Glow Plugs - 1 with a Sensor - Help please

bobbybasic

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi everyone, I've been told by a mechanic that it's ok to replace the glow plug with the sensor with one without. So all 3 glow plugs will be the same. He said he was advised by VW on this.

It seems wrong to me.

Is this correct?

There are 4 glow plugs not 3. Cylinder #3 has a combined glow plug / cylinder pressure sensor.
Replacing #3 with a basic glow plug shouldn’t affect a basic engine however the T6 ECU uses data from the pressure sensor so I’m unsure but suspect that it would affect the running and definitely the fuel economy. There would almost certainly be a fault code.
Other things to consider;
1. Is the electrical plug the same on all - I doubt it?
2. Is the port in the cylinder head the same size thread?

I really can’t imagine VW recommending this, perhaps ask for an email from VW.

Thanks @DXX, I’ve asked for number 3 to be replaced for the glow plug with the sensor, and they’ve obliged.

Turns out the VW dept advising was the parts department, since me pushing back a VW mechanic confirmed it needs to be a proper sensor-plug.

I won’t risk driving it, but probably would be fine. I’m not very good at ignoring engine warning lights

It needs to be the proper glow plug with "in cylinder pressure sensor,"

And it needs coding in add well,

Oops sorry. Just had a moment

No coding needed..

Injectors need coding.....

Hi all, I have a number 3 glow plug fault and wondered know roughly what cost they are and also possibly a part number???? THANKYOU

Back