Dash cam - how does it work?

TeamD

T6 Pro
Hello

I have front and rear dash cams in my new to me Van (had it 3 weeks). Not sure if they are factory or not

I've never had them before how do they work? How do I operate them?

Photos attached of front dash cam

Thanks

IMG_1552.jpeg

IMG_1553.jpeg

Does depend how it is wired in.

Usual aftermarket dash cams are wired on a ignition live feed from a piggy back fuse in the fuse board (for T6 usually the central lower dash box) so that the camera is powered and recording when the ignition is on. Most cameras will turn on themselves on when turn on the ignition and then turnoff when you turn it off.

Have you tried seeing if it powers up when you turn on the ignition?

Does depend how it is wired in.

Usual aftermarket dash cams are wired on a ignition live feed from a piggy back fuse in the fuse board (for T6 usually the central lower dash box) so that the camera is powered and recording when the ignition is on. Most cameras will turn on themselves on when turn on the ignition and then turnoff when you turn it off.

Have you tried seeing if it powers up when you turn on the ignition?
That’s the thing…. I can’t see any power lights on it at all so I don’t know if it’s on our not.

Not sure where the SD card goes either.

I’ll have another look and report back ….

Following further investigation, it seems like the dash cam is not getting any power even with the ignition on. Does anybody know where the location may be hardwired for the fuse for me to check? Or anything else? As you can probably tell, I’m a total newbie to this, thanks for your help in advance.

usually the central fuse box in the middle lower section of the dash:

1707133490787.png

possible a piggy back fuse, will look something like the image below although the position may change slightly

That will give 12V positive feed supply. There should also be a (usually black) wire that goes to a ground (negative point) along the cable route. cable route is likely behind/under glove box and up the A pillar. My dash cam ground point is on a screw behind the side panel of the dash passenger side. panel just pulls off just be careful of the airbag switch

1707133756314.png

If it was me, I personally would trace the wires from the dashcam back. It is likely just poked up behind the headlining so should come down easily and then it is likely just an A pillar trim to remove. Probably simpler to remove the A pillar and it will be obvious if there is a black wire out of place so then you are half way there :)

This is a good video, guy talks a lot but all the info is in there

I have a similar Blackvue dash cam with a rear camera. It also has a parking mode, where it continues to record (& save “incidents”) when the ignition is off, so it has two power/signal feeds to it. One ignition switched feed that I piggybacked off a fuse as mentioned by @david173 , and the other I have taken from the leisure electrics to avoid too much drain on the starter battery. I think the cable that came with it allows for that so only one plug supplies power.
If I remember correctly the microSD card locates at the same end of the unit as the two plugged in wires (one of which is for the rear camera). There is a rectangular button on the front of the mount that allows you to remove the unit to the left.
You will need the Blackvue App on your phone to configure and make the most of it.
Oh, and there are 3 small LEDs on the rear, that indicate power/recording, Bluetooth connection. Wifi connection.

I have a similar Blackvue dash cam with a rear camera. It also has a parking mode, where it continues to record (& save “incidents”) when the ignition is off, so it has two power/signal feeds to it. One ignition switched feed that I piggybacked off a fuse as mentioned by @david173 , and the other I have taken from the leisure electrics to avoid too much drain on the starter battery. I think the cable that came with it allows for that so only one plug supplies power.
If I remember correctly the microSD card locates at the same end of the unit as the two plugged in wires (one of which is for the rear camera). There is a rectangular button on the front of the mount that allows you to remove the unit to the left.
You will need the Blackvue App on your phone to configure and make the most of it.
Oh, and there are 3 small LEDs on the rear, that indicate power/recording, Bluetooth connection. Wifi connection.
Thank you

Back