your questions as it depends what your convertor installed. To charge your leisure battery on EHU you need a battery charger, and you don’t mention one. What is that device in the metal case ?

Pete

I’ve quoted what I can remember being told. I think that’s part of the problem I haven’t used the system properly since it was fitted because of lockdowns etc. I know it has a CTEK 250 but I keep reading about people with a separate charger as well as DC-DC and I don’t remember being told I had this, so I’ll have to make a call to the fitter to check my understanding as I definitely want the battery to be charged from EHU as were hoping for several trips to campsites this year. I don’t know what’s in the silver box so maybe that has something to do with it, it just doesn’t look like everybody else’s separate battery charger.

I’ve quoted what I can remember being told. I think that’s part of the problem I haven’t used the system properly since it was fitted because of lockdowns etc. I know it has a CTEK 250 but I keep reading about people with a separate charger as well as DC-DC and I don’t remember being told I had this, so I’ll have to make a call to the fitter to check my understanding as I definitely want the battery to be charged from EHU as were hoping for several trips to campsites this year. I don’t know what’s in the silver box so maybe that has something to do with it, it just doesn’t look like everybody else’s separate battery charger.
If the fitter has owt about him, he’d have used that ctek charger so you can charge all your leisure at the same time. Take a better pic of your ctek for us, we will be able to tell from the cables coming off it

All I know is, when I’m plugged into the EHU, I have given myself a 240 volt system in the van, to run 13amp sockets for charging laptops, running tvs, hair dryers etc, but also when it’s plugged in, I have a feed to my ctek250 that then charged the leisure battery back up, and so in my eyes, I’m running 12v power without using my leisure battery charge as it’s sitting topped up 24/7 on EHU

that’s what I understood about my system, but I keep reading about people with 2x chargers and I only know of the Ctek250 DC-DC in mine. So I’ve just got a bit confused and want to make sure the set up is right before we start using the van for what it’s intended for.

that’s what I understood about my system, but I keep reading about people with 2x chargers and I only know of the Ctek250 DC-DC in mine. So I’ve just got a bit confused and want to make sure the set up is right before we start using the van for what it’s intended for.
Actually yea, you’ve just triggered my brain....
Ctek will charge it dc to dc when driving,

when on electric hookup, you have a seperate charger that you connect from your consumer in to your battery terminals.
I’ll try find a pic of mine, but @travelvolts is where I got mine.

Any markings on the silver box ?

Pete

I’m not in a position to take off the seats and swivel base to look closer at the moment but I think the silver box will be a 20a power transformer used often for caravans and motorhomes, I’ve found this online and it looks the same. I’m waiting for the fitter to get back to me as there was no answer this morning;

Back