moving on from the mechanicals . . . its time to start enjoying the van.

the first official campout of 2024.

T6F Spring Camp. - T6F Spring Gathering 2024 - (April 19-21st) - VENUE CHANGED to Brook Meadow

we had a blast . . .

the van done a great job,. . . but the added EHU was nice to get the 700w heater going over night.

1714810098616.png

we went for the Air awning option this time, to allow for some rainy weather. . .

1714810156251.png1714810206263.png

and had the Forum Gazebo for some shelter from the elements. . .

1714810243998.png

but running with no Leisure battery for a three day weekend took its toll on the starter battery. . .

i didnt think it was going to start at home time. .

luckily i always have the NOCO GBX75 boost pack, so can get myself going again incase of a flat battery. . .

if you haven't already got one - id highly recommend one.

1714810464189.png

the BM2 log showed the starter battery dropping below 12.0v for the second and third day - which is not good and will start to weaken the battery if that continues.

so its time to look at getting the LB and 12v system sorted. .

12v system ----- hmm, so which way to go.

well i was going to go down the CLAYTON LPS route, have have now decided against this.

the LPS needs to be built into a cabinet, and as we are KOMBI + OVANO its just not right for the setup.

by that i mean it needs placed somewhere, in space i havent got spare.

i do however have space under both front seat bases. . . .

so im thinking, 230ah seat base battery under the seat, ( Roamer or Fogstar )

with a 30-50A DC-DC charger for engine charging.

+++++

ill start here, that way i can re-route the internal lights to the LB,

run USB etc of the LB,

and use a Ecoflow Delta2 as mains power when needed, plus use the seat battery to trickle charge the Delta2.

++++++

this got me thinking, as the kombi is a daily driver for us, we just need to make it camper friendly when camping.

so the whole inverter, diesel heater, onboard water / gas etc etc is not needed all the time,

so we can just drop in the EF Delta2 when needed. ( ie camping weekend )

that gives us 240v mains for the coffee machine, kettle, hair dryer, - the main issue is charging it.

so well connect it via a XT60i + SB50 anderson to the 230ah seatbase battery for a 24/7 100w trickle charge.

I've tested this over a camping weekend with a 230ah battery box and a Delta2 - and while the Delta2 drops in power over the daytime, the night time constant trickle charge is enough to keep you going.

++++

then i got thinking . . what about two SB230ah battery's?

if i fitted one under each seat base. . . that's 230+230ah = 460ah ( that's 5520wh)

plus the EF Delta2 which is 1024wh

that's a total of 6544wh.

that should enable me to run off grid for a good few days, and allow me to run the electric heater at night,

whilst all the time trickle charging the EF.

and if needed a short engine run will allow a 50A charge to get back into the seatbase battersy.

++++

then we can add EHU chargers,

starter battery maintainers,

solar PV etc etc.

+++++++

so lets sketch it out,

a rough plan for twin 230ah seat base battery's,

both with MIDI fuse blocks and isolator switches,

twin fused SB50 fly leads for connecting plug and play kit in ( ie solar PV / EF delta units)

50A DC-DC charger

AMT12-2 starter maintainer,

with options of adding in EHU chargers.

no main battery shunt a the min . . . though i do have a smart shunt ready to go, but with the battery's in different locations ill leave it out for now,

and will have to rely on the battery's BMS BT APP. (which as we know can drift massively if the battery's are not 100% top charged to reset the BMS SOC)

1714811885777.png

I really like the idea of using the EF for the 240v @Dellmassive - good alternative to running a dedicated invertor as you say.
Trickling off the seatbase batteries will keep that running nicely.

Just wondering why the PV would go to an MPPT and into the DC-DC?

(It's been a month or two since removing the Fogstar, Renogy, Victron & Solar panel from my van and not missed it yet but this stuff still interests me ;))

lets start getting some bits in . . . .

we already have a few lithium batterys around, so that sorted,

1714813672351.png

next us is the DC-DC Charger,

I've decided to go for a Victron Orion XS 12/12/50,

a 50A charger that can me current limited via the app and is very configurable, and also doesnt need a IGN feed.

1714813775871.png

for the cable links,

I've gone for 25mm2 (170A) cable as per the chart for 50A over 5-6m lengh,

i normally go for the ExtraFlex stuff, but got a better deal on a 10m roll of durite cable.

1714813946400.png1714813957139.png1714813970796.png

i also went for some decents 25mm2 5mm/8mm crimps,

1714814515518.png

+++

for the fuse boxes i went for these MIDI POS+NEG fuse blocks.

I've used them loads before and like them,

plus they have screw terminal cable connections, which saves having to crimp 25mm2 ends on and makes a smaller cleaner install. (for higher power 60+ Amps i would use a crimp connected midi/mega fuse)

1714814370799.png

+++

I've also added in some smaller 3way POS only MIDI fuse blocks, (again I've used these before)

1714814452906.png

+++

this AMT12-2 (B2B trickle charger for starter) has also just arrived,

this will reverse trickle charge the starter battery from the lifepo4 battery bank . .

this will be fitted next to the DC-DC under the seatbase.

1714814627420.png

SB50 Anderson connectors . . . .

these will be wired into the above fuse block and allow plug-n-ply kit,

either solar PV or EHU battery charger or Delta2 charge or smaller 300w inverter. etc etc.

1714814723517.png

+++

and with the SB50s i use this 8AWG flexi silicone cable,

its good for 50A short durations, but will start to get warm above 30A.

1714815065889.png

+++

1714821728830.png1714821746520.png

+++

crimper I've already go sorted - Battery cable crimping tool recommendation please

next i need to get the Battery isolator switches,

I've been looking at these 275A ON/OFF switches,

ill be adding one on each SB230 battery,

1714815282122.png

+++

the last bit is tghe PPP,

a EcoFlow delta2 - Portable Power Packs - LifePo4 Battery Boxes -- How I done It --

1714815365351.png

or even the Delta2 MAX. - Portable Power Packs - LifePo4 Battery Boxes -- How I done It --

1714815405217.png

TBC . . . . .

Last edited:
I really like the idea of using the EF for the 240v @Dellmassive - good alternative to running a dedicated invertor as you say.
Trickling off the seatbase batteries will keep that running nicely.

Just wondering why the PV would go to an MPPT and into the DC-DC?

(It's been a month or two since removing the Fogstar, Renogy, Victron & Solar panel from my van and not missed it yet but this stuff still interests me ;))
ah yes, i made the paper plan a while before i decided what way to go.

i was showing the option of running the PV in to a DC-DC + MPPT combined unit - like the Renogy DCC50s,

or

use a stand alone victron MPPT.

as it happens I've now decided to go for a Vicron XS DC-DC, so ill need to use a separate victron MPPT.

i have a roof mounted flex, rear JB 160w panel for the van - but ill be leaving that for the pop-top roof when i get that done,

for now solar is only need when camping,

so ill just bring along some mobile panels and plug the MPPT into any of the SB50 andersons to top up the LB`s,

the AMT12-2 will the keep the starter topped up.

my plan is full off grid - but full electric,

so i save the extra cost of EHU per night, - still have the creature comforts of EHU.

+++

in our case, 700w electric heater,

1714815859551.png

+++

1400w coffee pod machine,

1714815970354.png

+++

1000w kettle.

1714816089132.png
+++

and the wife's 2100w Hair Dryer,

1714816213440.png
++++++++++++++++++

oh we have the 12/240v compressor fridges too,

++++++++++++++++++

fyi we decided early on that there is no-cooking in the van,

so its CADAC DUO + Gas for that - all outside.

and a JETBOIL if needed.

+++++++++++++++++

Two seatbase batteries?!?, bloody hellfire you're going to end up with more lithium on board than an ID Buzz at this rate...

Good plan topping up the EcoFlow, though in my book I'd never describe 100w as "trickle charge" :p

Yeh, I'm still not sure on the total run time I need or want ... ?

I think I need to leave the heater in the van on the eco flow and set the thermostat, and see how long it will run for.... Though we normally only use the heater at night when it's cold. ... So an unknown ATM.

I know that last year on a three day trip we run the delta2 and 230ah seat base both dead flat, and with no EHU or dc-dc we was stuffed. (Mobile boxed batteries)

We didn't even have the heater with us.

I had to return home for a charge up and battery swap.

So hoping not to make the same mistake again.

:mexican wave:

If you have the 1024 Wh Delta 2 for which EcoFlow claim the inverter efficiency of 85%, then:
1024 x 0.85 = 870 Wh available, which will power your 700 W heater for:
870 / 700 = 1.25 hours
Granted, it doesn't run continuously when the thermostat kicks in, but it's still not going to keep you warm for long

If you have the 1024 Wh Delta 2 for which EcoFlow claim the inverter efficiency of 85%, then:
1024 x 0.85 = 870 Wh available, which will power your 700 W heater for:
870 / 700 = 1.25 hours
Granted, it doesn't run continuously when the thermostat kicks in, but it's still not going to keep you warm for long
Very true,

I'm looking at about a 25% duty cycle with the thermostat.

Then add in the 230ah lithium battery that will be used to trickle charge the delta2 upto 8A or 100w....

Then with two....

230+230ah = 460ah ( that's 5520wh).

Assuming we fit both...

Run the numbers on that and see how long we can get....?

Very true,

I'm looking at about a 25% duty cycle with the thermostat.

Then add in the 230ah lithium battery that will be used to trickle charge the delta2 upto 8A or 100w....

Then with two....

230+230ah = 460ah ( that's 5520wh).

Assuming we fit both...

Run the numbers on that and see how long we can get....?
As a rough guestimate that will run the heater for 5.8 hours before the delta2 runs to 0%.

As a rough guestimate that will run the heater for 5.8 hours before the delta2 runs to 0%.
Lol... Yeh I'm hoping for way longer than that.

Assuming the 700w heater will be on 25,% duty cycle.

So 700w or 700wh.

At 25% duty is 175wh

Taking the two batteries of 5520wh, plus a full delta2 of 1024wh gives us a total of 6544wh to play with.

That means the 6544wh divided by the heaters 175wh should be. 37.4hrs.

Assuming no losses or other loads.

Then take the 37,hrs run time and split it down into 8hr nights that the heater will be on....that should give us 4.7 days worth of nightime heating.

You might be better off with more direct heat if that works for you - an electric blanket or throw runs at 150w ish, nearly five times the runtime.

Heating loads off battery really show how power hungry we are at home!

Lol... Yeh I'm hoping for way longer than that.

Assuming the 700w heater will be on 25,% duty cycle.

So 700w or 700wh.

At 25% duty is 175wh

Taking the two batteries of 5520wh, plus a full delta2 of 1024wh gives us a total of 6544wh to play with.

That means the 6544wh divided by the heaters 175wh should be. 37.4hrs.

Assuming no losses or other loads.

Then take the 37,hrs run time and split it down into 8hr nights that the heater will be on....that should give us 4.7 days worth of nightime heating.
Ok, delta2 inverter efficiency is 85%. Therefore you lose 15%.

So, the 700W heater will draw approx 805W.

Running for 25% time call it 200W per hour.

100W of that will come from the 2 additional batteries.

That means the delta2 will be flat in about 8 hours.

It doesnt matter how big your additional batteries are if they can only charge the delta2 at 100W.

You might be better off with more direct heat if that works for you - an electric blanket or throw runs at 150w ish, nearly five times the runtime.
Did a little test on our electric blanket last night as it happens....
Highest setting (3) that Mrs SMC likes, drew 93w out of my jackery. Liking it cooler on setting 2, drew 53w. Left it on for 2 hrs and the Jackery reduced from 68% to 53%.....

Ok, delta2 inverter efficiency is 85%. Therefore you lose 15%.

So, the 700W heater will draw approx 805W.

Running for 25% time call it 200W per hour.

100W of that will come from the 2 additional batteries.

That means the delta2 will be flat in about 8 hours.

It doesnt matter how big your additional batteries are if they can only charge the delta2 at 100W.
I'll plug it in tomorrow for a ⁸hr session in the van and we'll see what happens.

Wouldn’t it be about 2 grand cheaper just to get a diesel heater fitted?

Lol.... Yeh probably.

I've have a quote of around £1k plus for the OEM ducting and a 2kw heater.

And im defo getting it done.... At some point.

But this first stage is just the 12v power, (for everything else)

The 700w heater is just a side tangent were falling down.... The weather is getting better every week.

And tbh, I doubt we would even need the heater from now untill October this year.?

We already have the two seatbase batteries and DC-DC chargers etc etc... so just needed some extra cable and fuse blocks.

But I have a delta2 and a delta2 max...

And the 700w heater.

And a couple of 230ah seatbase batteries.

So I think I feel.a @Dellmassive road test coming on.

I'll just jerry rig it all up and see what happens.

Sure environmental elements will effect the outcome, mainly the outside temperature.

But I'm up for the test to see what happens.

Reactions: CAB
I can wholeheartedly recommend the diesel heater, they really do warm the whole van up really quickly.

And it's handy not just when camping. Picking someone up/waiting around for someone with it's cold and don't want to sit there with the engine running for heat? Stick on the diesel heater!

Doing some work inside the van and feeling a little chilly? Stick on the diesel heater! :rofl:

Minus degrees in the morning and commuting to work at 7am? Stick on the diesel heater (half an hour before you leave) and have a nice toasty warm and defrosted van! :cool:

I can wholeheartedly recommend the diesel heater, they really do warm the whole van up really quickly.

And it's handy not just when camping. Picking someone up/waiting around for someone with it's cold and don't want to sit there with the engine running for heat? Stick on the diesel heater!

Doing some work inside the van and feeling a little chilly? Stick on the diesel heater! :rofl:

Minus degrees in the morning and commuting to work at 7am? Stick on the diesel heater (half an hour before you leave) and have a nice toasty warm and defrosted van! :cool:
I'm sold.

Get me booked in.

:mexican wave:

Back