Do I need load rated tyres?

New2t6

T6 Pro
hi, just got my new t6 Kombi, it’s a T30, dsg 150.
It came with the highline 16 inch alloys but I have a set of devonports I plan to put on but dont want the ride to become firmer.....the devonports have load rated Tyres on just now (came off a T32) , so my question is, when the tyres need changed can I replace with non load rated ones to , I assume , soften the ride, as I found them pretty hard on my previous T32?

It came with the highline 16 inch alloys but I have a set of devonports I plan to put on but dont want the ride to become firmer.....the devonports have load rated Tyres on just now (came off a T32) , so my question is, when the tyres need changed can I replace with non load rated ones to , I assume , soften the ride, as I found them pretty hard on my previous T32?
Yes you can, because your van is a T30, not a T32 that your replacement wheels came off.

@DaveyB Think he was asking when the tyres needed changing could he replace them with non load rated.
I get that. He doesn’t need them to be rated to 103 as the replacement tyres he already has will be (with the Devonports having come from a T32).
Any tyre needs to be load rated according to the axle weight of the vehicle that they are being fitted to.
I guess it depends how you interpret the original post. I read it as he was seeking to understand whether he needed to put 103 tyres back on when replacing, which he doesn’t, but do agree with your interpretation that he will still need an appropriate tyre for a T30. So we are both right. :thumbsup:;)

Yeah my first post was hard to understand....and I wrote it!
I'm wanting to use non load rated tyres on my devonports (when they need replaced) on my T30.......and from your replies I cant.

Thanks

If you have a T30, then I believe the axle ratings are 1600/1610kg front/rear. Therefore each front wheel has to be rated to 800kg, and each rear wheel needs to be 805kg.
In terms of tyres this means they need to be 101y.
This is calculated as:
Tyre rating of 100 = 800kg
101 = 825kg
102 = 850kg
103 = 875kg
The highest wheel rating on your van is 805kg hence why you need 101 rated tyres. You could buy 2x 100 and 2x 101’s but what’s the point in that; you can’t rotate them around the corners to even out tread wear.

What I found had a great affect on ride comfort was reducing tyre pressure. My T30 on Devonports was running at 58psi all round, which I reduced to 50psi front and 45psi rear. I find this pressure ideal for everyday usage.
If I was to really load the van up, then I would increase pressures again but for the most part, the lower pressures are fine.

SCRAP THE ABOVE I BOUGHT A DIFFERENT VAN !!!Re the tyres
I now have a 2017 Kombi 204 in reflex silver 204 ps DSG installed a Slide pod , very quick no need to re map this one !!! i,m playing with tyre/wheels to try and get a softer ride, i have even tried Amarok wheels and tyres which gave a much softer ride but made the van look like a beach buggy just looked wrong !! any way i,m going to fit a set of Michelin cross climates 215 65 r17 103 XL these have enough load rating 875 kg per tyre which equals 1,750kg per axle hopefully the extra bit of side wall and these run at less psi should soften up the ride ????? any advise from any one would be much appreciated i,m also having the bottom half painted in Natural grey metalic

I swapped hankook 205 65 R16 with Michelin cross climates 215 65 R16 on the front of mine and it's made the ride much softer. Need to change the rears as well now.

I swapped hankook 205 65 R16 with Michelin cross climates 215 65 R16 on the front of mine and it's made the ride much softer. Need to change the rears as well now.
Morning KB the tyres that my Kombi came with from new are Conti Van Contact good tyres but very commercial and extremley hard if you run them at the advised psi which is 58 psi makes them rock hard, i,m told the bigger the side wall the less psi you need to run the tyre on ?? so soon as they get worn i,m changing to Michelin cross climate 215 65 r17

I have lowered the psi on my conti van tyres which is probly the wrong thing to do but it has made a massive difference and i dont carry that much weight any way just a Slide Pod and Kiteboard gear good luck regards

Dave 07973408032 dont mind any one calling me

Back