Corroded fuel rail

NicolasH

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi guys,

I’ve attached a photo of what I think is the fuel input rail - feel free to correct me if this is wrong!

It looks corroded and I wanted to ask you guys if you think I should replace it, and if so is it a straightforward process?

Your wisdom would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Nick533EDB96-BA38-44A7-BF7F-05E894A1D8C3.jpegEDCC0B34-AC3B-4F80-A526-CE88B012A67A.jpeg

Not the fuel rail itself but one of the high pressure pipes, looks to be the one from the pump to the rail and yes I would replace it, does look very corroded and I don’t see how though

They are usually the last things to rust on an engine - I have not seen one that bad for a very long time. After 30 years you may see a bit. The one at the top is starting to go as well. I wonder if there is some outside influence or just poor quality.

Thanks for replying guys. I was surprised to see them corroded as everything else looks okay.

Do you know if they are easy to replace, and where I would find out the part number?

FYI it’s a 2016 T28 with the 104 engine with 77k miles with a full VW service.

Straight forward to replace just don’t over tighten them and don’t under tighten them also lol, you can buy them individually from vw I know that

Straight forward to replace just don’t over tighten them and don’t under tighten them also lol, you can buy them individually from vw I know that
Thanks @Niknak - any idea where I can find out the part number. My local VW dealer isn’t very helpful.

Hi guys,

I’ve attached a photo of what I think is the fuel input rail - feel free to correct me if this is wrong!

It looks corroded and I wanted to ask you guys if you think I should replace it, and if so is it a straightforward process?

Your wisdom would be appreciated!

Thanks.

NickView attachment 102191View attachment 102192
First thing I did on reading this post was to look and see if you lived on the coast, I was thinking salty air or sea spray, that's not normal!

I live 300 yards from the sea and have never seen anything like that ever on any diesel that I have had. Never seen it on boat engines like that either and they operate in warm salty air all the time and get salt water on them. Very odd.

First thing I did on reading this post was to look and see if you lived on the coast, I was thinking salty air or sea spray, that's not normal!
I live about as far away from the coast as possible! I don’t get it either. Everything else looks completely normal.

Back