Drivers door creaky - hinge roller dry?

Dannyb6467

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hello folks,
I'm getting creaks when opening both front doors. The problem is the small rollers aren't rolling over the cams that hold the doors at certain positions...the rollers are seized. Happens on both doors and now my daughter's both doors. Both 2021 vans. Anyone else had this issue? I have tried various grease's and oils but nothing lasts to keep the rollers rolling.

Gone are the days when lubricating door hinges and door locks (also bonnet and rear lid hinges and catches) were lubricated when a vehicle was service.! It used to be on a dealers check list.

Unless it is me servicing my own :D!

Trouble is, alot of owners these days, would die of shock if they saw any lubricant externally

Hi,
I've had a similar issue on my 2021 van as well. The problem seems common enough. What worked for me was switching to a high-temperature lithium grease. It's a bit thicker and adheres better to the rollers and cams, so it tends to last longer than regular oils.

Additionally, make sure to clean the rollers and cams thoroughly before applying new grease. Sometimes, debris or old grease can cause the rollers to seize up.

Gone are the days when lubricating door hinges and door locks (also bonnet and rear lid hinges and catches) were lubricated when a vehicle was service.! It used to be on a dealers check list.

Unless it is me servicing my own :D!
Always remember the local SAAB dealers used to get a decent PTFE spray in a little aerosol about the size of a spice jar branded with the garage logo and phone number.

Did the car during service and left the rest of the tin in for you to use the rest of the year, really good idea.

Hi,
I've had a similar issue on my 2021 van as well. The problem seems common enough. What worked for me was switching to a high-temperature lithium grease. It's a bit thicker and adheres better to the rollers and cams, so it tends to last longer than regular oils.

Additionally, make sure to clean the rollers and cams thoroughly before applying new grease. Sometimes, debris or old grease can cause the rollers to seize up.
Like I said @Jerry100 it's always worth doing at least some of your own servicing.

I'm not keen on too much grease as it only attracts dust.

Hello, my front drivers door has a roller hinge part with some distinctly concave sections that cause a cracking / creaking as the roller jumps into the hinge stay upon opening and closing. Its as if it rolls too well now having no doubt worn in the past.
Looking at it i was wondering if anyone has just replaced the roller? If the tension on the spring was relieved could the old be lifted out and a replacement dropped in?
Hoping to hear someone has tried before getting creative with a ratchet strap!

Mine used to make a noticeable creaking sound, the roller had actually seized. I prised off the top cap and sprayed wd40 in a few times. After a week or so the roller started moving again and it is now quiet.

Hi Broadside, i think mine may have been seized previously which has caused the grooves in the roller! It now rolls easily which helps the roller jump into the hinge stay and cause the cracking / creaking.

Looking at it i was wondering if anyone has just replaced the roller? If the tension on the spring was relieved could the old be lifted out and a replacement dropped in?
If you have a lathe or get one made I don’t see why not. I’m pretty sure the hinge is a single component from VW.

DXX, having looked at it to establish where the noise was coming from i couldn’t see anything holding the roller spindle in other than gravity, and pressure against the door stay teeth. I guess i need to see a hinge unit out of a van to see if the roller will lift out?
I do have a lathe, but hopefully a van being broken may be more precise than my lathe skills!

DXX, having looked at it to establish where the noise was coming from i couldn’t see anything holding the roller spindle in other than gravity, and pressure against the door stay teeth. I guess i need to see a hinge unit out of a van to see if the roller will lift out?
I do have a lathe, but hopefully a van being broken may be more precise than my lathe skills!
Try making a simple slide hammer to get it off.
If you find a spare part on a donor van you may as well fit the whole hinge, but colour may not match.
If the part is worn because it’s been seized (normal situation) try rotating it 180 degrees with some pump pliers so it’s on fresh surface.

Try making a simple slide hammer to get it off.
If you find a spare part on a donor van you may as well fit the whole hinge, but colour may not match.
If the part is worn because it’s been seized (normal situation) try rotating it 180 degrees with some pump pliers so it’s on fresh surface.
I’ve tried rotating it but it soon rolls back around to a position where it can jump into the worn bits, and be noisy again.
I can feel an experiment to relieve the pressure between roller and door stay might be the next step!

Back