Clutch bleed location - pedal has dropped

Eyetracking

I've spent the afternoon reading threads and watching videos but struggling to find the location of the clutch bleed nipple on a T6 manual.
Do I need to remove anything in the engine bay to get access to it?
Has anybody got a photo of its location?
We've got fluid leaking and the clutch pedal just goes to the floor. I'm hoping to try bleeding the clutch, so I can attempt to drive into town to leave at a garage to fix. We're on a remote island in Scotland - so a temp fix would be preferable to getting recovered on a flat bed.
here's the fluid leaking - not sure if that is a clue as to how bad the problem could be?
We drove back from town yesterday and it was fine, then pedal went to floor when we tried to drive today.
t6-clutch-fluid.jpg

It sounds like the clutch slave cylinder has failed. If it is a 6-speed gearbox, it is a concentric slave cylinder which is located internally in the bellhousing. On the T5.1 that I used to have, there is a bleed nipple on the upper part of the bellhousing/gearbox casing area. You may be able to see the pipes.

Unfortunately, it usually requires the cylinder to be replaced, so the gearbox has to be removed. Don't be surprised to find the clutch and DMF need replaced at the same time

Hi,

Have you tried topping up the fluid level then just pumping the pedal?
Thank you.

The van was parked on downhill a slope so the clutch fluid pick up from the tank was unable to pick up fluid. I jacked up the drivers side front and then pumped the clutch for a while and it came back. Quickly turned the van around to point up the hill and filled the reservoir up.

Think I've got an expensive visit to the garage coming up soon....

It sounds like the clutch slave cylinder has failed. If it is a 6-speed gearbox, it is a concentric slave cylinder which is located internally in the bellhousing. On the T5.1 that I used to have, there is a bleed nipple on the upper part of the bellhousing/gearbox casing area. You may be able to see the pipes.

Unfortunately, it usually requires the cylinder to be replaced, so the gearbox has to be removed. Don't be surprised to find the clutch and DMF need replaced at the same time
thank you. I'll warn the garage.

I did manage to limp mine on for a few weeks, so hopefully you’ll get home. Try not to press the clutch fully down if possible.

From what i’ve read its under the gearshift mechanism and accessible when certain gears are selected.

I have this on a few of our vans, the fluid can start to turn into jelly, allot of garage forget to do clutch when doing brake fluid change, it will sometimes cause pedal to stay down and have to flick it up with your toe. Change guild every 3 years. If loosing fluid, slave cylinder knackered.

I've spent the afternoon reading threads and watching videos but struggling to find the location of the clutch bleed nipple on a T6 manual.
Do I need to remove anything in the engine bay to get access to it?
Has anybody got a photo of its location?
We've got fluid leaking and the clutch pedal just goes to the floor. I'm hoping to try bleeding the clutch, so I can attempt to drive into town to leave at a garage to fix. We're on a remote island in Scotland - so a temp fix would be preferable to getting recovered on a flat bed.
here's the fluid leaking - not sure if that is a clue as to how bad the problem could be?
We drove back from town yesterday and it was fine, then pedal went to floor when we tried to drive today.
View attachment 208260
That’s not the bleed nipple!

The story so far.

We've learnt to keep topping up the reservoir with DOT4 after every journey. There's no simple logic to the speed of the leak. Sometimes it doesn't need topping up for days and other times it will drop all the fluid overnight. We've tried parking in different orientations - but it feels just random. If it's dropped all the fluid we just fill to the brim, flex the reservoir to encourage more flow when filling and then spend about 15 minutes pumping the clutch pedal by hand and then by foot. The first 5 minutes feel like nothing is happening but then you get a bit of resistance and then it builds up some pressure quickly. I've not worked out an optimal technique - seems you just got to pump it lots initially and just keep going, even though it feels nothing is happening. I must be pumping 60 times a second for the first five minutes.

Had to wait a month before a garage would look at the van. They've just had a look and said the gearbox/clutch needs dropping to fix it. They earliest they can do it is in 3 months time. :-(

We're on the Isle of Lewis. Options at the moment are find a mainland garage in Inverness or further afield. Wait until November and use a local garage. Or get on YouTube and learn how to do it myself on the driveway.

I'll post an update when we get it fixed.

The story so far.

We've learnt to keep topping up the reservoir with DOT4 after every journey. There's no simple logic to the speed of the leak. Sometimes it doesn't need topping up for days and other times it will drop all the fluid overnight. We've tried parking in different orientations - but it feels just random. If it's dropped all the fluid we just fill to the brim, flex the reservoir to encourage more flow when filling and then spend about 15 minutes pumping the clutch pedal by hand and then by foot. The first 5 minutes feel like nothing is happening but then you get a bit of resistance and then it builds up some pressure quickly. I've not worked out an optimal technique - seems you just got to pump it lots initially and just keep going, even though it feels nothing is happening. I must be pumping 60 times a second for the first five minutes.

Had to wait a month before a garage would look at the van. They've just had a look and said the gearbox/clutch needs dropping to fix it. They earliest they can do it is in 3 months time. :-(

We're on the Isle of Lewis. Options at the moment are find a mainland garage in Inverness or further afield. Wait until November and use a local garage. Or get on YouTube and learn how to do it myself on the driveway.

I'll post an update when we get it fixed.

Unless you've had a clutch / DMF fitted and you're happy that both are in very good condition it makes sense to replace both while the whole thing is in bits.

Back