Do I need to sound deaden T6.1?

KrakFox

Hi folks, buying brand new van + conversion from a reputable dealer/converter.

The salesman said they don't bother with soundproofing as the insulation is enough. All i know about the insulation is it's made from recycle plastic bottles.

Can't find any advice online that says not to bother soundproofing.

What are your thoughts? Should I try and insist they do it/pay more or am I'm splitting hairs (kinda broached the subject already but they don't add sd). Will the factory installed bits of sound deadening be ok? – i don't need it silent etc but if it's a total racket with just the factory install mats then maybe i need to ask?

thanks

If you don’t do the sound deadening you’ll regret it. If you are in a position where the converter is arguing the point take your money elsewhere.
Applying sound deadening takes time which costs money. It is something you could easily do yourself before going to the converter, most good converters will now have at least 6 months lead time so you have plenty of time to do it properly.

Insulation alone will help, but most on here would recommend you sound deaden as well.

Much easier and cheaper to do it now, so if the converter isn’t interested, you can always do the sound deadening before it goes to them.

I've sound deafened as have most on this forum but do bear in mind that most transporters you see on the road probably aren't so it's definitely not sessentialjust a nice touch.

thanks for the advice - I'm getting the van from them – it's sitting in their carpark waiting to be converted over the next 6-8 weeks. I'll go chat with them

Did mine extensively and it's very time consuming if done right ......could be why they say it's not needed.

It's not essential, but to those of us who enjoy our vans it makes driving more enjoyable. Air conditioning isn't essential but I'd rather have it than not have it!
It's money well spent.

It really depends on their insulation method, you can use many layers of material, foam, sheep’s wool, recycled bottles etc etc and this will all help to deaden the vehicle. However this is not a substitute for sound deadening and I would recommend sound deadening every time. It is your van at the end of the day, therefore your choice and it’s not unreasonable to ask them to fit for you at additional cost of course.

I do find it strange that a ‘reputable dealer/converter’ as you say would not recommend this….:oops::oops:

Rgds
Ian

Your only choice is to talk to them then. You’re probably in a bit of an awkward situation as they won’t let you take the van away but they do need to reassure you. Maybe by taking you out for a drive in one they completed?

yeah I've emailed them so will see if we can compromise. If for whatever reason they can't/won't let me soundproof it or something they do with their conversion makes it moot, then I guess it's not end of the world. I'm sold on the company themselves – they've been excellent and it's local too, so i don't wish to go elsewhere. just making sure it's not deemed too much of a deal breaker. guess i could live without sd if i will never know the difference! :D

yeah I've emailed them so will see if we can compromise. If for whatever reason they can't/won't let me soundproof it or something they do with their conversion makes it moot, then I guess it's not end of the world. I'm sold on the company themselves – they've been excellent and it's local too, so i don't wish to go elsewhere. just making sure it's not deemed too much of a deal breaker. guess i could live without sd if i will never know the difference! :D

It would absolutely be a deal breaker for me. Having gone through this process for the first time earlier this year, I was shocked at the converters out there that don't take this into account. I tested conversions with and without, and would not entertain one without. Can not understand why any converter would not do it as standard.

It would absolutely be a deal breaker for me. Having gone through this process for the first time earlier this year, I was shocked at the converters out there that don't take this into account. I tested conversions with and without, and would not entertain one without. Can not understand why any converter would not do it as standard.
Agreed deal breaker for me as well.

Haha! Fat fingers and no proof read! I'll try again below.

I've sound deadened as have most on this forum and noticed a (slight) difference but do bear in mind that most transporters you see on the road probably aren't deadened so obviously not essential and will come down to each person's opinion of what is quiet or noisy.

Back