Dodgy stop start and tickover!

mopardave

150 Kombi Manual
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Well........it didn't take long but I think my Kombi is playing up? I noticed that the stop start has a mind of it's own. It doesn't kick in when it should.......sometimes I get the symbol on the dash that tells me it's been deactivated. The aircon isn't on......there isn't any abnormal electrical load......not even the fan on. Sometimes it seems to be ok......but more often than not, it isn't. I've noticed that the tickover is inconsistent too. Most of the time it's at 1000rpm......too fast surely? The rest of the time it's about 825rpm. When it's at 1000rpm, it would seem that's the time the stop start doesn't behave. Spoke to a technician who suggested it's doing a dpf regen.........I said "what.....all the time!" Taking it back next week.......I think the battery's duff. He said there were no recalls for my vehicle.
Any thoughts anyone.......must admit I'm disappointed after just 200 miles.
MD

Does sound a bit strange, i have noticed on occasions my stop start doesnt engage for no apparent reason but its only now and then, be interested to hear what the official verdict is

What does yours normally tick over at? Have you ever noticed a fast idle?

Never looked accurately but around the same as yours i reckon, will have a look when behind the wheel

Hmmmm? We'll see what Vw say......the guy I spoke to certainly thought it was worth looking at.

Read your manual mate apart from the obvious warm engine full battery i seem to remember is says something about the temp dial being set between a certain range, may or may not be relevant ?

Read your manual mate apart from the obvious warm engine full battery i seem to remember is says something about the temp dial being set between a certain range, may or may not be relevant ?
Come on Pauly, real men don't read manuals.

I know what you're saying Pauly........but the fan isn't on most of the time. It all seems too inconsistent.......and it doesn't explain the different idle speeds. Struggling to find a patern here????

Cant see its related to engine but in the manual it lists conditions for SS to operate and one of them refers to temperature, no mention of fan or AC being on just set temp !!

Cant see its related to engine but in the manual it lists conditions for SS to operate and one of them refers to temperature, no mention of fan or AC being on just set temp !!

the technician I spoke to referred to fan speeds above two being a potential trigger.......anyway, he's intrigued. goes in on Tuesday.

For what it's worth, my AC is permanently on, fan set at 1 and temp down at lowest setting. My s/s works probably 90% of time once engine is warm. My idle, likes yours @mopardave tends to be around 950 most of the time.

I think the steering wheel position effects the SS as well, it's gotta be pointed straight for it to turn off.

Do you do a lot of short runs as it could be regenerating the DPF as it will not stop start during this period . I have only done 2500 miles in mine but I haven't noticed a regen . My ford would do what you are experiencing .

no short journeys for me Keeff..........30 mile runs in light traffic.......pretty much ideal motoring I would have thought???? I never do short journeys.

I think you may be panicking over nothing. I have owned 5 blue motion tech VWs and it's not just battery drain and tick over, it can be humidity and environmental factors. The tick over RPM again depends on what the ECU is monitoring at the time. It's really dependant on various factors.

Stop start works most of the time for me, on a warm day it kicks in soon after starting up, idle is constant at about 850 rpm, if engine is cold rises to about 950rpm until warm

I think you may be panicking over nothing. I have owned 5 blue motion tech VWs and it's not just battery drain and tick over, it can be humidity and environmental factors. The tick over RPM again depends on what the ECU is monitoring at the time. It's really dependant on various factors.

Funny you should say that Buggirl.......today, on my journey, the ambient temperature was a lot cooler than previous days. Tickover was constant at approx. 825rpm and stop start was good as gold! Now I'm thinking the high ambient temperature was affecting things. I couldn't hear the fan running when I was stationary in traffic.........which I would have thought might have induced an increased idle speed? Hmmmmm????? Like I said in my first post though........the technician was intrigued......but I'm wondering if I am possibly getting bent out of shape over nothing? Maybe I should monitor it for a while??????????

Funny you should say that Buggirl.......today, on my journey, the ambient temperature was a lot cooler than previous days. Tickover was constant at approx. 825rpm and stop start was good as gold! Now I'm thinking the high ambient temperature was affecting things. I couldn't hear the fan running when I was stationary in traffic.........which I would have thought might have induced an increased idle speed? Hmmmmm????? Like I said in my first post though........the technician was intrigued......but I'm wondering if I am possibly getting bent out of shape over nothing? Maybe I should monitor it for a while??????????
Like I say having owned several blue motions, I would monitor it. Mine doesn't always come on and like I say depends on environmental factors. Trust your dub!

Back