Discovery Firmware update and Fader decode (Wilts)?

rhys_V

Newb here so apologies if the answer is in previous posts- I promise I've spent good time searching!

My newish-to-me 2016 T6 is having reverse cam issues: "Park Pilot is not available" or similar.R Rear sensors display doesn't always show up after the message too.

It MAY be since pop top install - damaged optical cable perhaps - however in searching I've seen this seems to be a known fault and firmware update might resolve. I'd also like to unlock rear speaker fader, so would like to try this before going back to pop top fitters and finding out they rip up carpet line to inspect cable and find no fault, and timing was just coincidental!

So, is it possible VAG coders can update firmware? If so, any recommendations for Wilts/Swindon area? Also any estimate of expected cost?

Otherwise are there reasonable replacement head units (with better equaliser and hgiher quality sound/amplification) that work with OEM reverse cam?

Many thanks in advance

Newb here so apologies if the answer is in previous posts- I promise I've spent good time searching!

My newish-to-me 2016 T6 is having reverse cam issues: "Park Pilot is not available" or similar.R Rear sensors display doesn't always show up after the message too.

It MAY be since pop top install - damaged optical cable perhaps - however in searching I've seen this seems to be a known fault and firmware update might resolve. I'd also like to unlock rear speaker fader, so would like to try this before going back to pop top fitters and finding out they rip up carpet line to inspect cable and find no fault, and timing was just coincidental!

So, is it possible VAG coders can update firmware? If so, any recommendations for Wilts/Swindon area? Also any estimate of expected cost?

Otherwise are there reasonable replacement head units (with better equaliser and hgiher quality sound/amplification) that work with OEM reverse cam?

Many thanks in advance
Try the simplest possible fix first - reboot the unit by pressing and holding the on/off button, the modern equivalent of Ctrl/Alt/Dlt which was always my IT’s first suggestion - which did sometimes work.

Try the simplest possible fix first - reboot the unit by pressing and holding the on/off button, the modern equivalent of Ctrl/Alt/Dlt which was always my IT’s first suggestion - which did sometimes work.

Thanks, I should really have noted I've tried a few things on HU- factory reset and power removal with the HU out which I'd guess would do the same as the hold power button? Either way I've tried that now and no change...

Thanks but pretty sure those methods are both just map software update rather than firmware? I did find these in my searches. It's specifically firmware which may be the culprit- I'm on version 2.somethingorother and I believe we're up to v4 now so there's a fair gap

Just Googled, looks like a visit to a main dealer is your only route to update firmware without getting really techy.

The Disco unit is crap anyway, plenty of aftermarket options from @Absolut5 who luckily for you isn't too far away either.

Just Googled, looks like a visit to a main dealer is your only route to update firmware without getting really techy.

The Disco unit is crap anyway, plenty of aftermarket options from @Absolut5 who luckily for you isn't too far away either.
Thanks, I'd started to think dealer is possibly the only way (something about firmware update requiring a live connection to internal VAG systems to authorise the update...which is bloody ridiculous!... "Right to repair" anyone?!) But needless to say that fills me and my wallet with dread. I'd rather never speak to VW again based on previous experience.

@Absolut5 I think you've actually been helping me on the FB group with speaker recommendations! Would be interested in head units if they would work with the OEM camera? Also maybe then I could power from leisure battery and use as my camping audio (was going to use a seperate Bluetooth amp due to canbus power timeout)
I don't want to spend a lot though, nowhere close to Alpine halo money...the rest of the conversion is cleaning me out and this is merely to fix cam issues and add simple rear fader.

I personally find the Disco head unit OK, but sound quality and equaliser settings are certainly lacking.

Last edited:
Another thought for testing whether cam lead is damaged...is it possible to plug a TV in to the camera feed at head unit end (cheap cable?) in some way to test the reverse cam??

May I ask why Discover Media is crap?

Well in my opinion obviously, but as a £1500 option there are many much better aftermarket systems available. My Discover media headunit is gathering dust in my garage, probably the biggest waste of money I’ve ever spent.

This guy may be worth a shout on firmware -

Thanks mate - I joined the group and saw the post, then dropped a PM...but guessing the fact I wrote to him in English instead of auf Deutsche may have been offputting!

I'm going to try and hook up a TV thru a chopped off RCA cable to the cam feed going into quadlock, to see if I get any signal. If it's good then I know the head unit is the problem and I'll probably just cut my losses and get higher quality aftermarket stereo, rather than paying hundreds to unlock fader and get firmware update which might not even fix it.
If no signal then looks like pop top fitters have a bit of work on their hands I'd say ;)

Let us know please if you find a way to update firmware without visiting main dealer, mine seems way out of date too and have only been able to update maps at this point.

It's specifically firmware which may be the culprit- I'm on version 2.somethingorother and I believe we're up to v4 now so there's a fair gap
What have you got under Settings - System Information.
The version identifiers 2 or 4 don't sound familiar.

Re "Park Pilot is not available" - have you read the fault codes - they usually give good indication where the culprit is.

What have you got under Settings - System Information.
The version identifiers 2 or 4 don't sound familiar.

Re "Park Pilot is not available" - have you read the fault codes - they usually give good indication where the culprit is.
Here's my version screen from software updates menu. A guy on FB group linked me to a Mega upload but I think it's the same version.

I would like to get codes read but don't have a reader or know of anyone locally :(

20210320_085819.jpg

Let us know please if you find a way to update firmware without visiting main dealer, mine seems way out of date too and have only been able to update maps at this point.
I did test update process from download of a link a guy on FB group gave me and it worked fine! Download, write to (16gb or less) SD card.
Then insert, hold menu button and go into software update.
The version seems to be the same though, so I'm trying to hunt the very latest to see if it helps.

Here's my version screen from software updates menu. A guy on FB group linked me to a Mega upload but I think it's the same version.

I would like to get codes read but don't have a reader or know of anyone locally :(

View attachment 109116
I was expecting to see something like this by going through Menu - Settings - System Information.
5F-SystemInfo-nkg.jpg

[
[/QUOTE]
Yeah I posted the more exact version from the software update screen, but it's basically the same- you can see the software version is actually the same- "0245" on both.
Mine has update now, to 0254.
Made no bloody difference to my reverse cam issue tho of course!

Back