EGR, what best to do?

EGR options

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alexzeat

VIP Member
Hi To all.

i have a 102hp Engine from 2016, and i have problem with the light of EGR codes, it turn off and turn on constantly.

I dont know how can i do. Can you help me with your experience?

1. Buy new EGR and replace it.
2. Clean the EGR.
3. Delete the EGR with programing.

Thanks you

If/when I have these issues, I will probably do 1 once, clean the spare, but probably move to 3 fairly quickly. I’d like a remap from a reputable company, so 3 may not work for me.

How do you use your van? Long steady journeys? Ever boot it in low gears? Use super market or cheap diesel?
Just curious…

Have you ask Vw if there is updated software? They may have made updates.

Hi To all.

i have a 102hp Engine from 2016, and i have problem with the light of EGR codes, it turn off and turn on constantly.

2. Clean the EGR.

Thanks you
Poll added @Alexzeat @Howzat

If/when I have these issues, I will probably do 1 once, clean the spare, but probably move to 3 fairly quickly. I’d like a remap from a reputable company, so 3 may not work for me.

How do you use your van? Long steady journeys? Ever boot it in low gears? Use super market or cheap diesel?
Just curious…

Have you ask Vw if there is updated software? They may have made updates.
You can still get a remap with the EGR deleted mate although you would need to get the map redone if you have the EGR deleted after the remap.

I am one the side of remove the EGR then get my van remapped. It’s currently mapped so will need the map redone once the EGR is out of the way.

Last edited:
I had issues with EGR, took to the garage in Norwich and after a week or so diagnosed 3 new injectors,1 injector re cleaned? 1 new injector pump, new filter.
The mechanic was able to disconnect the EGR from underneath, and cleaned it overnight, at no extra charge. This is on a 150BiTdi engine built 2015.
Injectors were about £240 each from memory, fuel filter £60, injector pump was £650, plus labour. Total of just under £2250. Now getting 30/31 around town and 35/38 on a run. Hope that helps.

What did you decide to do with this? I have a 2015 T6 euro5. My light has been on and off for a couple of months now and I’m leaning towards delete.

I had a remap about 3 years ago and I get about 39mpg in town and 45 on motorway.

Most of my driving is around town. I drive for 1 hour and cover 16 miles twice a day. I do a long run once a month.

Everything I read about the delete is positive except the extra emissions in the environment.

Forget option 2.
Now you only have 2 choices.
Why can't you clean the egr on a vw ? I used clean the one on my volvo v60. Does the design prevent cleaning? I'm sure I will be faced with this issue at some point so interested in people's experiences. Cheers

Delete EGR
Hi To all.

2. Clean the EGR.

Thanks you
Delete along with anything else restrictive

Back