Diff lock warranty question

Jimmi

Television Lighting Engineer
T6 Guru
My difflock keeps turning itself on when I start the van. This happened before and then stopped and had started doing it again today. Both times it has happened when we’ve had heavy rain?? But my question is, will changing my wheels and tyres for larger than factory standard void my warranty? All 4 tyres are the same and were all brand new, so there is no difference between them with regards to diameters.

What size do you have ?

Pete
235/55/18 8.5 wide
I called VW to ask about warranty and was told “anything that wasn’t fitted as standard could affect my warranty”. So I bought a S/H set of Devonports to avoid any problems.

My difflock keeps turning itself on when I start the van. This happened before and then stopped and had started doing it again today. Both times it has happened when we’ve had heavy rain?? But my question is, will changing my wheels and tyres for larger than factory standard void my warranty? All 4 tyres are the same and were all brand new, so there is no difference between them with regards to diameters.

I can not advise on warranty issues, except to suggest that some dealers will take every opportunity to find fault while others are only too keen to be helpful and obliging. I do not know why that might be. Therefore it might be best practice when visiting a dealership, to present the vehicle as standard as is practical. That, or be prepared to offer contradicting knowledge, that what is fitted has no effect what so ever on the matter. Legally I would guess that warranty could only be refused if it was definite or very likely that something contradicts the integrity of a failed part or other or that the vehicle was used contrary to good or normal practice. The tyres that you mentioned do not appear overly different.

I am no mechanic. I do have a large experience of various off road type of vehicles, from the very small to the fairly large, including small Suzuki's,many types of Landrovers, 101fc, Defenders ect ect, Toyota Landcruisers, Ravs, Honda thingimys, Mercedes Unimog, G Wagen, Skoda Yeti Volvo C303 6 wheel drive and many I have forgotten. Oh and of course VW Caravel T6. All driven on and off the road quite extensively. Well, perhaps not extensively with the T6 just yet but certainly have driven it, just too early to say but I live off road Nearly if not everything, that has a mechanical diff lock, will, from time to time, either say it is engaged when it is not or it is disengaged when it is engaged. Sometimes the tolerances in the switch or lamp circut are too fine and a change in temperature will allow a contact to close to show engagement or disengagement or some times the very diff lock its self may not disengage properly or indeed engage. Occasionally an activater is still active or not working properly

If it is the actual diff lock not disengaging properly, then some sort of crabbing or axle wind up will usually show its self with accompanying noise or difficult steering when on hard surfaces Particularly when turning sharply. It is good practice when relying on mechanical diff locks to disengage a little distance before finishing an off road stint. If that is practical. This allows the splines so slide apart while the way is soft and allows a little wheel slip. If not the there may be to much pressure between moving parts withing the axle or gearbox if it is a LR or similar. The T6 ony has a mechanical diff in the rear axle. If it is not possible to run off road for a little while when disengaged, perhaps its too slippery or a lifting axle, dictates diff lock use, then try running one side along a verge or weaving side to side or just going back and forth repeatedly. Sometimes then, it may disengage with a bang or just free its self and driving becomes looser. Another trick is to ride up a curb sharply to allow the wheel to take the air. This will allow sudden and violent wheel spin which usually allows the diff lock to disengage. Diff lock sometimes do not engage strait away either and it may take a few yards, meters, to slide home. One has to have a little mechanical sympathy with such things.

What you need to know, is the lock engaged or is it just the indicator lamp illuminating erroneously. It can damage parts of the transmission if it is engaged while diving long distances because of axle wind up. If it is just the lamp then that is just a nuisance.

Please excuse my long winded explanation, it has been a very long while since I have written anything on line. I am very rusty!

Just a small addition to the above. I am sure that many may know this, however it can be quite surprising that there are also many that do not.

Mechanical diff locks, can become reluctant to operate, if they are not used every now and then. Not everyone that has a diff lock might intend to travel off road. However we do not always a exact foresight. One day, wet or windy night, one may be forced off the highway by an incident, or perhaps deep snow has covered a road and one is trying to drive up hill perhaps. Maybe towing another stricken vehicle out of a ditch, what ever. Traction at the rear is lost, one of the wheels spin uselessly away and the other corresponding wheel just sits still. We go nowhere very fast, just digging ourselves in even deeper into the mire. We operate the diff lock switch and nothing! It has seized up!

It is quite important, to ocasionsally lock it up and release it a few times. Best off road but a verge will do, even just one side but all wheels better. Think of it, as a little maintenance. A lot less hassle than a strip down, though some times a little patience and trying it on and off may free things up eventually.

Reactions: CAB
Back