Condensation!

I used to have quite a bit of condensation on my screen
Bought 2 of these off Ebay and not had any at all since, could be partly coincidence but if it's down to the bag then it's worth every penny
Fits nicely in the otherwise useless cubby hole too...... :thumbsup:

20210220_175241.jpg

Have a Search on the forum, there are many threads regarding condensation.
Make sure you fix any leaks and don’t leave wet gear in the van.
Run the AC all year if you have it, heat and most importantly ventilate.
Newbie question warning: when you say run the AC all year round ( here it comes) only when you have the engine running when you are driving? You can’t run the AC when parked up ? Is that correct ?

The aircon only works when the engine is running. You can leave it on when stationary and idling - is that what you men ?

Pete

The aircon only works when the engine is running. You can leave it on when stationary and idling - is that what you men ?

Pete
Thanks Pete: I thought for a minute you might have been saying you could run it all the time even with the engine off but no the engine needs to be running. This is what I thought, I was just double checking Thanks again.

Have been using one of these since late Oct 2020. Does what it says on the tin in a fluctuating Wiltshire climate. Available via Amazon. Very pleased... (A weekly routine of running the systems up, Aircon/Heating/Diesel Heater and a short drive have contributed)

60DD023F-0826-4DA2-909C-FCDFA8DF0603.jpeg

Glad to have found this thread. My T6 Shuttle has condensation on the windscreen at times and I haven't discovered a pattern yet. We have an extendable screen wipe but it gets drenched quickly. We bought a smaller moisture trap similar to the one above and it still gets wet. My wife bought a bag of reusable desiccant which we have put in the tray also.

My worry is, I fitted a roof rack and the small rubber seals are not doing a great job of preventing rain from leaking into the van.

Moisture causes it. Leave a window open a little to balance the air temp. Is the van damp at all. Air it out or put a heater in there for a while and let the air escape.

Glad to have found this thread. My T6 Shuttle has condensation on the windscreen at times and I haven't discovered a pattern yet. We have an extendable screen wipe but it gets drenched quickly. We bought a smaller moisture trap similar to the one above and it still gets wet. My wife bought a bag of reusable desiccant which we have put in the tray also.

My worry is, I fitted a roof rack and the small rubber seals are not doing a great job of preventing rain from leaking into the van.
If you know you've got water ingress from the roof rack mounts then that's the priority - I'd fix that issue rather than continuing to deal with the consequences.

Yes, I have removed the roof rack and put the cover bolts back on, with new tap rubber washers on. Also applied a thin layer of silicon grease to aid.

I have wind deflectors and have left the windows open a couple of centimetres.

The roof lining doesn't appear damp, just the windows at present. I'm installing a diesel heater before not too long, along with a leisure battery. Also putting a simple mains feed into the van via the bonnet and two plugs inside. It will certainly help to put our dehumidifier in.

The roof lining doesn't appear damp, just the windows at present. I'm installing a diesel heater before not too long, along with a leisure battery. Also putting a simple mains feed into the van via the bonnet and two plugs inside. It will certainly help to put our dehumidifier in.
All of the above will help a LOT

You could try window covers to insulate the glass from the cold, either inside or out.

Mate of mine makes these. They fit in to the receiving part of the tailgate latch and allow you to lock the door in the slightly ajar position.

tempImagewAi7p7.png

tempImage22T0Zf.png

Here’s a tip for using a Brandup Airsafe (tailgate ventilation bar). I’ve been using it for a while now and it’s a PITA to align with the tailgate lock, best done with two people with one inside positioning the bar and one outside to close the tailgate.
Obviously this only works if;
1. There are two people.
2. There is enough access to reach the area of the tailgate lock.

In order to make this an outside only, one person job I have attached a small cable tie base (superglued) to the tailgate lock.
Anything similar will work.
Next with the Brandup Airsafe bar in place on the van I placed a loop of strong but thin cord around the end of the bar that will engage in the lock. In my case I used 60lb fishing shock leader as it is strong and will not fray.
Both loose cord ends were then passed through the same eye on the cable tie base and tensioned.
Next the tailgate is slowly closed with one arm while tensioning the cord with the other.
This action lifts and aligns the Brandup Airsafe bar perfectly with the lock.
With the lock is engaged one end of the cord can be pulled to remove the cord from the lock.

View attachment 125873View attachment 125875View attachment 125876View attachment 125877View attachment 125878View attachment 125879
Brandup make similar, this is how I engage it from the outside so I don’t need to move everything inside.

The wife bought a bag of desiccant. It absorbs moisture and can be microwaved to dry it out, to be reused. Not had any further moisture.

But!! Around the same time (New Year), I took the roof rack off as the van is going to have a diesel heater installed. When I put the cover bolts back in, I put thin rubber washers on with a smear of silicon grease before putting the bolts in. I wonder if the original rubber washers, which I noticed were very deformed, without silicon grease were allowing water in?

I bought a small pot of plumbers silicon grease and will use that in future, as it is hydrophobic.

Does anyone find there is a need for a "dehumidifier " when using their van overnight, even if it is one of those pots with silicone crystal things to take moisture out of the atmosphere in the vehicle. Just wondered. I suppose it depends on where you are camping as to whether you can leave a window open.
for our side windows use bubble wrap and get a window skreen that fits on the out side this will stop condece on front window

An issue I was blissfully unaware of until this weekend.Our new conversion came equipped with the internal thermal silver screens to put up on the inside of the windscreen and the driver/passenger windows. With 3 off us plus a dog in the van this weekend down in a very wet Cornwall, we had a lot of condensation each morning, and that was with the side window open for ventilation. I have a couple of queries:
  • Webasto diesel heater - when it's on I know that the dry heat can help in reducing condensation but we will only use it when we actually need heat so it's not likely to get used all the time. I noted that it also has a "ventilation" setting. What exactly does that do? It suggests ventilation obviously, but is it actually circulating air into the van from outside, which should also help reduce condensation?
  • Should I invest in an external screen for the windscreen / front windows instead of using the provided internal screens? I've read that external screens do a better job at preventing condensation. And if so, any recommendations on the best external screens for a T6.1? I'm aware that this would come with the downside of getting wet in rainy conditions but would rather cope with that than internal condensation.
Thanks.

External thermal screens (Rainbow for us) and wind deflectors - we open our front windows a couple of inches behind the screens and the wind deflectors ensure the screens don't block the gap. We also use a thermal screen on the rear window; 3 of us plus 2 dogs and, even in very wet autumnal and winter weather, no condensation on front or rear windows - still get plenty on the side windows but that is a quick mop up job.

An issue I was blissfully unaware of until this weekend.Our new conversion came equipped with the internal thermal silver screens to put up on the inside of the windscreen and the driver/passenger windows. With 3 off us plus a dog in the van this weekend down in a very wet Cornwall, we had a lot of condensation each morning, and that was with the side window open for ventilation. I have a couple of queries:
  • Webasto diesel heater - when it's on I know that the dry heat can help in reducing condensation but we will only use it when we actually need heat so it's not likely to get used all the time. I noted that it also has a "ventilation" setting. What exactly does that do? It suggests ventilation obviously, but is it actually circulating air into the van from outside, which should also help reduce condensation?
  • Should I invest in an external screen for the windscreen / front windows instead of using the provided internal screens? I've read that external screens do a better job at preventing condensation. And if so, any recommendations on the best external screens for a T6.1? I'm aware that this would come with the downside of getting wet in rainy conditions but would rather cope with that than internal condensation.
Thanks.
Rainbow Screens - excellent quality! Subtle and inconspicuous too!!:fast rofl:

View attachment 151288

View attachment 151289

Back