Disable t6 diff lock.

TTKT

Australian Member
VIP Member
Hi. Just today in the wilds of NSW, heard unusual noise outside when turning on a gritty town street - noticed the diff lock had turned on, all by itself. Not an accidental bump. Does not cancel with button. Comes on repeatedly when driving off at low speed, and warning sounds when up to a higher speed. Only way to stop it, is leave motor off for a while (30 seconds or so) , then switch on and, if light does not come on immediately, drive up to 45kmh speed as quickly as possible - if it hasn't come on by then, it doesn't after that. No good in street situation, worried about damage. Is there a way to disable it, e.g. a specific fuse, pending a repair? Currently 1000km from a dealer, and it is Saturday. Thanks, Tim.

Hi. Just today in the wilds of NSW, heard unusual noise outside when turning on a gritty town street - noticed the diff lock had turned on, all by itself. Not an accidental bump. Does not cancel with button. Comes on repeatedly when driving off at low speed, and warning sounds when up to a higher speed. Only way to stop it, is leave motor off for a while (30 seconds or so) , then switch on and, if light does not come on immediately, drive up to 45kmh speed as quickly as possible - if it hasn't come on by then, it doesn't after that. No good in street situation, worried about damage. Is there a way to disable it, e.g. a specific fuse, pending a repair? Currently 1000km from a dealer, and it is Saturday. Thanks, Tim.
I didn’t pay much attention as i don’t have 4M. But i do recall a fuse mentioned that would do this sonewhere on the forum. I believe the post was by @Loz

Fuse SC14 feeds the power to the differential lock controller.

The fuse SC14 feeds also CANbus isolation relay so it will disable also your front radar (if equipped) and consequently ACC. Also OBD socket is powered via the fuse but it's just the socket - if nothing is connected there (e.g. OBD reader), no harm there.

For RHD here:
Left column, 5A mini fuse

If this doesn’t fix it call VW Assist. I’ve used the service when I could not remove a wheel. Courteous, and the wheel was off in no time. I think there are affiliates in remoter places - give it a try, nothing to lose.

That aside, really sorry to hear of your predicament.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Fuse SC14 I will locate and try this out.
However - gremlins everywhere it seems - after getting rolling OK and another 200km on the highway, the problem did not recur at the next town. Nor has it in an hour of stop-start around that town - so maybe it wiill never recur. But it's unsettling and will get a mention at next service. It's great to be able to ask for this help and get such quick responses! Regardss, Tim.

Well it’s dark now and I hope you have made it to a town. Let’s know how you get on. Thinking of you.

Perhaps it could be worthwhile booking in to a VW ServiceDept and have them look for fault codes. Carista might help if you have one.

Some VW Assist vans don’t have the technology to diagnose faults and it would be unlikely for a country contractor to have the capacity to check the faults either. The city based techs seem quite knowledgeable about VW’s and calling them might be easier than going to a dealer.

Could I ask where in NSW you are traveling? We are ex-Sydney living in Brisbane and have dome some great trips in a T6 camper.

Best wishes,

John

Hi John. Thanks for that advice, we'll consider carefullyy.
The van has taken us from Perth through the Great Central Road to Uluru, Kings Canyon, down to Oodnadatta then round Lake Eyre up to Cameron Corner, Tibooburra, Silverton, Broken Hill, Menindee, Wilcannia and now Bourke. We went to Halligan Bay camping, and Level Post Bay (the worst track we have been on). Heading east now via Armidale to Bateau Bay, then round the bottom home slowly. 50% of the 6000km has been on gravel roads and the van has been good since suspension lift a year ago.
3 years ago we did the same sort of trip but used the Eyre Hwy and had some hairy moments on sandy tracks, but the van has been improved a lot since then. The AWD and A/T tyres make a huge difference to a van like this. Regards, Tim.

I wonder if this could be a faulty Diff Lock switch. Might be worth pulling out the switch & disconnecting it at the dash.

Back