Crazy idea (or is it....)

Yes we've started planning a route based around things we want to see/ experience. General gist is a loop up and over Norway and back though central Europe to Morocco, across to Tunisia, onto Italy then stopping in Bosnia for Christmas, as I have a house and friends there. Then through Montenegro, Greece, Turkey, then across the Caspian Sea into Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Nepal, China, Thailand. At this point we will get the motor shipped to West Coasts USA which will take about a month, during which time we will explore Asia or Australia by plane/ train. Then all the way down the west coast in USA, through Mexico until we hit Ecuador (essential Galapagos Island trip planned). Finally explore South America a bit, before ending in Rio, where we will ship the motor home and then fly back ourselves. What you recon?
Sounds amazing. Not jealous honestly.;)
I also second the t3 synchro as an alternative old school motor.

Last edited:
This has now got me thinking about an engine swap! Something RS Audi based in a modern(ish) transporter??? I have had a couple of V8 RS4's in the past, that could be fun.
I think Ill nip and see the guys at Jabbasport and see what they think is possible

This has now got me thinking about an engine swap! Something RS Audi based in a modern(ish) transporter??? I have had a couple of V8 RS4's in the past, that could be fun.
I think Ill nip and see the guys at Jabbasport and see what they think is possible
It may well be possible but it may not be suited to driving across Siberia to the Far East unless in a convoy supported by a Fuel Tanker which does occur but even then I have known people get a ton of water in their fuel necessitating a strip down and lengthy delays because the Tanker had contaminated fuel. I guess that if someone was loaded then so what just dump it and cadge a lift out or the fun of fixing ones way out of a disater is good for some. I have friends like that, nothing fases them and can comple the most difficult tasks in the most arduous of situations and think litle of it. In fact they thrive on it. There are plenty of people doing these journeys on motorcycles. Good luck

A bit more research and I think I’ve settled on a LWB TSI DSG 4motion with diff lock and then convert into a Swamper. Anybody know how to find a needle in a haystack

Reactions: Loz
Back