DSG paddle connector's

Gazbadge

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Evening all, I'm looking for some help identifying the correct pins for the connector pictured. These are the PCB's from the paddles on a DSG steering wheel. I'm pretty sure they're Molex connectors but I will stand corrected if not. The trouble is I have no idea what size/type they might be so hoping someone here can shed some light. I have replacement's fitted to my wheel so not a big issue if these can't be repaired. I paid £90 for used replacements so thought some value could be recouped from these if fixed.
Also, if these can be identified does anyone have a crimping tool and be willing to put them on if I post them out?

20210126_184044.jpg

20210126_184053.jpg

20210126_184132.jpg

Hi @Gazbadge,

Recently I had the same issue as you, MFSW turned up from Germany with paddles but the terminal connectors, your small white connectors were missing. You can’t buy these from anywhere, I know I tried. They don’t even have a part number.

I spoke with a spares guy at VW, 20 years working their and he couldn’t find anything to help figure out which wires go where.
It’s going to be trial and error I am afraid.

Eventually I ended up buying a replacement pair from the Netherlands.

The reason I state the above is that if you can fix them you will certainly recoup all of the money you spent on the replacement paddles.

i though they were JST pins, but not so sure now.

Dupont crimps and connectors maybe?.

1611688657476.png1611688712549.png

Last edited:
Evening @Texxaco

I did call into an electronics company near me who sort of um'ed and ah'ed about what they are but didn't really have an interest in helping any further.

I know the order of the wires and I could bodge it to a point it will work but wouldn't be willing to sell on like that obviously.

I also nipped into a dealer who quoted something like £200 + for replacement paddles. I did the same as you and bought some from Germany.

Last edited:
Evening @Texxaco

I did call into an electronics company near me who sort of um'ed and ah'ed about what they are but didn't really have an interest in helping any further.

I know the order of the wires and I could bodge it to a point it will work but wouldn't be willing to sell on like that obviously.

I also nipped into a dealer who quoted something like £200 + for a replace paddle. I did the same as you and bought some from Germany.
Evening @Gazbadge I remember the question of how much a set of paddles was, even the spares guy was embarrassed to tell me. £123 per paddle. Unreal, got mine for £50 although the wires are black on these.

Hi @Dellmassive

Thank you for this info, it looks like you're onto something. I will get some more pics and at least an idea of the dimensions, don't have a caliper or micrometer to hand until work tomorrow.

I'll have a good look into your suggestions and thanks for the heads up on the crimping tool. The ones I saw online were getting on for 500 nicker!

Hi @Dellmassive

Thank you for this info, it looks like you're onto something. I will get some more pics and at least an idea of the dimensions, don't have a caliper or micrometer to hand until work tomorrow.

I'll have a good look into your suggestions and thanks for the heads up on the crimping tool. The ones I saw online where getting on for 500 nicker!
£500 to use them possibly once.

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
Exactly. I'm no fan of wiring and electrical things at the best of times so a 500 quid tool is wasted on me.

Exactly. I'm no fan of wiring and electrical things at the best of times so a 500 quid tool is wasted on me.
Snap, can do mechanicals and stripping interiors/ exteriors but sparky stuff is black magic. Although I am keen to learn it.

Hi @Dellmassive

I'll have a good look into your suggestions and thanks for the heads up on the crimping tool. The ones I saw online were getting on for 500 nicker!

get some dimms . . . .

then start here:

1611690108317.png

JST kit

Dupont kit

If the knowledge could be implemented I'd take it no question but its something a just can't get into. The guy I work with has a good head for it but I just can't cope with it. I'll do anything else... within reason.

Some more pictures to help identify.

The pin looks to be about 5-6mm long and 1-1.5mm wide. Will get a more accurate measurement tomorrow and check against the info from @Dellmassive

IMG-20210126-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20210126-WA0012.jpg

As it stands I don't. I think I've still got the original buttons that came on the DSG wheel knocking about at work. If so I'll get some pics of that side and post tomorrow.

another option . . .?

10 x VW VAG High Quality 1.5mm Micro Timer II Terminals & Seals

1611694632796.png

Audi VW Skoda Seat Porsche 10 x Wiring Crimp Repair Terminals Pins 000979019E

1611694803753.png

Sorry to crash this thread guys but I've got a similar query. I'm moving my rear air con control panel to the back of the van so it can sit in the furniture. From the front of the Van there is only two wires that come from the connector block under the seat so I've extended them and Tesa Taped the loom, job done! However, there's another 50,000 (slight exaggeration) cables with about 3-4 meters of length that go from the control panel to the HVAC unit. I could just wrap all that excess wire up and hide it in the cupboard but I'd much rather do a proper job by shortening the cables and re-crimping some new pins into the connector block. From what I've read above I need a Dupont crimp but I have no clue which pins or sizes I require (would rather not buy a load of different ones through trial and error). Attached are pics of the two different pins I need, any help gratefully received.

IMG_20210211_124836.jpg

IMG_20210211_124600.jpg

Back