Coroded exterior

Lee

T6 Pro
Hi All,

Never noticed this before, it's above the side bars on both sides, all the way along it's got a welded look about it, there's a bit that looks like it might have rusted, is this normal, one of those that once you notice it...

Lee

20180129_124652.jpg

It looks like a door has been catching and that's what's removed the paint and cause it to rust like that.
Is that the sliding door corner?

If you're referring to the textured line, then that should be a sealant I think.

Yes, its the sliding door side that's eroded, can you recommend anything to stop it coroding more?

Yes, its the sliding door side that's eroded, can you recommend anything to stop it coroding more?

I'd look at what's actually caused the paint to be worn off first, or anything you put on to stop the rust will just get taken off if the door is rubbing.
How old is the van?

I think I can just make out what you thought were welds, i'm not sure what that is.
Could they be blisters in the paint that have now come off and exposed the bare metal underneath?

Both bottom door edges do look very close to the rear.
I will pop out and look at mine to compare.

Mine has a nice gap, but it's hard to tell if yours has because of the angle of your picture.

20180129_181601.jpg

I've just had my sliding door in for warranty work. The middle runner came loose and the door dropped onto the paintwork, different area but all repaired under warranty.
Looking at scratches to the right of the rust (1st photo) they follow the door shutting path so id say your door is at fault. Take it back to vw.

I've just had my sliding door in for warranty work. The middle runner came loose and the door dropped onto the paintwork, different area but all repaired under warranty.
Looking at scratches to the right of the rust (1st photo) they follow the door shutting path so id say your door is at fault. Take it back to vw.

Good advice, I'll contact my local VW.

Took into local dealer just now, guy on the desk gave it the once over then sent me to their bodywork supplier down the road, guy there saw the issue, apparently it sits too close and Yes, he agreed it needed sorting, filled in paperwork, he asked if vw had raised a job card, I said no but that I would pop back.

I popped back to VW, the guy said let me just check I've got your details, he then asked for my keys, he and a another guy then went and inspected on there own, he didnt tell me that was what they were doing. He then phoned the bodywork company and the one side of the conversation i heard went like this...

what's the verdict... Yes cos it's a conversion, so yes, a panel van...​

The guy then said that the bodywork team would fire the details over to him, him then to VW and that he'd be in touch.

Not sure what to read into the above, other than it was a bit weird from VW, the other company really Good, VW really off with me.

Let's see what comes back.

Mine is a 65 plate panel can and I had the same when I hit it, door had dropped and damaged Laing the same, took it to vw and they arranged it to go to audi body shop who is part of the lookers group, came back perfect and no signs of rust since, all under warranty no issues

Mine is a 65 plate panel can and I had the same when I hit it, door had dropped and damaged Laing the same, took it to vw and they arranged it to go to audi body shop who is part of the lookers group, came back perfect and no signs of rust since, all under warranty no issues

Good news that, I hope mine has a positive outcome. Was made to feel like I'd voided the warranty by having a conversion :(

Over two weeks and I've still not heard back from VW, I chased my local dealer first thing this morning and he said he would chase, heard nothing back. Really bad support from VW, maybe I've just had the bad luck of having a useless local dealer, not good.

Over two weeks and I've still not heard back from VW, I chased my local dealer first thing this morning and he said he would chase, heard nothing back. Really bad support from VW, maybe I've just had the bad luck of having a useless local dealer, not good.
Is it Wrexham VW ?

So I've had an update. My local van dealer didn't return any calls and it dragged on for over two weeks.

I tweeted about it (not the details but just the fact that nobody returned my calls), within an hour I got a DM asking for my details, spoke to a lady, she said she was from the directors office. She said she would investigate and report back.

So she did some digging around and called back a couple of hours later, the info from the van centre wasn't passed through to anybody, so not surprising that they had no update, was fuming. Anyway, she said she would do some more digging.

Spoke to her a couple of days later, apparently someone in the body shop team had had a family bereavement, I understand I said, sorry to hear that, she mentioned that she would push things through.

Spoke to her earlier today, somebody has looked at it and because its a conversion its not covered, she said it was a panel van and as such, its not covered by the warranty, she said when the windows we're fitted it could have been knocked out of place.

Spoke to the conversion company and they said that the offer a one year conversion warranty and that I know to take it up with VW.

So really gutted, I guess this is a word of warning to anybody buying a panel conversion, VW will have you over a barrel with anything that could possibly be blamed on the conversion :(

Contacted the 3rd party company that my local dealer uses, over £700 if I took out the repairs myself.

Absolutely gutted.

Back