Cylinder3 Glow Plug

davidjack

Got a 2016 T6 and just been told that the glow plug for cylinder 3 is faulty and that it will cost me £500 to repair. Anyone else had this issue? Vehicle is only just out of its warranty.

a faulty glow plug wont stop the van from starting . . . . did you have other issues before? . . . or was it highlighted on a scan?

Warning light was on for a couple of days. Van was running fine and starting fine. Put it into Lookers VW and they identified the problem. Van is a diesel and I know nothing about cars.

The cylinder 3 glow plug is a special one - engine's cylinder pressure sensor is integrated into that one only (but not in cylinders 1, 2, 4). So that might partially explain the price.
I haven't heard about these failing. So I'm a bit curious to hear if it's the pressure sensor failing or "just" the glow plug. If you could ask the garage for the actual fault code that would be great.

The book shows a good plug should read less that 1 ohm. . . . . But if its the special one as @mmi said. . . .

looks like the special CYL#3 glow plug is around £55-£85 compared to £10-£15 for a standard on Autodoc.

and the run @ 4.4V apparently.

Annotation 2019-07-10 165338.jpg

/

Annotation 2019-07-10 165522.jpg

Reactions: mmi
The cylinder 3 glow plug is a special one - engine's cylinder pressure sensor is integrated into that one only (but not in cylinders 1, 2, 4). So that might partially explain the price.
I haven't heard about these failing. So I'm a bit curious to hear if it's the pressure sensor failing or "just" the glow plug. If you could ask the garage for the actual fault code that would be great.
Thanks for that- I'll ask for the error code and pursue it with VW- not expecting any success but worth trying.

If its out of warranty take it to a local garage, that as a genuine part is around £100 with the vat so that a fair bit of labour unless that includes diag work already done

The glow plug symbol doesn’t mean glow plug fault, mine us currently flashing because too much ash has built up on the dpf.

We're in Glasgow are you and is the light still on . I have carista and from Glasgow , been off for 2 days aswell and back tomorrow lol ,on back shifts this week but off Sunday and a scan will take less than 10 mins really , I actually live less than five mins from the vw commercial at Swinton

I changed mine 3 weeks ago. 100e +vat for genuine in dealer. It's with pressure sensor so it's more expensive but I heard in Renault it can costs around 300 so we shouldn't cry

Back