DPF light on, coincidence or not

russvphoto

VIP Member
T6 Pro
18000 miles since new always using BP Ultimate diesel from the same 2 garages then the last 4 fills of normal BP diesel due to the price increase. The DPF light came on Sunday night at the 4th fill just after 1000 miles in 2 days of motorway at 62mph. It cleared after 15mins of 2500rpm driving. It just makes me think that the Ultimate diesel is actually worth the extra cash. Anyone else had similar?

You would have been better off pocketing the extra cost of the premium fuel and putting towards the maintenance.
There’s at least one massive discussion already on the Forum regarding this subject, it’s about as divisive as US politics!
Spend your money as you want but I use Tesco and Asda and haven‘t had any issues in decades.

I have always used premium fuel in all cars and vans diesel and petrol and happy with my choice (no choice with my classics) I do miss the smell of four star!

But only the other day I spoke to a AA man and he said he ran his 17 plate transporter on supermarket fuel for 117k plus miles and not a dpf/egr or adblue issue!

Pays ya money and make your own choice

You would have been better off pocketing the extra cost of the premium fuel and putting towards the maintenance.
There’s at least one massive discussion already on the Forum regarding this subject, it’s about as divisive as US politics!
Spend your money as you want but I use Tesco and Asda and haven‘t had any issues in decades.
So what maintenance do you recommend apart from always having VW service when required? Do you yourself pay for extra services?

I bought a used van with a pre-paid VW service plan. Once that was used up I do it myself, I’m a mechanic / engineer (non auto).
What I was highlighting is the EGR unit will coke up regardless of the fuel source, the extra money spent on premium fuel would be better spent replacing the EGR unit.

I bought a used van with a pre-paid VW service plan. Once that was used up I do it myself, I’m a mechanic / engineer (non auto).
What I was highlighting is the EGR unit will coke up regardless of the fuel source, the extra money spent on premium fuel would be better spent replacing the EGR unit.
Do they only last 20,000 miles, doing nearly all long journeys too.

Do they only last 20,000 miles, doing nearly all long journeys too.
Seems to vary, the different engine codes have different EGRs. If the EGR valve itself is fouled and leaking when it should be closed the exhaust gasses will be recirculating through the EGR cooler and engine continuously.
This will block the EGR cooler far quicker than if it were operating as it was designed to by VW.
It will also deposit more carbon than was invisiged by VW in the inlet manifold, valves, combustion chambers, engine oil, and DPF. All round a quick way to depreciate an engine.

I’m one of the always use premium fuel and a squirt of additive, never had any lights come on at all, therefore premium fuels are worth the money.

*Keeps fingers crossed now I’ve cursed myself*

18000 miles since new always using BP Ultimate diesel from the same 2 garages then the last 4 fills of normal BP diesel due to the price increase. The DPF light came on Sunday night at the 4th fill just after 1000 miles in 2 days of motorway at 62mph. It cleared after 15mins of 2500rpm driving. It just makes me think that the Ultimate diesel is actually worth the extra cash. Anyone else had similar?
I’m of the understanding that the DPF light only comes on when the soot is excessive, and this is not usual. Normally the van just regens without illuminated indication, you just see high revs, it stinks, and fans running on. So something not right here if you were on motorway. Even if fuel was creating more soot, then van should just regen more frequently, but without a light. It sounds like the regen has been restricted for some reason (low fuel level) or been turned off during a few regens.

Personally I use V power. I believe it burns cleaner creating less soot, so less regens, and less chance of EGR clog.

Am I right? Who knows! I’d need a control van running the different fuel doing exactly the same journeys from new to even start to get an idea, and that would be just 1 data point.

It’s all a gamble!

18000 miles since new always using BP Ultimate diesel from the same 2 garages then the last 4 fills of normal BP diesel due to the price increase. The DPF light came on Sunday night at the 4th fill just after 1000 miles in 2 days of motorway at 62mph. It cleared after 15mins of 2500rpm driving. It just makes me think that the Ultimate diesel is actually worth the extra cash. Anyone else had similar
Strangely, I had exactly the same.
I don`t use the premium fuels but always (or nearly always) add some 2EHN to the tank before fuelling.
I had the van really loaded for the a couple of fills, and couldnt get to the container for the additive. Sure enough, on the third fill the light came up.
It did clear, but I too thought it was a strange coincidence.

Back