clacking noise under power on right hand corners

paulh123

Hi all,

Some help from the collective please.
2016, manual t6, t30, 140bhp.
Drove 70m home from London yesterday, nothing to note on the journey but coming off the motorway i started to hear a clicking/clacking noise, regular pattern, rotational? that seems to be mainly on right hand turning under load. It sounds a bit like a torque wrench click/clack, if that make sense but obviously loader. A bit more investigation today. Nothing loose, nothing hanging down under the van, no fluids on ground, nothing in tyres/wheel arches. Drove it round a car park to test. definitely only under load, predominantly right hand turn but a bit also under left hand turning as well. Noise 'appears' to be from nearside front. I'm suspecting drive drive shaft issue and when I got home I looked under the van at the nearside drive shaft, felt around the wheel end and there is grease and the gaiter is split.

I think I've probably answered my own question on the cause of the sound but would welcome opinions if I'm right to assume the drive shaft and if I should consider anything else.
Also, It has only just started. Only present under low gear tight turning. Is it OK to drive for a couple of weeks until I get a garage lined up? Likely only do some low milage local journeys and 2 trips to London and back. thoughts?

Thanks Guys

You don’t need to replace the whole drive shaft just the CV joint which is cheap and quick repair
Whether it is safe to drive, that depends on how worn it is. I’ve let one go way too far on a car before and it was pulling the car across the road when steering in a straight line and accelerating, obviously not roadworthy in that case.
Have a look at the MOT testers manual on Gov.uk, it’s definitely deemed a Fail, not sure if it’s a drive away or classed as Dangerous.

You don’t need to replace the whole drive shaft just the CV joint which is cheap and quick repair
Whether it is safe to drive, that depends on how worn it is. I’ve let one go way too far on a car before and it was pulling the car across the road when steering in a straight line and accelerating, obviously not roadworthy in that case.
Have a look at the MOT testers manual on Gov.uk, it’s definitely deemed a Fail, not sure if it’s a drive away or classed as Dangerous.
Thanks DXX - appreciated

Back