Diesel Leak

Dan M

Returned back from a drive out last night to the strong smell of diesel, on looking below I could see diesel running along the length of the fuel tank and actively dripping onto the driveway.

Phoned VW assist today and the AA swiftly came out, offered to follow me to the VW Garage but as they aren't open on Sunday's I wasn't keen on leaving the van outside the locked gate of the VW Garage. I'm going to drive it out there tomorrow once they are open and drop it off.

Now the issue is......Van was both supplied new and converted from the same place which is a long distance from where I live. Both the auxiliary heater and the coolant heater were on the VW order but the Coolant heater was missed off by the factory (not uncommon by VW), hence this was then fitted by the Converter which required tapping into the diesel supply somewhere which likely means that they dropped the diesel tank.

Thoughts on how this will pan out if VW Centre check the van and the issue is related to the convertors work? I don't want to be out of pocket, only had the Van a couple of weeks.

Thanks,

Dan

Sounds quite simple - If its down to the convertor, VW will either charge you to reclaim, or invoice the converter directly. If its not it will be warranty.

Im surprised VW assist let you drive with leaking fuel?

Thanks Bognor, hopefully it's pans out that simple.

Guy had a quick look underneath but essentially just said he didn't want to touch it or even try and work out where it was coming from as it's all under warranty. He seemed to think it would be fine to drive to the dealership which is about 12 miles away.

Thanks Bognor, hopefully it's pans out that simple.

Guy had a quick look underneath but essentially just said he didn't want to touch it or even try and work out where it was coming from as it's all under warranty. He seemed to think it would be fine to drive to the dealership which is about 12 miles away.
Let's hope no bikers are following you.

Was searching for something else and realised that I never updated this thread from last year.

Turned out the convertor had drilled through the fuel tank (not once, not twice but thrice), new fuel tank from VW and system flushed to remove any swarf that might have gone through the pickup etc. To say I was angry was an understatement.

Paid for by convertor.

Careless b*stard.....and what about the diesel you'll have dropped on the road too.....brilliant if you're on a motorbike or push bike! I should bl**dy well think he did pay for it!

Careless b*stard.....and what about the diesel you'll have dropped on the road too.....brilliant if you're on a motorbike or push bike! I should bl**dy well think he did pay for it!

Back