Disaster Waiting To Happen! Do You Have This Gas Tap Fitted?

rod_vw

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Recently I have had a near disaster with a two way gas manifold.

One of the taps simply fell apart although this must have been caused by a knock to the knob at some time that would have never been with any force. Luckily this occurred when an item was removed from the cupboard where the manifold was situated. Had it occurred when the item was replaced into the cupboard the failure could have gone un-noticed with consequences that I don’t wish to even think about.

The failure is that the crimping of the top portion of the valve to the main brass casting was insufficiently made to retain the upper portion firmly. The second valve that has not come apart can also be seen not to be firmly crimped into the main body.

Here is the location of the manifold showing the broken valve --

full.jpg

This is the valve removed from the vehicle --

full.jpg

And detail of the only identifying marks on the valve body --

full.jpg

The vehicle is a self-build by me back in 2017, the manifold was supplied by a well known major motor home parts supplier. I have notified my supplier of this failure but do not intend to publish their name.

If you have a similar one, two or three way gas manifold please be aware of this failure. NOTE there are a number of similar manifolds so don't assume that yours is the same without a very careful inspection.

Rod

No one wants a “knock to the knob” :sick:

Seriously though, nice one for making people aware.

Thanks for the heads up. Is there a manufacturer’s name and kit marking?
I’d be contacting the maker and advising the consumer protection due to the potential serious nature of the issue.

PN16 is not an identifying mark, it is the pressure rating; Pressure Nominal 16 bar.

Thanks for the heads up. Is there a manufacturer’s name and kit marking?
I’d be contacting the maker and advising the consumer protection due to the potential serious nature of the issue.

There are no other marks, words or numbers on the manifold.

Rod

Probably a cheap and nasty Far Eastern import. Surely there should be safety compliance markings on such kit?

Back