Crispy’s ‘TIPPSY’ - Daily driver, camper and motorbike hauler

Made a few cardboard mock-ups to see what size table top to go with. Also played with the placement of the top on the pivoting support. If I offset off-centre then it’s way more versatile. Depending on rotation and placement it will let two of us comfortably eat at it, one person use it as a decent sized desk or swing it away and an iPad Pro will be at a decent distance for us to watch Netflix or Amazon.

Decided to go with a Caramel Bamboo 420mm x 594mm x 19mm. Lovely textures, strong and relatively lightweight too:

8066C35C-ADDD-4D25-BD2C-B4BEC2044F1E.jpeg

8B3D052F-D65D-4826-86E5-AEE7B80FD327.jpeg

Bamboo looks really nice. Am planning something similar to also carry my bike.

Can I ask what make/type of blade your using to cut the ply so clean. I always get splintering on one side even with a fine blade.

Nice Husky, I used to have the 510R but I had to sell it before it killed me. What a hoot. Life spent on one wheel.

Bamboo looks really nice. Am planning something similar to also carry my bike.

Can I ask what make/type of blade your using to cut the ply so clean. I always get splintering on one side even with a fine blade.

I'm using a Work Sax XL. Mine is the older version but I presume, minus the laser, it's pretty much the same thing: Worx 710W Compact Hand Saw Worxsaw XL WX427 • Worx

I tape off the line I'm going to cut with 2" masking tape and it seems to cut down the blow out and splintering. The wide and 'long' blade also helps with keeping cuts straight. Unless its a curved cut I always use this. The jigsaw just seems too inaccurate now

Everything is coming together. Here’s a couple of pictures of the hi-load drawer and table top lifts. Works a treat.

B043176C-08E1-4D23-AFBD-20DC2B7D02D3.jpeg
404E341A-0748-4275-A523-09DBD9358896.jpeg

...and fitted the L-track. These will eventually be mounted through the ply panels. Had to drill and fit the Rivnuts first. Still got to work out how to transfer the location of the holes through the ply panels. Any ideas?

11A81BEB-40D9-42D8-869F-3A7A256A951E.jpeg

Yeah I did the same. Pre fit with riv nuts.
I ran masking tape from one side to the other. From left most ply panel screw hole to the other.
Then marked where the holes/ricnuts were with a marker.
Then transfer the tape to the ply and align the 2 orig holes to the ply holes.
The ply holes can be slightly off as just screws so I mounted the LTrack 1st.

I did consider some M8 bolts sharpened off to mark the ply but the above just about worked.

I ran masking tape from one side to the other. From left most ply panel screw hole to the other.

I did consider some M8 bolts sharpened off to mark the ply but the above just about worked.

I like your method. I’ll try that

Little detail job today. Designed and laser cut a footprint for the GoalZero 500X. It’ll bolt down to the shelf over the top of the auto carpet. I cut it from 3mm acrylic. Will give the feet in the bottom of the unit somewhere for them to stay relatively secure.

5F2B7CE7-1B5A-4BA7-B9A4-1B9EB1AD9B5C.jpeg

0815E562-0175-4795-8D2F-BF9E77F6E9FC.jpeg

5C57AB77-E2D0-4649-9B9D-0238D9C81E29.jpeg

Worked a treat! Thanks for the guidance on how you transferred the Rivnut locations Onto the ply. 10 M8 bolts through the ply hold it VERY securely. I’m going to laser cut some 12mm circles from 5mm plywood, glue them into the pre-drilled holes and have a nice clean install.

Thanks again @simonnwt6

A little more progress on Tippsy in the last couple of days. The storage/bed unit is in and fits nice and snug. Also got two 1 inch high density foam and 2 inch memory foam mattresses made up. Trimmed them to fit with our trusty old electric carving knife:

IMG_0852.jpg

Flip the top one onto the floor and it's a really generous and comfy space for us to sleep:

IMG_0853.jpg

Covered one of the plywood panels with a complimentary 'tweed' to match the Stone EasyTrim carpet which was also fitted at the weekend. Very happy with how it's turning out:
IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

Need to order some infill strip for the L-Track. It's chuffing sharp!

It is very sharp! Nice going :)
Where did you get the tweed and the foam from ?
Thanks @simonnwt6
The tweed is from a local place in Derby.The owner did tell me what it was called but I can't recall. I'll ask when I see them next. He did say it's for caravan upholstering. The foam was from Mark at Derby Foam

A friend of mine printed four seat bracket blanking plates from a file on another forum thread. They work a treat

2B579648-2CD1-422B-990E-00F9A2BEB949.jpeg

Success! Spent our first couple of nights away in Tippsy and I can honestly say that the mattresses made from 1" medium density foam and 2" of memory foam are incredibly comfortable. The best nights of sleep camping ever. The combo of Dodomat, 3M Thinsulate insulation and strategically place Armaflex is great too. Whilst driving the interior sounds like a car and it's nice and quiet when using it to camp in.
The 19mm bamboo boards have arrived too. I'll shape and soften the edges before I mount it to the Lagun table leg and possibly rout some detail. Maybe even laser etch something into it too?

Can't wait to get a little time working on the van. More pictures after I get home from my first freelance job in a few months!

Wind out awning time!

Has anyone fitted a Thule Omnistor 6300 to their van with a Reimo Multi-rail? I like the low profile of this awning but unsure if it's suitable for a T6? Any guidance and advice much appreciated.

thule-omnistor-6300-260.jpg

thule-6300-awning-64856.jpg

Back