dab aerial for pop-top? current aerial not great

scotia

Mechanical engineer
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hello,

just wondering what you guys have done with regards to the aerial for a dab radio with pop-top?

We fitted a pioneer avic from absolut and its great but the dab reception with the glass aerial is pretty poor to say the least.

I have been suggested to use a roof mount aerial but with the pop-top im not seeing that as an option?

Can't help with recommending a solution but, aside from the obvious cable routing issues, I wonder if the pop top roof would work as a decent enough ground plane to improve the signal?

@Absolut5

yeah the outside aerial i think is a must having found this on the other forum... http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=974922

just got to see how to get it mounted with the tailgate & poptop..

@Absolut5 hello its andrew from Switzerland - i got your email ta. Any thoughts on this? I was thinking the aerial with a super long cable (we have a LWB) and i manage to get it in the back section of the pop-top (outside of the tent so no waterproofing issues..).

would this be feasible? Q: does the aerial unscrew? to be able to pass under 2m etc?

Last edited:
Hiya

This dab aerial dosent need ground plane to work...

Yes it unscrews....

Ok, could you pm the price for this with enough cable to get from the back to the front with quite a lot of slack?

How would you go about the fixing? Just like on a car roof?

Hello again.. Im not sure if anyone else has done this but i imagine with the DAB aerial of the T6 being as good as it is maybe yes?

I in anyways will have to do something as the glass mount one that i have (absolut warned me it wasnt as good as roof mounted..but i didnt research how to do it with the pop top before..) as the dab is not really usable.

I have been out to the van and think i have a possibility - if i mount the aerial in the middle of the SCA roof right at the back, and then feed the cable through the velcro joining of the tent material (so i dont need to make a hole...bonus). I then feed the cable along the inside of the SCA frame and can pop it down into the B pillar plastic and from then the roof lining, down the A pillar and into the radio..

My question is for anyone who might be able to help: Can i drill a hole in the SCA frame where i need to pop the cable from the top of the bed to the B pillar?

IMG_9426.JPG

IMG_9428.JPG

IMG_9430.JPG

Can’t advise on the drilling of holes but can confirm taking the cable in though the Velcro at the back of the SCA works - that is how my solar panel cable is routed and it also helps deal with the required loop of cable to cope with the roof’s scissor lift.

Can’t advise on the drilling of holes but can confirm taking the cable in though the Velcro at the back of the SCA works - that is how my solar panel cable is routed and it also helps deal with the required loop of cable to cope with the roof’s scissor lift.
Hello,
ok thanks - how did you deal with the cable when it came in this way? im thinking pass through the bed board (if i drill a big enough hole this should be fine) and then i can go underneath the wood panelling of the roof frame and be nice & tidy..

@Absolut5 - do you have the dimensions of this aerial? esp when its unscrewed - just to know the height i'd have? ta v much!

Hello,
ok thanks - how did you deal with the cable when it came in this way? im thinking pass through the bed board (if i drill a big enough hole this should be fine) and then i can go underneath the wood panelling of the roof frame and be nice & tidy..

@Absolut5 - do you have the dimensions of this aerial? esp when its unscrewed - just to know the height i'd have? ta v much!
Hole drilled through the frame just inside the Velcro and routed through to wardrobe at the back where I have my charge controller. If you go through the bed board you would need to account for additional movement when the sleeping platform is raised or lowered.

Hole drilled through the frame just inside the Velcro and routed through to wardrobe at the back where I have my charge controller. If you go through the bed board you would need to account for additional movement when the sleeping platform is raised or lowered.
ah did you drill the frame then? any pics when you have a spare minute? would be most helpful!

ah did you drill the frame then? any pics when you have a spare minute? would be most helpful!
I didn't do it myself - picture of cable inside back of pop-top showing where it goes through. I have a console with speakers and lights in below this so no sign of the cable as it drops into the van and is routed into the wardrobe:-
IMG_3630.jpg

Ok, could you pm the price for this with enough cable to get from the back to the front with quite a lot of slack?

How would you go about the fixing? Just like on a car roof?

Antennasystems dab/fm shorten beesting with extensions £99.00 plus postage add £10.00 for a sharkfin

I cannot remember the thickness of a SCA roof, but had to file the nut down to do it up, as it’s thicker than a steel roof

Hi @Absolut5 - managed to find my original thread! Would you be able to give me the dimensnions for the two variations? beesting (once unscrewed, ie just the base) and sharkfin?

this would help enormously as i want to see if i can keep the 2m height.. obviously i need to assure myself i can accuratley meaure the overall height though..!

ok thanks..im going to try to accurately measure tonight. if i am comfortable with the 2m then i'll do the beesting, if not then i'll have to try a window external mount. Hopefully better than the current internal window one. We must be in the Swiss sticks..:)

oh crap, so we are at the height limit, i cant add a beesting & deffo not a sharkfin.. unless anyone knows of a really low profile one when unscrewed? talking 20mm... @Absolut5 ?

or is there anywhere else i can put an aerial with the poptop and keep my current height?

Let the air out of your tyres, lol

You will struggle to find one no higher than 20mm...

ha! thats the other option - fit air and then i dont worry....but im not sure i could do that..money & also swiss law..

what about this one? Connects2 Ltd

or could i mount it anywhere else on the roof to get signal and not interfere?!

Back