CTEK split charge system - not charging when on EHU

Emmala93

Hi
We have recently purchased a VW T6. We are a little confused because we have a CTEK split charge system installed but when we are on a site and hooked up to electricity, the battery is NOT charging and we don’t know why. If we turn lights, plugs off etc the battery will then charge but it seems as though when we are using electricity even when on EHU it isn’t charging the battery. We thought that when on EHU the battery percentage shouldn’t go down? How do we know when on EHU if it’s using the solar panel electricity or EHU?
Thanks

On Electric hook up the leisure battery and the starter batteries will only charge if you have a battery charger installed and connected as part of the set up. I think the cetek you refer to is probably this one and if so it only charges the leisure battery from Solar or the starter battery when the engine is running

20438D47-54A0-438A-9DEF-D1A94DB0874B.jpeg

Can you tell us more about your system, and can you post some pictures of any control units or displays ?

Pete

The CTEK has no connection to EHU to charge the leisure battery.
It’s a dc-dc charger which charges the LB from the vehicle alternator.
It also has the ability to charge the LB from a solar panel.
So, when you turn off lights etc on site and the battery charges it’s most likely due to the solar input. When all your things are turned on at this time of year they will take more from the LB than the solar can put back so you will see the LB running down.
You need to install a battery charger that specifically uses the 240v EHU to charge the LB.
Many people, me included, use a Victron blue smart charger.
You can hard wire it into the 5amp rcd on your consumer unit and then connect direct to your leisure battery.
In the short term, or if you’re not happy connecting to the Consumer Unit, you can plug it into a normal 240v plug socket in the van and connect to the LB.
In fact, the wire from the Victron to the LB has a quick connect plug. So, you could wire the connectors permanently to the LB and then when in EHU just plug the Victron charger into a socket in the van and connect the quick connect plug.
Hope that makes sense.

One of these
Connected to LB using the ring connectors as in this picture.4C6B3393-93E1-49E9-82BD-653C9813296A.png

You’re not the first person to be caught out like this, I don’t understand why converters and those selling converted vans don’t make this clear, most people new to this would assume the battery would charge when you connect to the mains at a campsite- plus one for a victron charger

This is in the paperwork we have for the van but I don’t know what this is or where to find it? Thanks everyone
AAE9D216-A468-4124-BF3D-0A26D967AAE7.jpeg

So that is for a battery charger, I’m guessing it’s not connected or switched on properly - any photos of your leisure battery?

So ctek is charging off solar. That’s good.
There’s nothing there to indicate how the Maypole is connected.
It may be plugged in near to your consumer unit but not turned on. Do you know where the CU is? Probably near to where you plug your EHU in.
Something like this
DDD8E237-24F4-483C-A7EB-4EE4281B1683.png

I can’t see the charger connected to the battery- it might be worth a call to whoever you bought the van from asking them where the charger is (it’s not listed on your spec), if it’s a permanent install you should be able to find it.

As above...

Looks like there is no battery charger connected to the EHU...

So it won't charge.

You need to add charger to the EHU.

If you have the maypole charger .... That's good. But I can't see it in any pics.

Or see any part of the EHU system.

More pics will help.

EHU connection point.

Consumer unit, 240v plug sockets etc etc ..

this looks like the EHU feeds the CU and then just the "Sockets" . .

1670173161323.png

so . . .

maybe the Maypole charger is connected to one of the sockets?

are there any hidden in cupboards?

if not maybe the Maypole book is a red herring and you havernt got one?

if not. . then as above, you need one.

see here for more info:

Back