Eberspacher and the cold!

Mick

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I thought I'd post this for info.

I am in Switzerland skiing. It was -12c most of the night. I went to turn on the Eberspacher heater, it wouldn't work: i think it was frozen. I am skiing with a Diesel engineer on fishing boats his solution was simple.

Put simply because I hadn't filled up in the mountains with diesel with the anti freeze additive added the diesel from the French motorway had probably 'waxed up'.

Went down the mountain filled up with local diesel, ran it when the temp was about 4c and it's worked like a dream since down to -10c. When it did kick in the smoke it kicked out for about 3 minutes was just legendary.

My question is I'm planning on skiing in Scotland. Do the Scots add the anti freeze or can you just buy it somewhere?

IMG_5483.JPG

The normal solution was to add x amount of petrol per tank but with modern diesels prob not the best unless stated in the owners manual- mine isnt at hand. I have seen diesel anti freeze but only online.

Where in ch are you Saas fee region?

wow -12, i live here and we only had -4... granted we're down and not up but still..! hope the snow is good? we're due some rain here sat..will i assume fall as snow up there..

Old trick yeah bung a bit of petrol or even parafin I’m not sure but some due additives may stop waxing,

Worst, "oh look, I'm skiing and you lot ain't" thread ever. :D

I hope the snow's good and you have a great trip... I bet it's quiet on the slopes.....

As for your heater, they always add anti waxing additives to diesel seasonally these days. Back in the day it was as above, or keep a kerosene heater on overnight, under a blanket covered bedford wagon diesel tank.... I guess in Ch they very it regionally too..

The normal solution was to add x amount of petrol per tank but with modern diesels prob not the best unless stated in the owners manual- mine isnt at hand. I have seen diesel anti freeze but only online.

Where in ch are you Saas fee region?
No Verbier/La Tzoumas.

wow -12, i live here and we only had -4... granted we're down and not up but still..! hope the snow is good? we're due some rain here sat..will i assume fall as snow up there..
It's up and down. This morning as -8.5 according to the VW temp gauge. We are at 1550m. We have been warned of a major snow dump tomorrow night which'll probably mean chains when we leave on saturday.

Worst, "oh look, I'm skiing and you lot ain't" thread ever. :D

I hope the snow's good and you have a great trip... I bet it's quiet on the slopes.....

As for your heater, they always add anti waxing additives to diesel seasonally these days. Back in the day it was as above, or keep a kerosene heater on overnight, under a blanket covered bedford wagon diesel tank.... I guess in Ch they very it regionally too..
Snow was great at the beginning of the week but it's a bit battered now. The slopes were mad on Tuesday local holiday, dead yesterday whiteout - today not a cloud in the sky and lots of queueing on some lifts.

Back