Drive-away Awning Or Family Tent

Jason Williams

VIP Member
Been thinking of upgrading my current drive-away awning, maybe to an air beam one. Been looking at the Vango galli but it's very expensive and was wondering if a family tent would be better value.
What do you guys use? Pictures and recommendations very welcome.

Thanks guys

Been thinking of upgrading my current drive-away awning, maybe to an air beam one. Been looking at the Vango galli but it's very expensive and was wondering if a family tent would be better value.
What do you guys use? Pictures and recommendations very welcome.

Thanks guys

We had exactly that quandary recently and eventually opted for Khyam quick erect driveway. Awning feels like extra room with van door open all the time even in poor weather. In a tent you'll be getting wet between the two and door firmly shut! Air or pole - was a tough choice but went for pole. OH put it up at the NEC in less than 10 mins having never seen it before. Easy peasy. Getting back in the bag afterwards is a different story!!

This is our current setup

kayham quick erect with sleeper, however Kayham do a hub version now which looks brilliant idea as its modular. :thumbsup:
This means you can add the bits you want for the situation.
Also wait till Christmas Day/Boxing Day and they have a genuine 50% sale, which is when I bought ours for £450, with groundsheet and carpets. Mega deal!!;)

We had exactly that quandary recently and eventually opted for Khyam quick erect driveway. Awning feels like extra room with van door open all the time even in poor weather. In a tent you'll be getting wet between the two and door firmly shut! Air or pole - was a tough choice but went for pole. OH put it up at the NEC in less than 10 mins having never seen it before. Easy peasy. Getting back in the bag afterwards is a different story!!

Thanks for the reply. I like ur set up. I've had a look at the Hub you mentioned, I've noticed there's no sewn in ground sheet. Has this bothered you? Just wondering about wind and bugs etc..

We've got the Kela and like it a lot - it adds a decent amount of space to the van (but there's only two of us) and also somewhere to stash all the misc. bit and pieces if we want to drive off. The awning itself seems very weatherproof and the only real issue that we have had is that the [tiny!] gaps where two lengths figure of 8 strip meet allows water to drip though and onto the groundsheet. That can't be just us - does anybody else have the same thing happen? I've actually tried to source a 2M strip with no luck (but haven't really tried that hard yet!) and will maybe try to bodge another solution in due course - it will probably involve gaffer tape.

Last edited:
We've got the Kela and like it a lot - it adds a decent amount of space to the van (but there's only two of us) and also somewhere to stash all the misc. bit and pieces if we want to drive off. The awning itself seems very weatherproof and the only real issue that we have had is that the [tiny!] gaps where two lengths figure of 8 strip meet allows water to drip though and onto the groundsheet. That can't be just us - does anybody else have the same thing happen? I've actually tried to source a 2M strip with no luck (but haven't really tried that hard yet!) and will maybe try to bodge another solution in due course - it will probably involve gaffer tape.
Hi ,I was impressed with the space the actual tent has, like u we r only 2 but we will use the awning to store our bikes and things when we drive away.
Will report any problem if any when I get it soon

Good choice. A piece of advice that I would give you is to replace the four 'webbing' guy straps that are are supplied to to pin down the side with the main entrance and, assuming you use an awning rail and 'figure of 8', the side that fixes to the van until you drive away (and the tunnel is stowed). They are a pain in the 4rse to get to the right tension so I bought 4 new straps with cam buckles which are a hundred times better. Hope that makes sense!

PS. Also, get yourself a couple of cheap awning poles and extra guy lines to hold the main door up. Good luck with driving away and parking back in the right spot again - it takes a little practise but my tip is to use two tent pegs and a length of fluorescent guy line - the pegs are to mark the centre points of the tyres when you reverse using the guy line as a guide.

It takes a little practise but my tip is to use two tent pegs and a length of fluorescent guy line - the pegs are to mark the centre points of the tyres when you reverse using the guy line as a guide.

What a great idea. We have been using 2 tent pegs to mark the wheel centre points, but you can't see the bloody things easily when reversing - need to get some more fluorescent guy line now.

Pete

Good choice. A piece of advice that I would give you is to replace the four 'webbing' guy straps that are are supplied to to pin down the side with the main entrance and, assuming you use an awning rail and 'figure of 8', the side that fixes to the van until you drive away (and the tunnel is stowed). They are a pain in the 4rse to get to the right tension so I bought 4 new straps with cam buckles which are a hundred times better. Hope that makes sense!

PS. Also, get yourself a couple of cheap awning poles and extra guy lines to hold the main door up. Good luck with driving away and parking back in the right spot again - it takes a little practise but my tip is to use two tent pegs and a length of fluorescent guy line - the pegs are to mark the centre points of the tyres when you reverse using the guy line as a guide.

Thanks for the suggestions, appreciated, I am saving till around Febr for the Vango Kela V,
franco67

Back