Dash Centre Storage-Tray

Hi guys, just bought this genuine vw storage box to replace the open tray on top of the dash
Has anyone fitted one, and are there any hidden fixings?
If so what did you do with the redundant 12v socket?
Any help or advice is much appreciated
Cheers

View attachment 85871

View attachment 85872

View attachment 85873
I believe Romany Tampin (@Base1388) had a battle with this and eventually gave up the fight.
He really does not like the open storage hole and even suggested in replacing it with a complete comfort dash, just so he never had to look at it again

I had a standard dash in my hi line and fitted an OEM cubby, and TBH wish I never started.
it is definitely not a simple job. The cubby doesn‘t just drop in. I had to cut the top of the dash to make it fit.
Even after that it is still not 100%, as there are gaps on the sides when you lift the cover to gain access.

Thought seemed too easy, I'll have a look when it arrives and if it seems like its going to be a pain it'll be going back on Ebay

Thanks for the heads up

@DXX - Where did you buy the hinges from. I have Van X speaker cover on order and I might try and hinge the unit.
Bought Feb 2018, there maybe cheaper available and they come in different finishes. One hinge is too short for the full width.

Bought Feb 2018, there maybe cheaper available and they come in different finishes. One hinge is too short for the full width.

Awesome
Where did you source the plastic for the ‘lid’?
I’ve decided against cutting the dash for the comfort box but would still like something there to cover and yours looks almost factory or at least the the untrained eye of a thief!

Looking through Autotrader today I came across this top compartment on the dashboard.

Not sure if I have been going round with my eyes shut but didn’t think a closing lid was available. 0D09078A-5E8B-4B2B-8B62-53E8D40C4468.png

It’s standard on a comfort dash.

Thank you. I assume it’s not possible to just fit the top cover to the standard dash?

Have a look on youtube...i bought one from travenlite on a whim thinking it would just slot in....turn's out it doesn't!Mine will be going on the for sale section soon,because i'm not that confident on taking the dashboard off!

Have a look on youtube...i bought one from travenlite on a whim thinking it would just slot in....turn's out it doesn't!Mine will be going on the for sale section soon,because i'm not that confident on taking the dashboard off!
Not confident?!! I’m positively petrified at the notion!

I notice that on the standard dash there is a piece of trim across the back that pops off. Could the OEM top box lid be separated from the bottom bit and be modified to hinge from the back trim slot ? Just a thought without cutting the dash up??

It's well worth having if you can fit it though ;)

Back