DSG not smooth on take off.

Bronco

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Morning all. 180 dsg. 16 plate. 40k. When pulling away mine is not as smooth as I would have expected. Had it 6 months and after driving for 30 plus years would say I’m an experience and frankly good driver and usually drive my vehicles with respect ( as in I’m not flogging the arse off them ). And I keep them pretty well serviced. So the issue is that it seems to lurch forward rather than pull away smoothly even when I’m applying a feather of throttle? Is that common ? ( it’s my first dsg box ) and maybe linked is that under heavier acceleration I sometimes get a slight (shaking tambourine ) sound which I wondered could it be a turbo or vac pipe leak? Once on the move though it’s seems to performe fine with plenty of oompff.

I’ve got similar miles on my 204 dsg and it’s still smooth pulling away, at that mileage you’re due a dsg service. £199ish at vw.

The DSG has inherent lag from a standing start, So throttle response can initially be slow then suddenly lurch forward... mine is like that 2019 -199DSG

I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to, as feathering the throttle I would of thought you would just notice the lag and sluggish response...

However the TVS DSG re-map is available and provides more responsive throttle control designed for the DSG and maybe something to consider at some point.

yes we did the gearbox oil service when we bought it. Thanks Jason yes that sounds like it. Having to apply more throttle than should be necessary to get away then it hooks up quickly. I’m starting on hills first thing in the morning which exaggerates the issue. It’s a little better in sport mode. Pardon my ignorance but what or who does the TVS remap?

@LakesT6 thanks for that. Spot on. I had thought about the Darkside gearbox remap. Anybody any thoughts or feedback? And then there’s my tambourine noise on heavier acceleration .. any ideas ?

@Bronco I would be more inclined to stick with the TVS re-map, mainly because many on here and others have had it and recommend it...

That's not to say the other products out there aren't as good... maybe its a confidence thing...

Some have also used the pedal box system... this has the advantage of being a bit cheaper and can be taken off easily and swapped to a new vehicle or sold if you decide to sell the van at a later date...

it seems to lurch forward rather than pull away smoothly even when I’m applying a feather of throttle?
Doesn't sound normal behaviour to me. Does it start crawling uphill when brake is released (no throttle applied)?
there’s my tambourine noise on heavier acceleration .. any ideas ?
A suspect could be DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel). Any tambourines at "P" on tick-over - cold or hot? Soft or metallic sound? Any chance to make an audio recording.

throttle response can initially be slow then suddenly lurch forward... mine is like that 2019 -199DSG
Care to share VCDS Auto-Scan please - curious what software bits VW put in there.

I love the dsg, but this is the one aspect where a manual is more controlled. Particularly tricky when crossing traffic to get to the other lane.
However, it’s just a learning thing. You need to know when to release the brake ‘in preparation’ for when you want to move. If you just squeeze a bit more on the pedal when it doesn’t move when you want, it will take off like a rocket a second or so later.

There is a vw map update, but it didn’t really may much improvement to mine. Not saying mine is bad, just could be better.
I’ll get the TVS update when out of warranty.

Reactions: mmi
I’m just getting used to the DSG on a T6.1
I’m used to automatics, but this is the first DSG for me. Two initial observations. Going down a steep incline starting at slow speed and it stays in first and over revs. Also on a hill start going up a steep incline there is a heavy clunk going from park to drive, anyone got an explanation for these?

I’m just getting used to the DSG on a T6.1
I’m used to automatics, but this is the first DSG for me. Two initial observations. Going down a steep incline starting at slow speed and it stays in first and over revs. Also on a hill start going up a steep incline there is a heavy clunk going from park to drive, anyone got an explanation for these?
1-Holds the gear to use engine braking.
2-Pressure on parking mechanism being released, bear in mind that the entire weight of the van is held by this if you rely on P position when stopped

If you want to go faster? I know it sounds like the engine is straining but it's not doing it any harm and saves on brakes!

First of all I would recommend a complete DSG reset. Anyone with VCDS can do this for you then it will relearn as a new box.

If it still doesn’t improve then, as others have said, TVS Driveability software will 100% cure your issue as well as improving many other parts of the gearbox operation.

Let me know if you want any more information

HTH

@mmi as attached.
Thank you very much. Unfortunately the VIN was blurred. Am I right assuming it is WV1ZZZ7HZKH****** ?? as these bits define vehicle class (M1, N1) + model year, which then define which software load is supposed to be in there.

Anyways, yours seems to be identical with the one that got DSG cured with ECU update - mentioned here --> https://www.t6forum.com/threads/dsg-gear-box-problems.20826/post-284723
Your ECU software: SW: 04L 906 056 RH 6753
The cured van has SW: 04L 906 056 RH 9779

Back