EGR needs replacing. HOW? Where can I find a Manual or who can give me advice.

Pjotter

VIP Member
Yesss, one more of this :)

I noticed there where already quite a few threads like this. My EGR needs replacing and unfortunately I don't have the full funds for getting it changed by a mechanic atm. I used to work in cooling and heating systems so I know a bit how to work with my hands.
THe main issue is I dont seem to find a manual or a video for how to replace it. I would prefer to do it according to the right steps. I saw someone here just winged it, and it all turned out fine. But would love to get as much info on it as possible.

I've got a T6 van from 2017. 2.0l 82hp with only 38.000km

I did a huge trip during covid times and the van didn't drive for 1,5 years. I got immediately everything checked by a mechanic and had a big maintenance on it. But after a bit of driving this happened.

Big thanks!
Pieter

I took the cooler out today.. absolute nightmare. You need to work from top and bottom and strip out loads of pipework. Best to have a friend to help. Worst is the front lower bolt on the cooler.

Would I do it again.. maybe and its a serious maybe !

Reactions: mmi
Yep the bottom bolt and the nut is the worst part.

Do you have a part number for the cooler you replaced?

Cheers, from what I worked out the 04L131512T /CF is the complete unit with CF as the newest version.

Appears the repair kits are the T coolers with part number 04L198512 .

No idea what the difference between the T and CF versions are.

So, when people talk about having a new EGR fitted by the dealer/Indy, do the valve and cooler get replaced as one complete unit then? I ask, as our van is showing the codes that the EGR is blocked at 17,500 miles… (it had a dealer flush at 8,000 miles).

The EGR valve will almost certainly be badly fouled with hard carbon, this can cause leakage and will increase the force needed for the actuator to overcome.
I overhauled an EGR from a 102ps and the vacuum actuator required almost 3x the force to operate the dirty assembly as opposed to when cleaned.

So, when people talk about having a new EGR fitted by the dealer/Indy, do the valve and cooler get replaced as one complete unit then? I ask, as our van is showing the codes that the EGR is blocked at 17,500 miles… (it had a dealer flush at 8,000 miles).
Some only have the cooler replaced, some only have the valve replaced and the cooler cleaned. Problem is the coolers are main cause of coolant loss and those are mainly the older costs with the T part number. Newer versions are CF.

I don't line spending more than I have to but as its a long job and awkward I decided to replace the whole lot with the newest CF partnumber.

Back