Disable built in passenger seat airbag (not the dashboard one - the one IN the seat)

Campervandave

VIP Member
I am removing a twin seat from a shuttle and putting in a single captains. My problem is that the original seat has a built in airbag down the side of the seat and the new seat has no airbag. How do I disable this? Can I do something in VCDS to prevent the airbag warning light being on all the time?
Thanks!

My knowledge is around fitting a non-standard steering wheel into a porsche. Basically you have to fit a resistor across the two air bag contacts to fool the system into thinking the air bag is there. For the Porsche it uses a 2.7 or 2.8 ohm resistor. May be different for VW.

It can also lead to an MOT failure as it is obvious a safety feature has been removed. Probably less of an issue with a seat as less obvious.

Hope that helps a little.

Ian

Just fit a resistor to the plug under the seat. Needs to be the correct 2 as there is also a ground wire in the plug.

I am removing a twin seat from a shuttle and putting in a single captains. My problem is that the original seat has a built in airbag down the side of the seat and the new seat has no airbag. How do I disable this? Can I do something in VCDS to prevent the airbag warning light being on all the time?
Thanks!
A challenging/interesting one.... Just had a look of a few scans and there seems to be a coding pattern depending of what airbags are installed.

What's your current airbag controller coding (module 15)? What airbags you currently have?
Best VCDS guess would be to find a van having desired airbag configuration from the factory.

Perhaps VW dealer could recode the configuration?

When I bought my T5 the converter had left the old seat airbags loose under the seat VV dangerous. I removed them and fitted 2.7 ohm resistors. That turned the airbag warning light out. Can't guarantee for a T6 but worth a try.

I had to buy a big strip of resistors to get the one 2.7 Ohm resistor I needed.

Happy to post a few.
Regards
Ian

I’ve just removed my front bench seat and replaced with a captain’s seat. Unfortunately, I’ve now got the dreaded airbag warning light (as there’s no airbag in the new seat).

Has anyone had any luck with fitting a resistor? If so, which resistor do I need and how easy was it to fit?

As far as I can see, the connector has 3 pin holes - which one does the resistor fit into?

Thanks!

Thanks @mmi. Great help.

Do you know if i’ll need to re-set the warning light or will it correct itself once I’ve fitted the resistor?

Thanks @Pauly. Really helpful. Will fit the resistor and then look to get the fault cleared. Great help.

Will the OBD2 reset this issue? I spun round my passenger seat on holiday and then switched the ignition on to open a window to allow my solar power cables into the van.

Sadly the ODB2 reader I bought (see image) does not detect or clear the airbag fault light on my T6. I'll flog it and look for another.
Has anyone had success in clearing the airbag sensor light, which results from disconnecting the front passenger seat loom before you swivel it round, and then accidentally switching on the ignition?

Thanks.

Back